Re: Tolmie
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 December 09 15:01 GMT (UK) »
hi all  :)

in 1881 1 largo place north leith edinburgh
alexander tolmie 45 born cyrus kincardineshire
wife hellen 44
children easther 20 , mary ann 18 , isabella 13 , jessie 10 , alexander 15 ,
john 7

this could be alexander with parents in 1841(freeCEN)
mains of dun , dun , angus
alexander tolemy 40 born outside census county
ann tolemy 40 born occ
margaret tolemy 15 born occ
catherine tolemy 14 born occ
ann tolemy 7 born occ
alex tolemy 6 born occ
mary tolemy born angus

the IGI entry for mary tolemy born 1839 dun angus , parents alexander tolemy
and ann tolemy would seem to match the details for alexander tolmie born
st cyrus kincardineshire

there are some submitted entries(IGI) for other children of alexander and ann
which give birthplace as ross & cromarty

ev

Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 December 09 19:36 GMT (UK) »
I have all of the children, and also their husbands and children. I have done a few searches on s/p and Alexander is born to a Alexander Tolmie and Mary Christie, the others are to Alexander Tolmie and Ann Tolmie. Could it be possible if Alexander married twice.

Ann

Offline Rosemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 September 10 12:42 BST (UK) »
I've only very recently discovered that TOLMIE is now another family line for me to follow.  I found several chat messages here, and feel that I may, possibly, have hit the jackpot. (Hope springs eternal).  If I'm correct, then Ann Tolmie - born 1835 - may just be my great great grandmother.  [The line I'm actually following directly is STUART/STEWART.]

My great grandmother was Mary STUART, nee MACDONALD
Her mother was Ann MACDONALD, nee TOLMIE

All I can verify at the moment is that Ann TOLMIE married a John MACDONALD who was a boilermaker,  and Mary was one of their offspring.  I think that Mary would have been born about 1855.  This is information gathered from Mary's Death Certificate.  At the time of Mary's death (1916 in Dundee), both parents, John and Ann, were deceased.

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be marvellous.  Many thanks,  Rosemac

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Researching my son-in-laws tree at the moment and just discovered his great great grandfather was John Tolmie c 1825 birthplace either Urray or Fodderty parents Alexander and Ann Tolmie.  He married Catherine Adam born Tealing c1832 in Dundee in 1851. I've been struggling to find any trace of him prior to his marriage but thanks to this thread have traced him to Dun in 1841 under Tolemy!  :) He was in the bothy away from the rest of the family.  His daughter Isabella was born in 1855 (the magic year) he was the toll keeper at Newford Park Toll, Forfar.  By 1871 he was a road labourer and residing in Dura Street Dundee.  He died in 1898 aged 72 at Viewbank Cottage, Clepington Road, Dundee, his occupation is given as road inspector. 
Kincardineshire - Beattie Dickson Tavendale Donaldson Whyte Wishart
Forfar - Adam Grindlay Easson Fyffe Livestone Wilson Fairweather Boath
Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland
Angus - Saunders, McGregor Richardson  Moore.
Inverness-shire - McLean (I hope)

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Alexander Tolmie born 1835
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 March 16 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Just been doing a bit more research on the Tolmie family and found Alex on the 1851 census at Woodside of Craigo, Logie Pert aged 16 born St Cyrus.
 1851 census also shows Alex Tolmie senior, his wife Ann Tolmie along with their youngest daughter Mary aged 12 born Dun, at Mains of Logie, Logie Pert.
On checking S/P for a birth for Alexander Tolmie found him born 14th August, 1835, Tottnies ? St Cyrus, parents Alexander and Ann Tolmie.  He seems to be the only Alexander Tolmie born in Kincardineshire for the year 1835, which makes it all the more puzzling why on his marriage certificate his mother's name is given as Mary Christie.
There is no Tolmie/Christie marriage showing on OPR.
Jen
Kincardineshire - Beattie Dickson Tavendale Donaldson Whyte Wishart
Forfar - Adam Grindlay Easson Fyffe Livestone Wilson Fairweather Boath
Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland
Angus - Saunders, McGregor Richardson  Moore.
Inverness-shire - McLean (I hope)