Author Topic: Solomon Lee /Annie Lee/Buckley  (Read 6896 times)

Offline Sharon Romany

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Solomon Lee /Annie Lee/Buckley
« on: Sunday 06 December 09 16:47 GMT (UK) »

Hi all researchers any help what so ever would be appreciated,I am trying with no luck at all on finding out about my Grt Grt grandfather Solomon Lee,the only info I have is that he was at the wedding of his daughter Annie Lee in 1903 marriage to Duey( Duriah) Buckley Franks son, she would have been 19  they lived in Bidder street in the county of West Ham, the marriage certificate states fathers name and surname as Solomon Lee and profession Labourer it was witnessed by B.H Pullinger and E.J Sledgwick  the wedding took place in St Gabriel's Canning Town, sadly I do not know who my grt grt gran was and have no info on her,I was hoping that someone out there is doing a tree on My Lee surname and could possibly shed some light, I know there are many Lee researchers but he must be known somewhere,I have lots of Buckley info which is fantastic and have shared  lots of this with other Buckley researchers,I would also like to add that I have never found a birth or baptism certificate for my grt gran Buckley, hope to hear from someone soon.

thankyou in advance Sharon
Bigginton/Biggington  Woolwich/ Canterbury/Deptford/Lewisham
Buckley,Essex,Canning Town,Eastwood,Rochford,
Lee,Essex,WestHam
Howsego,Essex,Canning Town,Westham,
Cooper,Essex,Dagenham
Freshney.
Litson

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Solomon Lee /Annie Lee/Buckley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 December 09 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have you looked for Solomon and Annie on 1891/1901 census? 

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sharon Romany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 December 09 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi nanny Jan, thankyou for your quick responce to my query: I have not managed to find Solomon on any census, the only one time that I managed to find my grt gran Buckley was on the 1911 while she was married to Duriah and I believe living in Barking with there children.It just seems so weird that he does not appear anywhere,I remember my grt gran so well and visited her often, but sadly being so young can not recall any conversation that may have been spoken of her father.
Lee,Essex,WestHam
Cooper,Essex,Dagenham
Freshney.
Litson

Offline anla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 December 09 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Reference your search for Solomon Lee of West Ham.  If you have no luck with census returns etc., you might try the following website.

http://www.newhamstory.com/forums/

It is a site used by old and new members of Newham. Someone on the site my have a memory of this person. If he has Gypsy blood, there is a lady named Sandra, who frequents the site, and she has a personal tree of all the Lee's in West Ham. It is a small site, so you may have to wait a while before you get any replies.
Good luck

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 December 09 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

If your Lees are of Gypsy extraction be aware that they may not always be in Essex at census times. 

One of my grandmother's brothers married a Romany lady Councellatta (Councie).  In the 1901 census the family of her grandfather were in Felsted, her grandfather was described as Horse Dealer and Farmer and the address was " Caravan in a field". in another census "Caravan in Bury Water Lane, Newport, Essex, in all four Censuses from 1871 to 1901 the family were anywhere but Writtle.  Councie's father was born in Writtle, one of his brothers was born in Camebridgeshire, other siblings were born in various parishes in Essex, mostly Writtle.  Councie herself went travelling with her parents and siblings but I have no knowledge of where.

Also you need to be aware that Gypsies did not always register births, I'm not sure if the same applies to marriages, I suppose births and/or baptisms could be recorded in other parishes/counties.

A site which may help is the Romany and Traveller Family History Society http://www.rtfhs.org.uk/

Regards

Modified to remove a glaring error  :-[
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sharon Romany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi thankyou so much for your info,I totally agree what you are saying findem about not being in one place ect we have found this quite a bit,I will just keep looking in a hope something will come up about him.

Anla I have been on that site before,I believe my daughter has had conversations with Sandra,I think Sandra may have the same line of Lee in her tree because I remember my mum telling me that the Lee's that lived by us when I was a young girl were her 2nd cousin,I have spoken to one of them called Frankie who remembers quite a bit he is in his 70s but still has a good memory,but unfortunately not of  my grt grt grandad,I think most of his brothers and sisters have passed away now also. I remember most of his brothers and sisters as they lived near me we visited one of his sisters often she was called missey (misserlie) her hubby was a rag and bone man,maybe I will contact Sandra maybe my solomon was a brother to one of her relative,must fit somewhere.

thanks again Sharon
Lee,Essex,WestHam
Cooper,Essex,Dagenham
Freshney.
Litson

Offline Sandra S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 January 10 17:51 GMT (UK) »

Offline Sharon Romany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 January 10 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra yes its me,thanks for your reply i just keep searching for Solomon its such a pain Kate said we will probrably wont find him but somethings telling me to keep looking so hence the messages.I as a child of about 9 remember a missey as she was called then she married a man that was refered as Nockey Hicks they had one daughter Janice he was what was known as a caller he used to go out with his truck and collect old clothes, I quess others would know him as a rag n bone man,we used to visit missey quite often my mum having at the time 6 kids used buy our clothes from missey she had a large shed in her garden of which we were able to sort through and buy, I remember at the time being very excited at the thought of the visit. Kate does'nt know how lucky she was as a child,anyway im going off the subject I know Frankie Lee even today it was only a matter of months ago I was at his house I know the family very well he was my mums cousin somewhere along the line and was a best friend to my dad, I also remember as a child a few of his brothers we all lived close to one another so there kids were of the same age as me.If I can help with any of your Lee side drop me a line if I dont know it I will find out for you because they only live 20 mins from me,in the mean time I will keep searching for my Solomon.
regards Sharon
Lee,Essex,WestHam
Cooper,Essex,Dagenham
Freshney.
Litson

Offline Sandra S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile