Author Topic: Stewart  (Read 4219 times)

Offline Norah Rice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Stewart
« on: Saturday 12 March 05 20:33 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information on the family of my grandfather, Frederick Staples Stewart, b. 1866, Buncrana, Donegal.  His father was John Stewart, b. 1821, Donegal and his mother was Margaret Longwell (Longwill?) b. 1825 in Donegal.  They were m. 11 Jan. 1846 in Lower Fahan (would love to know in what church!).  Frederick had many siblings but the only names I know are those of two brothers, Jack and Charles.  Several of his siblings went to Australia and New Zld. in the late 1800s.  Frederick immigrated to Ontario, Canada between1911-1913 and m. Mary Duguid of Scotland.  I believe that many of his siblings remained in the Donegal area.  Any information would be greatly appreciated or any suggestions as to where to go next.  Thanks very much!
Norah Rice, Jasper, GA USA

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 March 05 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Norah,

I can't tell you what church, but I do have some info for you!

John Stewart was 32 at the time of his marriage to Margaret Longwill, John's father was John Stewart, a sailor.  And Margaret's was Matthew Longwill, a butcher.

My best guess is that they were married in the Parish Church of Fahan Lower = FHL film #101276, Marriages, Volume 6 1846.
page 201.

I had a friend look up this particular marriage in Salt Lake City last year.  I am also searching for Stewarts in Donegal, without much success!! 

Hope this helps
Debbie
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 March 05 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

Here are my Stewarts - from an earlier post on this board.   :)

Richard Stewart was born in Donegal (Parish unknown) about 1831, he was the son of  Richard Stewart, a farmer, and Anne Moore.

Catherine Stewart was born in Donegal (Parish unknown) about 1836.  She was the daughter of Thomas Stewart, a farmer, and Mary Douall or Dowall.
Catherine also had a sister Jane born in Ireland bet. 1831/1836. 
Jane eventually married Joseph Salisbury in Duntocher, DNB. Nov. 6, 1866.

Richard Stewart married Catherine Stewart Aug. 24, 1857 at the Church of Scotland, Duntocher, Dumbartonshire.  The bride and groom were noted to be second cousins, and one of the witnesses is Edward Moore, who might also be a cousin or an Uncle?
Richard & Catherine had a large family in Duntocher, and descendants still live in the Village.

I would really like to find further info on Richard Stewart & Ann Moore, also Thomas Stewart & Mary Douall in Donegal.  Richard & Thomas must have been 1st cousins?
Does anyone recognize this family group?
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline Norah Rice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 March 05 03:31 GMT (UK) »
Good evening!!!  I am SO happy to hear from you!  I can't tell you how excited I am about finding some information.  I am a little confused though..about the connection of these Stewarts.  I did see your posting on Richard and because I don't know the names of all of my grandfather's brothers or the names of any of his other family members, I don't understand how they are related. I greatly appreciate your information on my Ggrandfather, John Stewart and my Ggrandmother, Margaret Longwill Stewart.  Are we connected do you think?  And you mentioned that you had looked in to the marriage records of John and Margaret?  Because of your connection or while trying to find out if you were connected?

Thank you so very much!  I am just so appreciative of anything I can find.... ;)..on this family!  I can't wait to call my Canadian cousins and share this information tomorrow night!

Norah

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 March 05 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Norah,

I don't know if I am connected to your family.... yet.   :)

My pal Eunice was going to Salt Lake, and I asked her to look up 3 Stewart Marriages - the one in Fahan Lower, and two in Clondahorky.  I was hoping that I might find a sibling for my Richard born in 1831.  He married in Scotland, and I knew his fathers name was Richard also.
It was a long shot, and unfortunately it didn't work out. 
But.... like you say.... it could be a brother, or a cousin to your GGrandfather??

Debbie

Offline Norah Rice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 March 05 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks SO much Debbie!  You have given me some great information and I appreciate it.  Please keep in touch!

Norah