Author Topic: McMAHON Family  (Read 13609 times)

Offline partes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McMAHON Family
« on: Sunday 06 December 09 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for any information about the family of my ancestor Philip McMahon.  He was married to Elizabeth MEEHAN, and had at least one child that I know of (my great grandfather) John McMahon who was baptised on 12/12/1830 in the parish of DRUMGOON.  I have found a reference to the death of a Philip McMahan in Castletara on 14/11/1868.  He lived in Corrahanoo, but I am not certain if this is my Philip McMahon or not.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could confirm this?  And how would I go about tracing Philip McMahon's own parents and any other children he and his wife Elizabeth might have had?

Offline BrightonDCO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McMAHON Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 July 11 16:51 BST (UK) »
I have a great-great grandfather named John McMahon.  I believe that he was born in Ireland about 1830 and he subsequently married Jane Coyle.  My John had a son Thomas McMahon who married Agnes McCann in Kilmarnock, Scotland on 1 Jan 1866.  This family is Catholic.   Could he be the one that you are looking for?
Blair-Lanarkshire & Stirlingshire
McMahon-Ayrshire & Ireland
Dun-Lanarkshire & Stirlingshire
McGowan-Ayrshire & Ireland

Offline scottishlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 July 12 22:56 BST (UK) »
I have a great-great grandfather named John McMahon.  I believe that he was born in Ireland about 1830 and he subsequently married Jane Coyle.  My John had a son Thomas McMahon who married Agnes McCann in Kilmarnock, Scotland on 1 Jan 1866.  This family is Catholic.   Could he be the one that you are looking for?

I am looking for information about my ggg grandfather, John McMahon.  His wife was Jane Nelson or Neilson.  Their son, Francis McMahon, was born around 1855 and I bought a copy of a birth certificate but the mother's name was Jane COYLE.  Maybe this is your family?  I'll try to post a copy on here once I get it scanned.

(Kilmarnock Male Birth, Francis McMahon, 17 July 1855, Father John McMahon, Coal Miner, 35 years, County Monaghan Ireland, Mother Jane McMahon, Maiden Name Coyle, 39 years, County Down, Ireland, married 1844 Kilmarnock, her 6th child, 2 boys living, 1 girl living, 2 boys dead)

I'm a Glasgow McMahon and I've traced them back to 1851 here but I don't know where in Ireland they're from.  The 1861 census names a daughter, Rosina, born Ireland in 1856 and I'm hoping to get lucky with her.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 July 12 23:22 BST (UK) »

There was a Rose McMahon born to a John McMahon and Jane Nelson in 1855 in Co. Donegal, is this a possibility?

Offline scottishlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 July 12 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks for the reply.  I have details of a Rose McMahon born Killygordon, County Donegal 1st April 1855 but she's named Rosina on all other documents I have.  Also, I can't find any info on John McMahon's parents (John McMahon Joiner Journeyman and Helen Cassidy) or Jane Neilson's parents (James Neilson Ship's Carpenter and Rose-ann Devine, formerly Neilson, Maiden Surname Gallacher) in County Donegal but to be fair, I've not been searching for long.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 July 12 08:46 BST (UK) »
... I can't find any info on John McMahon's parents (John McMahon Joiner Journeyman and Helen Cassidy) ...
If the names have been found in Scottish records- Helen is used in Scotland but in Ireland Ellen is the more common form of the name so don't be surprised if her name was actually Ellen Cassidy.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BrightonDCO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 July 12 21:08 BST (UK) »
Scottishlady,

Thank you for he information about John McMahon and Jane Coyle.  They are my family and the info about their children is in the Scotland census.  I will keep my eye out for info on your line.

Offline BrightonDCO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 July 12 23:08 BST (UK) »
Scottishlady,

I have found a Rosina McMahon (1856-1898).  She married John McLetchie and had 7 children.  I have requested some further information about this Rosina.  I will let you know what I find out.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 July 12 04:36 BST (UK) »

That's the same Rosina in 1875, father was recorded as John, joiner (journeyman) deceased and mother as Jane, maiden surname Nelson, brother Francis was a witness...