Author Topic: McMAHON Family  (Read 13547 times)

Offline scottishlady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McMAHON Family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 11:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone!  I have Rosina's marriage and death certs, I just can't find where in Ireland she was born and I'm hoping that when I do find her, I'll be able to find where in Ireland my family are from.  I didn't know 'Helen' may be 'Ellen' so I'm off on a new search with that. 

Offline BrightonDCO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 August 12 01:59 BST (UK) »
Scottish Lady,
According to my research, the two main McMahon families came from county Monaghan and County Clare.  My John McMahon was Catholic and came from Monaghan.  So I belive that if you know the religion of your ancestors, that may give you a clue as to where they came from.
Blair-Lanarkshire & Stirlingshire
McMahon-Ayrshire & Ireland
Dun-Lanarkshire & Stirlingshire
McGowan-Ayrshire & Ireland

Offline McMahon-Lynch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 November 12 09:08 GMT (UK) »
I just saw your post, and the mention of Corrahanoo, but you might want to look at the McMahons of Corragloon, Crossbane, Cavan (on the Cavan/Meath border). I descend from this particular McMahon family and there are several Philips on my tree.

Do you happen to know what year your Philip was born, or if he remained in Cavan? The majority of my McMahon family left Ireland by the early 1900s, moving on the US, Scotland, UK and Australia.

Hi, I am looking for any information about the family of my ancestor Philip McMahon.  He was married to Elizabeth MEEHAN, and had at least one child that I know of (my great grandfather) John McMahon who was baptised on 12/12/1830 in the parish of DRUMGOON.  I have found a reference to the death of a Philip McMahan in Castletara on 14/11/1868.  He lived in Corrahanoo, but I am not certain if this is my Philip McMahon or not.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could confirm this?  And how would I go about tracing Philip McMahon's own parents and any other children he and his wife Elizabeth might have had?

MacMahon/McMahon, Lynch, Reilly, Carolan, and Dolan families of Carrigagh, Moynalty, Meath, Ireland; Lynch family of Corragloon, Mullagh/Virginia, Cavan; Mulvany, Fitzsimons and Lynch of Edenburt and Whitegate, Kells, Meath.

Offline McMahon-Lynch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 December 12 07:02 GMT (UK) »
If this is indeed your Philip McMahon, I am fairly certain that he is somehow related to my family. I was recently sent some records as a Christmas present of sorts and it shows my family is living at Drumagolan/Drumagoon, as well as Corragloon and Corboggy.  I am curious what other information you have found out since your last post.

Hi, I am looking for any information about the family of my ancestor Philip McMahon.  He was married to Elizabeth MEEHAN, and had at least one child that I know of (my great grandfather) John McMahon who was baptised on 12/12/1830 in the parish of DRUMGOON.  I have found a reference to the death of a Philip McMahan in Castletara on 14/11/1868.  He lived in Corrahanoo, but I am not certain if this is my Philip McMahon or not.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could confirm this?  And how would I go about tracing Philip McMahon's own parents and any other children he and his wife Elizabeth might have had?
MacMahon/McMahon, Lynch, Reilly, Carolan, and Dolan families of Carrigagh, Moynalty, Meath, Ireland; Lynch family of Corragloon, Mullagh/Virginia, Cavan; Mulvany, Fitzsimons and Lynch of Edenburt and Whitegate, Kells, Meath.

Offline normanarey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 December 17 19:34 GMT (UK) »
 :)re McMahon's...have been doing my family tree for over forty years lol and cannot find anything about my grt grt grt grandfather John Mcmahon who was born about 1831 in Ireland.  On a census he said he was born in meath.  He married a Mary Clark in Dundee in 1853 and he is on the 1851 census in Dundee on his own. His wife to be was with her own parents......I have looked at other people with the Mcmahon name who around the same age as John and have paid for their birth marriage and death certificates only to find they are not his brothers or sisters.....John's parents on his death certificate are listed as Michael McMahon and Catherine Conlay which his wife Mary listed
so you think she would know what they were called.....John had kid called Michael who was actually called James, Susan another name that crops up and as it is an unusual name for around that time
anything mentioning that name I take a note of. They also had Catherine, Mary Ann, Helen, Sarah Jane Mcmahon my grt grt grandmother, a john and many more...easy seeing not much going on where they were living....lol.... If anyone could help me with this problem for forty years I would be very grateful.....Get in contact if you are looking for certificates as I might have them...
Mary Clark was born to a Peter Clark  in Shercock  ...and a Sarah Lennan. Again few information on them although Sarah Lennan had a son previously  and was called Joseph Palles  His father was called Christopher....Sarah with Joseph have a well known establishment in Dundee called the Palais in Tay Street. I have information sheet with them applying for a licence in Ireland so it is quite interesting and JOSEPH PALLES is a Chelsea pensioner who by all means was a great soldier....

Other names I am looking for are NAREYS /NEARYS/ NARYS AND MCCORMACKS AND MCORMICKS
I have been stuck on a MARTIN NAREY WHO MARRIED ANN MCCORMACK...MARTIN BORN AROUND 1800.....MARTIN and Ann had a son called JOHN NAREY who is mine and was born in Philipstown, Dainegan Co Offally .....

If anyone has any information on any of these beautiful Irish people can you please let me know.. its becoming an  irritating obsession to find just whereabouts they stem from and probably will be for another twenty years.....lol...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 December 17 23:04 GMT (UK) »
John's parents on his death certificate are listed as Michael McMahon and Catherine Conlay which his wife Mary listed so you think she would know what they were called....
Maybe not- possibly she never met them and husband didn't talk much about his family.

What religion were these families? lots of Irish Catholic parish registers online (free but coverage varies)- you need to browse through by parish-
https://registers.nli.ie/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kathy fr Canada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 04:03 BST (UK) »
I am the adopted great-great-granddaughter of a John McMahon who ended up in Ontario Canada after immigrating in about 1852. According to a family Bible, John McMahon was born August 21, 1821 in "Ireland" - no county names appear on any record.  He married Elizabeth McKee (also bornin Ireland 1826 - 1879) on Oct 23 1848 in a Presbyterian service, in Ontario, Canada and then went back to Liverpool. After losing 3 children, they returned to Canada and had a bunch more kids including my great-grandfather James John.  The names James, Mary, Robert, Elizabeth and John reappear in the family.  The only possible family I could find were Phill and Mary who had a 5yr old James, and a baby John in the 1821 Census in (Drumnevegh?) Lavey, County Cavan. I'm looking for more clues.  After tracing John this far, I have really hit the wall. 

Offline Croy Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 April 18 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi i have a GG Great Grandfather Philip Graham who married an Elizabeth Mcmahon .They came to Scotland and were married on 1841 cencus for Airdrie.age 25.There was also a James Mcmahon wife Bridget living in same house as Philip and Elizabeth.They were all from co Cavan Ireland.Wondering if they were any connection to your Mcmahons.Philip and Elizabeths son was named John.He was my Great great grandfather.

Marguerite

Offline Kathy fr Canada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 April 18 15:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for responding Marguerite.  It all depends on dates.  I believe I had seen Bridget and James' name come up but the dates didn't jibe with the birth of my ancestor John.  One thing I hadn't done was search any Jack.  I have an uncle Jack, who's name is actually John.