Author Topic: O'REGAN, all areas, John, Thomas, Arthur  (Read 3709 times)

Offline toedwar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'REGAN, all areas, John, Thomas, Arthur
« on: Tuesday 08 December 09 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Interested in the O'Regan line from county Clare, Ireland.   My direct line starts with Rev. Thomas O'Regan, b. 1821 in co. Clare (I believe in Ennis), son of John O'Regan, a merchant in Ennis, co. Clare.   Thomas attended Trinity College Dublin (1837-1840), became Vicar of Donington Wood, Shropshire, England 1850-1900, and died 1902.  He married Elizabeth (believe Bateman) and had issue 4 daughters, Letitia, Florence, Edith and Alice, and 1 son, Arthur Rowland Thomas, b. 1856.    To my knowledge, Alice was the only daughter to marry, she married Guy Percy Edwards in London on 5 Mar 1889 and had 1 son, Guy Henry Thomas Edwards who emigrated to Canada in 1910 with his mother after Guy Percy's death in 1902, and is my grandfather.  

I am also interested in the line of Rev. John O'Regan, b. 1818 Ennis, co. Clare, attended Trinity College Dublin, Vicar of Finglas, Archdeacon of Kildare, married Helen Eliza Amelia Hamilton 1869 and had a son John Rowan Hamilton O'Regan b. 1870, d. 1922, Master at Marlborough College.   I believe Rev. Thomas O'Regan and Rev. John O'Regan were brothers as their listings in Alumni Dublinensis each show them as son of John O'Regan, merchant, Ennis and in Pigot's Directory (1824) there is a listing for a John O'Regan, Corn Merchant.  Some accounts indicate that Rev. John O'Regan had a sister but I have no other information on their parents or other siblings.   John Rowan Hamilton O'Regan married Phoebe Alice Abbott in 1912 and they had three sons, John, Michael and Patrick, all of whom were educated at Marlborough College and Oxford.   A biography of Sir William Rowan Hamilton in the Irish Astronomical Journal in 1966 states that there were five great-great-grandchildren of Sir William at that time, however I have no records for them.   I would very much like to contact any living descendents of Rev. John O'Regan and Helen E.A. Hamilton.

Tom
Cheshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Worcestershire: Edwards, O'Regan, Brewster, Jones, Pitt
Kent: Warde, Francis, Woodgate
Ireland: O'Regan (co. Clare), Bateman (co. Kerry)
South America: O'Regan
Canada (Quebec, NB): Sayers, Sayer, Taylor

Offline calixbooks

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O'REGAN, all areas, John, Thomas, Arthur
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 May 18 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have a book, it is a Hebrew to Latin Dictionary printed in 1640 with the bookplate of John Rowan Hamilton O'Regan, the author of the work about World War 1 and leading up to it. It is a massive book, 2,679 pages and is in good condition. If you are interested, please advise,

Many thanks,
Richard Gabriel
Proprietor
Calix Books
www.calixbooks.com
Gabriel@calixbooks.com