Author Topic: Devon Travellers - Sanders  (Read 17414 times)

Offline Ian2904

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Devon Travellers - Sanders
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian we must be related aswell then??I cant place you at the moment??please enlighten me? .

Cathay,

I started this thread several years ago, and we have corresponded on and off over that time.  As mentioned, I'm Phoebe Sanders' grandson.  The kick starter I had to researching my family tree was when I was on holiday in Devon, and my Dad said to go to Stibb Cross and see what it looks like now.  Driving up some narrow road, I followed a truck, and on the back of that was P.M. Sanders!  Given the name and given the location, it seemed as if there could have been a family connection.  Following that name up with the hauliers register gave me name Paul Moses Sanders.  Now that's not a common name! 

Regards

Ian
Hughes - Devon Romany family
Sanders - Devon Romany family
Penfold - Devon Romany family
Kelly - West Ham London
Wood - Stanford Rivers Essex
Gentry - Stratford London
Trew - Stratford London

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 18:49 BST (UK) »
yes we believe P<M<sanders is Paul whose mother is my husband fathers sister Eileen who was married to Moses sanders.n.Devon.Paul is my husbands 1st cousin.going to look at helping more as soon as I get time.regards Cathay Birch
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline jennydo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian and Cathay thank you for info on your families and Henry and Harriet children born after 1911 census think may have memories of louie from my childhood . I think Harriet's parents Alfred Penfold Louisa Small but can't find Henry Sanders parents yet ! Jenny

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 04 May 17 12:10 BST (UK) »
henry son of harriet and henry married betsy penfold her mother was a orchard I don't yet know her father or mothers maiden name as I haven't really done much on this part of the tree but I will over the week end.
henry their son was born 1915 and he and betsy had moses in 1938 and he married Eileen birch born 1939.they had 3 children still living so cant mention them but moses died very young in 1977 of a heart attack.i think henry born 1915 was one of a twin but I will need to check that,
harriet was born 1883 and died 1954 her husband henry was born 1883
Harriets perants were in deed Alfred sanders and Louisa small.
I haven't done much on this tree but will be doing it over the week end and hope to get back to you by Monday next week.henry born 1883 is a bit difficult cause there were so many henry sanders born 1883 in that area but I will narrow it down quite quickly so don't worry.its just I hadn't worked on eileens line at all.
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline AntoniaG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 19 June 17 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, just introducing myself as a fellow descendant of the Sanders/Saunders line.

Michael Dean Sanders (1800-1892) and Elizabeth Draper were my 5x great grandparents.
Michael Saunders (b.1820) and Delilah Lee (4x great grands).
Walter Saunders (1850-1920) and Sarah Lavinia Burton (3x great grands). Walter and his family settled in Hersham, Surrey, with 10 children, one of whom (Noah Alfred Saunders, b.1888) was killed in France in 1918.

I have quite a bit of information on this line, and if I can help anyone out, I'd be happy to do so. I am on Ancestry if you'd like to see more detail. I get a bit tangled up in the families they married into, but I know there are Orchard, Lee, and Stanley in abundance! If anyone has any photos of the Sanders/Saunders line, I'd love to see them. :) In the meantime, happy researching!

All the best,
Antonia

Offline Banana12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 21 September 19 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi all.
I was hoping to get a bit of help.
I’ve got a 3xggm Jane Sanders b.1818 Shebbear, Devon. Married Isaac Ayre.
Her father was John Sanders b.1791 Northam, Devon.
I’m not sure how accurate my findings are, but my mum once mentioned something about the Sanders family being gypsy. Have no idea how to verify either way so any suggestions or info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Anna
Devon:
Bond, Bennett, Hutchings, Sanders, Ayres, Moyse, Lamey, Boon

Sweden:
Fors, Svensson

Offline AntoniaG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 21 September 19 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi all.
I was hoping to get a bit of help.
I’ve got a 3xggm Jane Sanders b.1818 Shebbear, Devon. Married Isaac Ayre.
Her father was John Sanders b.1791 Northam, Devon.
I’m not sure how accurate my findings are, but my mum once mentioned something about the Sanders family being gypsy. Have no idea how to verify either way so any suggestions or info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Anna

Hi Anna,
I can't find a mention of your Sanders in amongst mine (yet!), but Sanders/Saunders was a common traveller name. A quick search for the names you mentioned brought up this page, which may give you a bit more to go on! https://www.ancestry.com/genealogy/records/jane-sanders-24-7m99x

Best wishes,
Antonia

Offline Banana12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 22 September 19 23:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I will take a look.
Devon:
Bond, Bennett, Hutchings, Sanders, Ayres, Moyse, Lamey, Boon

Sweden:
Fors, Svensson

Offline Higherctwitchen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 23:32 BST (UK) »
I live at crooked oaks on the road from stibb cross. Formally known as higher twitchen. It was bought by Henry Sanders in February 1921 from a henry moase. We know Henry sanders died in 1946. Harriet, his wife and moses his son then sold to James jeffery a locomotive driver in 1953. We have records and deeds dating back 200 years. We know the kind opposite now Jimara, and our neighbours towards thornhill head now collingsdown all had gypsy caravans on their land and all bought from moses. What we reallycl want to know is when higherctwitchen bungalow was built and if any pictures are available. We love this place dearly and would live to know more of its history. The earliest photo we have is from the 70's when it was owned by either William Henry Greek (Grace) Kelly or Daniel Davis or possibly Alan James Courtney Briggs although he bought in 1977. Yes the land from stibb cross across the moors has changed a lot but we would love to know more about its past.