Author Topic: Stuarts stonemasons Tomintoul.  (Read 15128 times)

Offline crombieburn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Stuarts stonemasons Tomintoul.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 January 10 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for solving the mystery of Altnhiillick. I would never have got there myself! The map links worked perfectly and it was particularly moving to see the ruin.
I have read about Victor Gaffney but have never seen any of his books. Have you read them? I presume that the Gordon Papers are held in the National Library, Edinburgh. Have you ever done any research in Elgin? I am keen to do that at some point.
I love the whisky story!It had occurred to me that there could be a link to THE Smith. Have you researched any other linked families in the area? As you can tell I have many questions that I would like to ask but these may be more suited to private messaging. I think that you only need to post three times to be able to do this.
Thank you again.
Tomintoul/Kirkmichael.
Steuart/Stuart/Stewart, Riach/McIntosh, Gow/ Smith, McGregor,Grant.

Offline JSmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 January 10 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Elgin:
Yes, I have been to Heritage Center in Elgin - indeed their collection of information on buildings may be relevant to your original mason question.
A version of the catalog is online - for example James - the father of John, James and Alexander is:
http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/subjects/subject_people_report_view.asp?REF_ID=NM188040
I came away with an lovely obituary of Margaret Robertson, (who was married to John Smith and was living in Altnahillick in 1841) which led me to look for the rest of her children. She had 10 children, 8 with John and 2 later, and the families of James and Alexander fell into place while trying to sort then out.

I have had my hands on a copy of "The Lordship of Strathavon". Interesting, heavy going, with the emphasis on the history before 1750., but not a light read.

Offline Spartan67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 February 18 10:48 GMT (UK) »
I realise that this thread is focused on the Stuarts and I don’t wish to distract from that focus but I’m also interested in another family of stonemasons of that time. My research is about Robert McDonald b.1839 who was also a Mason (his father Robert b.1804 was also a Mason).  In particular I’m trying to find the whereabouts of “Millburn aka Mill Burn” in the Abernethy & Kincardine area which was the family home of Robert McDonald b. 1839?  It is shown on the 1891 census records next to “Glenlochy” not far from Tomintoul which I have found on maps of that time across the River Avon from the Kirkmichael church.  I believe Millburn was a farmstead or croft in the Bridge of Brown/Tomintoul area.

Obviously to be a stonemason at thT time was a trade in demand. If it helps I can repost on a new board.

Cheers
Lee, Ross, Rose, Stuart, McDonald, Ford, Brewster, Gandy, Jackson, Tomintoul

Offline Spartan67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 February 18 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I didn’t mention that the reason I am interested in the Mcdonald stonemasons is that John McDonald b.1867 was the father of George McDonald (illeg. aka Rose/Ross) b.1890 the husband of Barbara Grace Grant Stuart b.1892 daughter of William Stuart b.1858. 

One gap I have re the Stuart’s is the surname of William's wife Isabella. It is illegible on the marriage record of Barbara & George although I can make out that it began with “Mc”.  Barbara & George had 13 children in Tomintoul (living at the house Strombos) and Barbara died in Sheffield in 1975.   Hope that paints the picture & would welcome info on “Isabella)

Cheers

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 February 18 13:32 GMT (UK) »
I wondered about Isabella's surname being McIntosh when I first looked at the image and then with a free search on SP found the only marriage in Banffshire between a William Stuart and an Isabella between 1875 and 1895 was this one.

William Stuart and Isabella McIntosh 1885 Tomintoul.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Spartan67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 February 18 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks William - much appreciated. I can now have a go at following another branch of the family.  Still no idea on where Mill Burn (Millburn) may be though. Thanks again.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 February 18 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Isabella seems to have died 1895 and William remarried by 1901 to either Eliza Jane Stuart or Elizabeth Jane Wade (new wife showing as Lizzie in 1901 age 24 b Glasgow).

Census shows Isabella as born Keith - suspect parents Charles and Ann. He was a gamekeeper and living Tomintoul 1891.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline crombieburn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 February 18 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello distant cousin! Isabella’s name was indeed McIntosh. I have some information on her, if you are interested I will dig it out.
Tomintoul/Kirkmichael.
Steuart/Stuart/Stewart, Riach/McIntosh, Gow/ Smith, McGregor,Grant.

Offline Spartan67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 February 18 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks William.  I’d got that Isabella had died & William had remarried. I’d not got to Isabella’s parents though.   Cheers