Author Topic: James Ruickbie, Hawick Poet  (Read 6502 times)

Offline LarryR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James Ruickbie, Hawick Poet
« on: Saturday 12 March 05 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

James Ruickbie (c1757-c1828) was a borders poet who, in his last years, was the Innkeeper of the Harrow Inn on High Street in Hawick. He had 3 books published in 1807, 1815, and 1826. His poems also appeared in several other multiple author compilations (one being “Hawick Sings and Song Writers” - all 3 editions) and one reprint of the 1826 - through to the late 1800’s.

It is said that he came from Innerleithen.

He (listed as James Rubie) married Margaret Gounlock May 30 1787 in Selkirk.

I have found records of one daughter- Margaret born circa 1792, she married Robert Govenlock who was the Innkeeper of the Mosspaul Inn for many years. I have never found her birth record.

Prior to coming to Hawick James served as the toll-keeper at Colterscleugh for 12 years and also at a few other toll-bars.

His writings indicate he had more than one child (possibly 3).

The writings of his many poet friends, and biographies in The Border Magazine, and in the transactions of the Hawick Archeology Society indicate he had two wives, that he died either in 1828 or 1829, and that he is buried at St.Mary’s Church in Hawick in an unmarked grave.

I strive to find more concrete information concerning James, his wives, their parents, and other children (I have traced his daughter Margaret forward).

Interesting that a man dedicated to the written word has so little written regarding his life………..

Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

LarryR

Offline jmartin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jane Ferguson Gaston
    • View Profile
Re: James Ruickbie, Hawick Poet
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Larry,
I'm fairly new to researching my Scottish Dobson-Brodie families but I read on another site that you'd like to locate Thomas Dobson's Reminiscences of Innerleithen and Traquair. I now have a copy and there are indeed a couple of references to James Ruickbie and to his son John as follows:

"An old worthy of the village, James Ruickbie, either uncle or father of the late John Ruickbie the local poet, was in the habit of going up into the Pirn plantation--then in its teens--to engage in devotional exercises. This good old man had it seems, a great gift of expression in prayer, which even in the open air, he engaged in, in loud and fervid tones. The old Laird came upon him one day while so engaged, and waiting until he had finished, he said to him, "Man, Jamie, when ye're offerin' up your prayers ye should mind that the Lord's no deef." Whether Jamie took the hint or not does not appear (31-2).

Speaking of the early tweed "the Galashiels Grey," Thomas writes: "Doubtless it was the sort good old John Ruickbie, the village poet of fity years ago, referred to in his lines:-- "Langsyne, when guid grey claith/Jappit the laird and tenant baith" (9).

"I have already mentioned John Ruickbie, the village poet. I remember him as a gentle old man walking sturdily about the village. His poems were published about half a century ago, or perhaps more, and were much read and quoted for some years. Some of them were full of pith and sly humour, and showed a wonderful knowledge of human nature on the part of one who had never been far from his native parish. In his day newspapers were scarce as well as expensive, and when reports of murders and deeds of violence, done by fellow creatures reached the village, John would stand aghast and exclaim--"An' is there really sic folk in the warld." John lived a quiet, simple life in his humble home at Hillend, and died at a good old age" (134).

I appreciate your having posted the Innerleithen Cemetery list, which names several of my ancestors.

Cheers, Jeannie

This book is full of such references to the villagers of Innerleithen and I'll be most happy to do a look-up for anyone.

Ireland--Park, Lyons, Gaston, McCartney
Scotland--Dobson, Brodie, Sanderson, Ormiston, Easton, Moffat

Offline LarryR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to post this valuable information.

I had ceased searching but this information may perhaps result in my renewed interest in this venture.

What a great early Christmas present! You've made my day!

Thanks again, Regards

LarryR
in Canada

Offline jmartin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jane Ferguson Gaston
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 December 08 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Larry,

As a newbie, I'm really glad I could be of help. Since you'd given up for awhile, you might not have seen this brief mention of Innerleithen Ruickbie online:

http://domain734644.sites.fasthosts.com/Innerleithen/literary.htm

Cheers

Offline LarryR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 December 08 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks again, but I did see that article - shortly after I wrote it........smile...

I pass along that you will find entertaining info within the writings of John A. Anderson ("The Cleikum"), and his daughter Olive M. Russell ("At the Sign of the Cleikum"). These two books contain a wealth of info on the inhabitants of Innerleithen during the 1880's through early 1900's.

Regards,

Larry

Offline jmartin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jane Ferguson Gaston
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 December 08 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Too funny!!  :) Told you I am a newbie, and should look more carefully. Thanks for the references.

Offline jmartin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jane Ferguson Gaston
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 February 10 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Larry,
I came across this name as I was browsing and wondered if it might help with your Ruckbie search.

Piece: SCT1841/762 Place: Innerleithen -Peebles-shire Enumeration District: 2
Civil Parish: Innerleithen Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 0 Page: 6
Address: -

Surname       First name(s)       Sex       Age       Occupation       Where Born       Remarks   
        BUCKBIE       John       M       59       Labour        Peebles-shire           
        BUCKBIE       Agnes       F       46               Peebles-shire           
        BUCKBIE       Elesabeth       F       16               Peebles-shire           
        BUCKBIE       Margret       F       10               Peebles-shire           
 Page: 0/7       HOPE       Susan       F       4               Peebles-shire           
        HOPE       Agnes       F       1               Peebles-shire           

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 June 10 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have only just noticed this post, but in case you didn't already find further information, IGI christenings for Innerleithen C117624 has:
James RUGEBY 5.11.1752  father Alexander

Other baptisms with father Alexander:
John RUGBY 15.12 1731
Gilbert RUGBY 3.4.1743
Isoable RUGBY 11.3.1744
William RUGEBY 15.8.1746
Margrat RUGBY 17.9.1749

IGI for Hawick has the baptism of Alexander RUICBIE 23.7.1812, father James RUICBIE, mother Jean WILSON

According to Douglas Scott's excellent online 'A Hawick Word Book' James Ruickbie was a member of the Burgher church, and established a Sunday school at New Mill, which may explain why other baptisms for his family are absent from the records of the established church. Also according to Scott, a portrait of him exists, and Hawick museum has one of his manuscripts.

regards,

Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram