Author Topic: Cown Edge and the Higginbottoms  (Read 2012 times)

Offline GB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cown Edge and the Higginbottoms
« on: Tuesday 08 December 09 21:34 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to gather information on Cown Edge farm (Rowarth) and a family called the Higginbottoms who appear to have worked the farm and possibly others in the area during the 19th Century. My Gt grandmother Maria was recorded in the 1841 census as living there aged 5 months and the family appear to have been associated with the farm and/or the immediate area for much of the remainder of the century.  However  it appears to be a complicated family structure and any information on the history/ownership of the farm and the history/ relationships of the family would be appreciated. In particular there appears to be a link with another family name (the Bennetts) which I have not been able to unravel. Maria eventually married my Gt Grandfather Samuel Pearson a blacksmith of New Mills. If anyone can throw further light on these matters I would be very grateful.
JGB

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cown Edge and the Higginbottoms
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 09:08 GMT (UK) »
JGB,,

There is a link here, though the farm has another name:

The Derby Mercury Wednesday, May 6, 1846

At Eaton Chapel, near Stockport, Mr. Robert Higginbottom, farmer and cattle dealer, of Lane Side, Rowarth, to Rachel Bennett, of Hayfield. After a long and unwearied courtship of forty-four years, the parties came to the conclusion of being joined together in the holy bands of matrimony. Their united ages number upwards of 124 years.

Tom

Offline GB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Tom,
Thanks for that it is another clue to follow. I have been trying to sort this side of the family out for many years and only making slow progress. The problem is that  my gt grandmother Maria was illegitimate and I have not been able to track down a birth certificate for her. her mother, an Ann Higginbottom, recorded in 41 census at Cown Edge, possibly married a man named Bennett some time before 1851 and disappeared from the scene only to reappear at the time of her death as  Ann Bennett of Cown Edge. The waters are further muddied by the fact that there are at least 3 other recorded illegitimate births for children of Ann Higginbottom of Cown Edge after she is alleged to have married Bennett.
Again many thanks I will see where it takes me.
JGB
PS I am not sure whether Cown Edge was one single farm house or a group of houses.

Offline Theahansonorr

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 September 18 14:16 BST (UK) »
I realise this is quite an old thread that I've just come across, but I live at Cown edge if I can help?