Author Topic: Enfield Churchyard & area - PATRICK  (Read 8460 times)

Offline delphi8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Enfield Churchyard & area - PATRICK
« on: Wednesday 09 December 09 21:39 GMT (UK) »
I'm posting this in response to Hollylianne's kind offer on the lookup board.

I would be very interested to know of any headstones for the surname of PATRICK at St Andrew's in Enfield. I already have the burial entries from the parish records.

In particular Aaron Patrick buried 1823 aged 81, his first wife Hannah, and their son Nathaniel Taylor Patrick buried 1828, but any other Patrick's are also of interest.

Related names are John & Mary Ravenhill age 79 & 77, husband and wife both buried 6th January 1837, and Ann Swain buried 1833 aged 67 wife of William buried 1850, also Aaron Patrick's natural son Thomas Moses Edwards buried 1856 aged 73.

Aaron Patrick was a victualler at the King's Arms at Enfield Highway, would anyone know any details for this inn such as location, if it still exists etc ?

Aaron's Will mentioned eleven cottages he owned called Patrick's Row at Enfield Highway - I can't locate Patrick's Row on a modern map so does anyone know where it was ?

Many thanks for any help.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Enfield Churchyard & area - PATRICK
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 22:00 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at oldmaps.co.uk but there are maps on top of eachother and I can't make head nor tail of the site at the moment.

However I think you might find that Patrick's Row, was just a row or terrace of houses which fronted Enfield Highway rather than a street in it's own right. I imagine it would be either renamed, refronted or long gone by now.

The only way that you might be able to narrow down the location is to check the 1841 census in case the houses are still known by that name. Then you can check around the neighbourhood following the enumerator's route to see if there are any landmarks, perhaps grand buildings or street intersections, which still exist today. This way you may get an indication of where Patrick's Row used to be.

Good luck.

Offline delphi8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for checking Ruskie, that's a good idea about checking the 1841 census, I'll have a look to see if I can find any clues  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 22:29 GMT (UK) »
To start you off I've found Patrick'S Row in the 1861: (some place names hard to read)

Green st
Durants
Gate House at ?
High Road (K...gs St?)
Durants Lodge
High Road
Durants Farm 9 M.. St House
basket shop
high road (4 residences)
Patricks Row (11 residences)
Walnut Tree Lodge
Highway N (District Elwich? St James)
Paradise Cottage
Brick Lane
Br...e Hall

Some of the street names may have changed too. Got to dash out now. Hope you make some progress. You will need to try to find an old map and compare with a map of today. Good fun!  ;)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 December 09 05:32 GMT (UK) »
I just had a little look around ....
have a look at a modern map - there is a Durants Road at Enfield. I have been unable to locate any of the other places from the 1861 census but there was a Durant's farm ...

Also, if you go to oldmaps.co.uk and enter "enfield highway" you will see a "Green Street" which doesn't appear to be a street but a place  :-\. Also a Brick Lane and near the intersection there is a "Kings Arms" - I wonder if this is the pub you are looking for.

The area is virtually unrecognizable today (pity) so doubtful if you will have any way to locate the exact whereabouts of Patrick's Row.

Offline delphi8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 December 09 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again. From looking at those maps it seems that the Kings Arms pub was still called that until the 1920's at least and on Google street view there is a pub in the same location today called The Sporting Green so possibly it's the same pub just renamed.

Offline Ironlay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 February 12 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Having recently discovered that my direct line leads back to Aaron Patrick, I would like to correspond with you.
My name is James Sanderson and my personal email is:-  (*)
Thanks

(*) Moderator comment
Email address removed in accordance with Rootschat policies to prevent spam and other internet abuses. Please use the Rootschat personal messaging system

Offline Wohlert Wohlers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 July 15 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi James, a quick reply after three years. Hope you stilI use roomchat. I looked recently into my wife's ancestry and found that Aaron Patrick's eldest daughter Mary is her great great great grandmother. I tried to list all her close relatives and could send it to you as a PDF. Wohlert Wohlers

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 July 15 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi all, just spotted this thread after all this time, The Kings Arms mentioned on this thread is still and always has been at the top of Green Street, Enfield Highway, always known in my time as the " Top House " now the Sporting Green
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk