Author Topic: Llanaber/Barmouth  (Read 21078 times)

Offline PatrickJones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Llanaber/Barmouth
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 23:57 BST (UK) »
Ceri:

We may be related!   :o  Distantly, of course, but more on that later!

The only evidence I've been able to find so far that Elizabeth Owen is related to Dorothy and Margaret Grey is that the Grey girls are both listed as her nieces in the 1871 census, and Margaret Griffith Grey is listed as Elizabeth's niece again in the 1881 census. Beyond this, I haven't been able to prove any connection between Elizabeth Owen and the Griffiths family; if you have any further information, would you be willing to share it?

Since Elizabeth Owen was born around 1802/1803, and the Mary Griffiths who married Hugh Grey was born in 1832, that makes Elizabeth Owen the great-aunt of Margaret Grey Evans.  I don't know if the actual relationship is significant, but it does make it harder to find records by going back an additional generation.

As to our possible familial connection:

You mention an Elizabeth Griffiths, born circa 1833, who was a witness to Mary Griffiths wedding (I've highlighted the text in red in the quote below.)

I've been able to trace my family tree back to an Elizabeth (Eliza) Griffiths, born 27 Dec 1838 in the Anchor Inn in Barmouth.  She was christened 6 months later, on 20 June 1839, and is the youngest and last child (that I'm aware of) of Griffth Griffiths and Margaret Williams. 

This Elizabeth is my great-great-grandmother, and one of her older sisters was none other than Mary Griffiths who married Hugh Grey.  (Assuming I have my facts correct!)  Although my research has Elizabeth born a few years later than you mention, she did marry a Welsh carpenter, David Jones, in London in 1863.

I'd be delighted to compare notes, if you'd care to reply!

cheers!

Patrick Jones

<snip>
Elizabeth was the aunt of Margaret Gray Evans (through their mother's side). Her parents died quite young (in their 30s of illness) and she was bought up with her sister Dorothy at the Anchor Inn in Llanaber.

<snip>

Relative 5B
Mary Griffiths (B. approx, M. D.)

Mary Griffiths was born in 1832 and baptized on 30th August 1832. Entry states: Mary, daughter of Griffiths Griffiths and Margaret. Abode: Barmouth. Fathers occupation is listed as Blacksmith. Abode is Barmouth.

Mary married Hugh on March 31st 1854. She is described as being a 21 year old spinster (so born approximately 1833) .Her father is Griffith Griffiths (Blacksmith). The wedding was witnessed by Richard Grey (Hugh’s father) and Elizabeth Griffiths (who was ). She is listed on the 1861 census as being a 28 year old carpenters wife. Her place of birth is Llanaber. Also listed are Dorothy Grey (daughter) aged 5 years born in Llanaber and Margaret Griffiths Grey (aged 8 months). There is also a 17 year old servant called Margaret Pugh.

She died on 20th March 1866 aged 33 years. She is buried with Hugh in Llanaber graveyard (picture obtained).

Possible death reference: Dolgelly aged 34, March 1866. Vol 11B, P.334.
JONES, GRIFFITHS, LLOYD, DAVIES

Offline LarsA

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Llanaber/Barmouth
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 22:48 BST (UK) »
I have found a record in Australian records for William Gray Evans, with details matching one of the above born in Dolgellau. Australian Army in WWI, not sure what became of him after the war. An uncle of Gwilym?

Kind regards,

Lars