Author Topic: Holmes family from Cork  (Read 4114 times)

Offline godolphin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Holmes family from Cork
« on: Saturday 12 December 09 01:36 GMT (UK) »
My great great grandfather was Peter Holmes. His wife was Margaret. I do not know her maiden name. The had a daughter Mary. They immigrated to Australia in the nineteenth century. They were in the Bourke area in early the 1870's. Peter was working on a large sheep station (farm) on the Darling River approx 50km south of Bourke in 1872. Bourke is an outback town in the north west of New South Wales.
The Holmes family meet Francis Henry Burslem (English)who was also working at the same sheep station as Peter.
The Holmes and Francis Burslem moved to Dubbo which is in the central west of New South Wales. Dubbo had only been settled in the 1860's.
Francis Burslem married Mary Holmes in Dubbo in 1877(my great grand parents).
Francis ran an inn /coach changing station and post office half way  between Dubbo and Gilgrandra . Gilgrandra is 30km north of Dubbo.
Francis also had a jet and copper mine in the Wellington area. Wellington between Dubbo and Gilgrandra.
Both Peter and Francis died in Dubbo around the turn of the 20th century.
If you know anything about this it would be great!!
One hint the Holmes were living at one time on the South Coast of New South Wales. Many Irish free settlers were assisted with the cost ot the passage to Australia. Many assisted immigrants were "Bounty Emigrates " had free passage or were assisted with the cost of migrating to Australia. Many went to an agent and were contracted to an employer in Australia depending on their skills or trade.
Many with farming experience went to the New South Wales South Coast.
The luck ones were given a job for a set period of time eg a year also  sometimes they were given a wage and rations.
One story about the Holmes was that their home on the South Coast of New South Wales was burnt in a bush fire. They were only able to save one balloon backed chair. It was part of a set of 6 chairs.
If any one has any information it would help?
Thank you for reading this.
Jennifer

Offline Kalishoek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Nec scire fas est omnia
    • View Profile
Re: Holmes family from Cork
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi are you sure they came from Cork ? Checked the Griffiths valuation records and there is no Peter Holmes mentioned
Researching the names, Healy, Breen, Dingley, Daly, O'Connell
Places : Mallow , county Cork, Dublin, New York and other US states
For the Netherlands, Kalishoek,Mulder,van der Vos, De Koning and more

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 13:46 GMT (UK) »
not everyone is included on Griffiths ... e.g. people living an a family farm where a parent or relative is the lease-holder/owner,  staff working & living on an estate, state employees etc

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline jimbu

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 August 10 15:46 BST (UK) »
I have just stumbled across your posting about Francis Henry Burslem on Rootsweb and was delighted to find a few more nuggets of information about him. I have been tracking the family tree and more importantly gathering as much information about family members over the last ten years or more and have a quite a large file on FHB Jr, his father FHB Sr and his grandfather, in fact all ancestors back to the late 1400s. I would be delighted to share this information with you. Jim Burslem

Offline godolphin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 04:26 BST (UK) »
Dear Jim Burslem,
 It is great to hear from you. I can trace the Burslems back to Thomas de Burslem in the 1400s. I read somewhere that the Burslems took part in the Crusades. The coat of arms of scollop shells is said to be a reward for winning a naval battle with the Arabs.
My late father's full name was Frank Charles Godolphin Burslem.  I will look up the christen name of Francis's wife .  Elizabeth Godolphin  who was born in Heston and taken to London to be christened. She grew up on the Dixie's estate and married John Burslem.

Their son Francis was the captain of the Frigate " Conventry" which captured a French naval vessel of the coast of France durning the wars between France and England in the late 1760's.
His son James Godolphin Burslem fought in the Battle of Egypt in 1801. he was finally awarded with a medal in 1847. He was a colonel.
His son Francis Henry Burslem was the first of 3 Francis Henry Burslems.
he was born in Portsmouth in 1807 and died in Sydney in 1888. I am trying to find his grave. He attended Woolwich Military Academy and graduated in 1824. he was assigned to the Stockport Barracks were he meet the daughter of a confectioner Sarah Richardson. Francis spent a short time in Tasmania on military duty before returning to England to marry Sarah. Her family were detailed for her to marry Francis in 1828 whereas Francis was disowned by both his military peers and his family.
Francis Henry (number two) was born in 1830 in Stockport. Francis retired from the military to live as a gentleman until the money ran out. they moved to Liverpool to start a confectionary business which failed so did the marriage. Sarah returned to her father's house in Lower Hillgate street in Stockport and sold pieces of cloth for a living before she died. She must have died no later than 1834 as Francis remarried in 1834 tp Bridget Boddle. I am trying to find out were in Stockport Sarah is buried.
With Francis father's help Francis got a job a a surveyor in the first non convict settlement of Australia,South Australia. Francis and Bridget had a son James Godolphin Burslem. FHB and family can to Adelaide in 1838. According to records Bridget died in 1839. However there are Boddle Burslems living in Tasmania. Their son James died in 1842 and is bured in Adelaide.
Francis Henry Jnr was given away to a family to look after.  
Francis Henry snr worked in South Australia as a surveyor in Adelaide (surrounding area)and the Burra Copper Mines until the early 1850s.
He was an owner and manager of a hotel (now Kingston House) in Kingston. SA.
Both Burslem Hill and Burslem Creek is named after him.
 Went to live in Cgynet in Tasmania and married Susan Fynes in 1852. he was a farmer and member and suveyor of the Cygnet Roads Trust . Susan died in 1862. He married Ann Elizabeth Anderson.
They had a daughter Elizabeth Ida Born in Hobart in 1864.
FHB went to Auckland in NZ . He stayed until 1883. He suveyored lands taken from the Maori people in the Maori Wars,surveyed the goldfields in Grahamstown, worked for the government. He was considered at noted surveyor. He was a founding member of the ISNZ Institute of Suveyors of New Zealand. He returned to Australi in 1883. He lived in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney, Died 1888. His widow died in 1898 and the Coast Hospital, Little Bay (infectious disease hospital). I do not know wear she is buried.

Elizabeth Ida married  Goodwin Packer. They had a daughter Pansie before they divorced. Elizabeth Ida or just Ida had a daughter to John Nicholson (Mabel Elizabeth Ann Nicholson. I know nothing about Ida and John. Ida later married a John Porthouse. Mabel was disowned by the family. (This made me upset as Mabel was my grand mother and she was a lovely lady.)
John Porthouse died in 1936 Ida Porthouse died in 1945.
Mabel married Francis Henry Burslem number three in Balmain in the 1920's dad was born in 1929.

Now back to Francis Henry number two. He inherited 200 pounds from John Richardson, Sarah's father. FHB was the licence holder of the Emu Hotel in Bourke from 1866 to 1871. After that he was a overseer at a sheep station near Bourke. that is how he meet the Holmes family  my great great grandfather Peter Holmes was working there as well.
He was also a station manager at another station.
Around 1877 he bought and operated the Midway Hotel which was haif way between Gilgandra and Duddo.
It was operating until the 1920s when the railway came through. FHB not only operated this  hotel but tried to mine and sell coal to the railways unfortunately the scheme did not go ahead.
Their two sons the eldest Charles Goring won a Military Medal in WW1 and worked in Duddo's land office,
Francis a carpenter came to Sydney in  the 1920's, worked on  a sheep station near Mendooran in the 1930's. Moved to Mt Pritchard near Liverpool in the 1940's and died and in 1963.
There is a portrait painted of Francis Henry Burslem and Sarah Burslem whle they lived in Stockport . Francis Henry jnr tried to get them.
Holmes and FHB jnr buried in Dubbo.
Mary Holmes married Francis in Dubbo 1877. She died in Marrickville in 1934 at one of her daughter's houses. Is buried at the cemertry near Sutherland Railway Statation, Sydney. Mabel and FHB no3 are buried with my father at Cof E section Rockwood Cemetery, Sydney.

Offline Bev Broadley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 November 15 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my great grandmother was Margaret Foran who married Peter Holmes in Adelaide SA.   I have a great deal of information on them in Australia, but have noted some of the information you have lodged regarding Australia but it  does not correspond with my knowledge. They had 4 daughters and two sons.   Mary Ann who married Francis Burslem, Catherine, Margaret born Deniliquin NSW, Emily (the first white child born in Bourke) and the two boys born in Dubbo.   Would love to hear from you as we have been chasing Peter Holmes Snr for years
Bev

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Try carreg fergus northern ireland for holmes family