Author Topic: August Schulz - German Locksmith  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Cranburygal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
August Schulz - German Locksmith
« on: Saturday 12 December 09 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find where in Germany the August Schulz family was from.   August Schulz was born circa 1833 to parents Karl & Susanna.  He married Katharina (born circa 1840) daughter of Peter Weber.  Children born in Germany John (1866) and Lizzie.    August Schulz was a locksmith and his son John was a tinsmith.   All came to the USA circa 1883.  Any information would be most appreciated.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: August Schulz - German Locksmith
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 December 09 11:43 GMT (UK) »
How much information do you have on the family once they're in the US?  Sometimes obituaries might mention a location where the family came from. Depending on where they ended up living in the US, there may be local history books.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cranburygal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: August Schulz - German Locksmith
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 01:02 GMT (UK) »
I do have information on the Schulz family while they were living in the US most of the time in Brooklyn, New York:
1892 NY State Census - August, Kate, John & Lizzie.  August & John were listed as Citizens.  Kate & Lizzie were Aliens.  I don't have their naturalizations.
On the 1900 New York census Kate said she had 5 children, 4 living.  I have accounted for 2 both born in Germany.
August Schulz died 29 Oct 1901
Katharina Schulz was 91 at time of her death 29 Nov 1930
Both are buried in the Lutheran Cemetery, Queens, NY
I don't have either obituaries.