Author Topic: ***UPDATED*** Bad news. Brighton History Centre to close!  (Read 7590 times)

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
***UPDATED*** Bad news. Brighton History Centre to close!
« on: Saturday 12 December 09 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello all researchers in and of Brighton

I was in the History Centre today, just catching up with a record or two and grabbing a few minutes respite from the seasonal madness, and was shocked to hear from one of the staff that due to council cut-backs it is proposed to shut the History Centre.

With the current uncertainty of The Keep project in Falmer which now looks to be a good 3 or 4 years away at the very least, what will we locals do to find out about our past?

If anyone knows anyone with influence in the shambles that is known as Brighton City Council, please get them to stop this happening!!

It's only a proposal as yet but with the suggestion today of a congestion charge to be levied in Brighton it looks like they are worse money-grabbers than the previous lot, so the chance to save some money would probably be passed without a second thought.

A very disappointed Glen

***LATEST NEWS. HOT OFF THE PRESS***

At a Council meeting today the decision to close the History Centre has been reversed. Over 1200 people signed a petition, and e-mails and press coverage showed the Council how much the Centre is valued.

Good news to start the year!

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bad news. Brighton History Centre to close!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 December 09 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Sad news indeed Glen when any history centre becomes a victim of cut backs.

One reason why we should keep using those libraries and history centres that still exist.  Its all to easy to do family history from home on the computer all the time but look what we risk by not using those local resources still open to us.

What is the latest on the Keep?  I heard it was a no go.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 December 09 17:15 GMT (UK) »
It was recently announced that plans are for building works to begin in 2011 at Woolards Field in Falmer, so hopefully at some point, if it doesn't all fall through again, the place may open.

It needs to pass planning permission when its submitted next year, but fingers crossed it'll go through.

Hope it isn't a modernist eyesore. It would be nice to have a decent building to research in.

Glen

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 December 09 18:33 GMT (UK) »
This I fear will be one of many to close. Even authorities with a good track record in heritage are through no fault of their own subject to cutbacks, and all because a bunch of overpaid overfed overbearing bankers got too greedy. On a slightly different tack I shall believe the crisis is real when these over fed spokesmen from the CBI etc. who tell us to pull our belts in appear on television looking like escapees from Belsen!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 December 09 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Being an employee of the local authority, I know all about facing job cuts, I could well be one of them in the next couple of years.  unfortunately the Environment is not top of Mr Brown's agenda like Health.  But that's another story.

I too look forward to The Keep and hope it fulfills all the dreams of researchers in Sussex! I'll cross my fingers that it will get planning permission.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 December 09 08:22 GMT (UK) »
What on earth are they thinking about?   It can't be because it doesn't pay, the entire building coupled with the museum doesn't pay, for they were gifts to the local community and as such, are not meant to. 

The Brighton History Centre is like the Public library, it is one of the few remaining  services that tax and ratepayers are still fully entitled to.  And what happens to all the reference books and public records, do they get burried in the cellars to never see the light of day again?  I recall the same thing happening to the Lewes Cohen Urban Studies Centre over a decade ago and although I presume the resources still exist, ordinary members of the public no longer have access.

Whilst I can understand that a more modern building in a less central location might be more suitable and economic (although I think Stanmer House was once a contender) closing the existing service before planning permission and the design for a purpose built study area has been approved would be insane.  Even allowing the resources to be crated up rather than being relocated, would be playing into the hands of who ever dreamed up the idea in the first place. 

Is this going to be another example of the local administrators moving the goal posts once we are no longer in a position to do anything about it?  Remember the Marina development and their promise that the Black Rock Swimming Baths were just subject to a temporary closure!  Would any of you in your right mind move out of your present home until you had all the documentation in hand giving you somewhere definite to go?
Roy G

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 December 09 16:46 GMT (UK) »
It is of course about saving staff costs, or rather transferring the cost from one part of the public purse (Brighton taxpayers) to another (unemployment benefit).The whole thing about cuts is quite ludicrous and uneccessary, why not charge the costs to the bankers who started the whole thing and wrecked our part of the world economy, or if you feel radical, why not just either renege on the debt (Argentina did a few years back), or cancel it out through hyperinflation, and repay it in the future when a loaf of bread costs £178 billion?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 19:24 GMT (UK) »
I sent a letter to the Argus, as did others, and the story has made it onto their news website and is being commented on (not necessarily a good idea, but anyway!) by several people as a bad move, so hopefully something can come of it.

Hopefully...

Glen

Offline Jill on the A272

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 07:17 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if there are any petitions on the go?