Author Topic: Donald Mackay/ Anne Mattheson  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Roseamry

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald Mackay/ Anne Mattheson
« on: Sunday 13 December 09 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am new to this site and would appreciated some help in gathering information on my gg grandparents and grandparents.
What I have comes directly from the marriage certificate of their daughter Williamina.
On March 22nd 1871 Williamina ( spinster aged 30 ) married William Coghill ( batchelor aged 40 ) at McCallums Creek Victoria Australia.
Williamina's birthplace was Armadale Sutherland, Scotland - daughter of Donald McKay and Anne nee Mattheson.
William's birthplace was Dunnet, Caithness, Scotland - son of William Coghill and Jane  nee Manson.
Other info - I have a tentative date for when William came to Australia perhaps 1852, but cannot find any information about other Mackay children or a date of immigration - or even if they all immgrated.
Thanks in advance
Ro

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Mackay/ Anne Mattheson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 December 09 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ro

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Possible 1841 census entry for Williamina:

Donald McKay 35
Jean McKay 75
Anny McKay 30
Cirsty McKay 10
Hugh McKay 8
Samuel McKay 6
Jean McKay 4
Willina McKay 2
Mary McKay 1

Address: Armadale, Farr, Sutherland

Ages for the 1841 census were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 yrs for everyone over 15 yrs old. Also, no relationships within the household were included (it is the most limited in terms of census years for info).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roseamry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 December 09 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou so much for the reply Monica, and thanks for the welcome.
 I'd say this is my family !!!
 Willina would be my great grandmother - Williamina -  as the age timeline fits.
 The older Jean must be Donald's mother - !!!!
Cheers
Ro

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 December 09 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Ro, do you have access to Ancestry? There are a number of member submitted trees for William Coghill's family. Nothing on what happened with your William (which is not surprising if he left the country) but in the main, the rest of his siblings seem to have married and remained in Scotland or England from the details showing on the various trees.

Have you used IGI at www.familysearch.org before?. If you click on the IGI (International Genealogical Index) screen on the l/h side, it will take you through to the IGI search screen.

You can do what is called a 'parent search' to see what children show for any couple. Simply put in father's full name (William Coghill) and mother's (Jane Manson) and at the bottom, click for British Isles and then Scotland.

You will see a number of entries for your William's siblings, some actual extract from the Old Parish Registers and some submitted entries by members of the LDS. William looks to have shaved off a good 7 years off his age at the time of his marriage to Williamina  ;)

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 December 09 22:33 GMT (UK) »
There is also this link with family info on the Coghills, very much what is on the member trees on Ancestry http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=scotstar&id=I13175

Offline Roseamry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 December 09 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Monica - WOW !!!!!

I now have the whole family thanks to you.
I now remember my granny's brothers Donald & William from childhood !!!!

I used to go to the Family Search Library in  Melbourne, but now that I am in Brisbane the facilities are not so good and it's hard to get a booking as there is only one place close enough to me - and that's in the city.

One has to have a cut off point, so I am only writing about the eight family lines that came to Australia.
 I needed background on a couple of generations prior to that,  so I now have enough ammunition to find out how they got here, thanks to you.
I have profiled all the Australian ones & when I get the shipping information on a couple of them I can start assembling it all.

Thankyou so much for your kindness.
Cheers Ro