Author Topic: 1861 Disappearing Act!! Workhouse maybe?  (Read 2556 times)

Offline alyson123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1861 Disappearing Act!! Workhouse maybe?
« on: Monday 14 December 09 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me which registration district the workhouse came under for Dawley Shrops?
I have been trying to find Fanny Corbett b.1817 Much Wenlock on the 1861 census and she is nowhere to be
found. She is a widow and possibly with her children Jane, John, Richard, Edward and Anne. All were present in 1851census in Dawley Green dist. Gt Dawley, and then reappeared in 1871 Malinslee Dawley dist of Madeley. with son Richard and Edward.
She is often described as charwoman or pauper so wondered if she was in the workhouse in 1861.
Cannot fiind her by conventional searches on ancestry despite soundex with surname of Corbett.
Any inspirational ideas most welcome.........cannot believe they can all dissappear!!
Kind regards
Alyson
Lea/Lee ........Gnosall, Armitage Hednesford Kings Bromley,  Hednesford, Staffordshire.
Richardson..... Hanbury, Hednesford, Checkley Marchington .....Staffordshire
Corbett ....... Dawley, Wellington, Madeley......Shropshire, Willenhall & Hednesford,Staffs
Pyle/Pile ........Hensingham, Workington, Whitehaven, Cumberland
Pyle/Pile....... Newcastlle on Tyne, County Durham & Northumberland
Doran ...... Whitehaven, Cumberland and Ireland
Savage ........ County Down, Killough and Belfast, Irela

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Disappearing Act!! Workhouse maybe?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 December 09 04:37 GMT (UK) »
Dear Alyson,

Have you looked at the original 1861 census for Shropshire > Great Dawley > District 6 >

It is very damaged and there are only 2 pages. You might not be able to find the family because I think this census is incomplete. It could have been distroyed at some stage.

The discription for the census is for a much larger area.

Cheers, Ted
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk