Author Topic: Ball family (a branch married into Penfolds) SHOWMEN  (Read 17031 times)

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Ball family (a branch married into Penfolds) SHOWMEN
« on: Monday 14 December 09 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Merry Christmas all.  Im wondering if any photos exist of the Ball family who were showpeople?  Im hoping that some pics of their fairs were taken?  Thomas and Elizabeth Ball from Leicester area born c1821 had the following children: Thomas, James, Susannah, Elizabeth, Joseph and William. Each child stayed with the fairground trade as far as I know. Thomas married Susannah, their youngest girls were Lydia and Ianthe and they travelled extensively throughout Britain with particular links to Lincolnshire. James married Elizabeth, Joseph married Elizabeth Penfold and had 10 children, and William married Ruth Beeney (my connection, she was the daughter of Absalom and Priscilla). William & Ruth were last known on the Isle of Wight. I'd love to hear from anyone connected.  ;)
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
Re: Ball family (a branch married into Penfolds) SHOWMEN
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rebekha,
Merry Christmas to you.

i have a connection to these through Joseph O Briens marriage to Naiomi Penfold in Elham,Kent in 1903.
Naomis parents were John Penfold and Naiomi Ripley,they married 1878 Malling near Maidstone,Kent.
Johns sister Elizabeth married Joseph Ball in Malling 1877,he was from Leicester,i have 9 children for them.
Other siblings for John and Elizabeth i have are Thomas born 1855 Maidstone married Phoebe Simpson 1877 Greenwich.
Joseph born 1864 Peckham married Lydia Simpson 1888 Ashford,Kent.
James born 1870 Northfleet married Ada Knott.
Patience born 1870 Sundridge,Kent married Henry Gess 1888 Wandsworth.
Edward born 1873 Kent married Sarah Jones 1893 Battle,Sussex.

Naiomi Ripleys brother Henry married Priscilla Beaney,daughter of William Beaney and Maria Ripley.

I have a lot of info on my tree on Penfolds/Ripleys/Beaneys etc but very little on Balls,id be very grateful for any help with those,your very welcome to any info i have,
all the best,
Nel.

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi, do you have full access to Genes Reunited?  If not I can send a link to my tree on Tribal Pages with a password.  There are so many Beeneys/Ripleys etc married into each other.  My direct ancestors are the Roberts, who married into both families. My gt gt grandad Samson Roberts born 1864 married Priscilla Ripley, whose 1st husband was Absalom Beeney.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Rebekah,

i am a full member on GU and would be very intrested to view your tree.If you let me know what name you use ill put out a request.
All of my connections so far are mariages scattered about one part of my tree,but when i find one i tend to extend it as far as i can,both for my own intrest and to hopefully assist other researchers.
Your welcome to use anything i have.
Look forward to hearing from you,
Nel.

Offline achooo

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 11:27 GMT (UK) »
hi im new to this .my husband is  relationed to this ball family.his grandfather was fred ball b 1910 the son of joseph and elizabeth  nee penfold.joseph was the son of  thomas ball.

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 12:20 BST (UK) »
sorry I never saw your reply, have just come back to this family in my research. I have your husbands family in my tree. I cant find them on the 1911 census though. If theres anything I can help you with please let me know. I find it fascinating they were showpeople. Have the families all settled down now or are they still in trailers?

Offline SMC62

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Rebeka,

I just sent a personal message regarding the above then discovered it wasn't sent as I need to make 3 posts before I can...aaargh. I stumbled across your post about the ball family and their connection to the fairground and IOW. My wife's family are from the IOW and her mother's maternal grandparents were Samuel Ball b.c1883-d.c.1921 Ryde, IOW. He married Lily Unwin b.c.1887 IOW d.13/3/1952 IOW, in 1906 at St.John, Oakfield. Samuel owned a fairground, or at least a roundabout, which was at Harding Road, Oakfield, Ryde. I have a photo of it probably taken in the Edwardian period judging by the wide brimmed hats. There are 10 people in the photo but unfortunately I don't know who any of them are! Samuel Ball was killed by a pylon collapsing or fallen on him at Ryde Pier. I'm told the Ball brothers founded the IOW company Westridge. I can send you a copy of the photo. I will also be seeing my mother-in-law (whose now 82) at the weekend so I could see if I can find out anything else.

Offline achooo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 08:50 BST (UK) »
hi can any one help me  on ball family I haven't got ancestry but would love to see  1861 census at spalding with Thomas ball  b 1821 Leicestershire and his siblings

Offline achooo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 August 16 09:03 BST (UK) »
got this now thankyou