Author Topic: Ball family (a branch married into Penfolds) SHOWMEN  (Read 17018 times)

Offline Teresak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ball family (a branch married into Penfolds) SHOWMEN
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for replying, my line runs back to William Ball, do you by any chance have any details on Joseph's siblings, parents etc that I might be able to add to my family tree?  I am also looking for a photograph of the funfair, rides, etc. that they might have had.

Thank you
Teresa

Offline achooo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 March 18 11:05 GMT (UK) »
I know William ball m ruth beaney, james b 1844 m Elizabeth ? spent time 1881 Wrotham kent can any one help me please

Offline Teresak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 March 18 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have been working backwards a bit and have found William b 1801 married Sara Anstey b 1800, father of Thomas, b 1821.  I am slowly working through it and coming up to the present day.  William and Sara married in 1817, very young, and in Hampshire, St. Marys, Portsea which would fit with the travelling lifestyle.  Sara was born in East Barnet, Herts.  I believer there were at least three more children, I have yet to confirm these.  William died 1847, Sara died 1838

Thomas married Elizabeth Hudson Smith 1848 in Cambridgeshire.  Thomas born Claton, Spalding.  Elizabeth born Tasset, Huntingdonshire.  I think Thomas had more siblings, yet to trace them, but will be working down when I get a chance and I will let you know what I find.

If you are  not going backwards in your tree, let me know and I will not send anymore information until I get to the children.

Also, if you have any information on William and Sara, I would love to hear from you.  I am also trying to track down an existing tree within the family, but it seems they have moved house and I am not sure where to.  Also, I am not on the Isle of Wight these days, so that tends to complicate it further.

Thanks,
Teresa

Offline stuart04

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
james family
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 13:38 GMT (UK) »
hi again stuart james here my father was thomas james born 1914 died 1991 my grandad mark james lived not far from mildenhall at a place called sound bottom his brother samson lived in titchfield hampshire noah james lived in borough bridge on the somerset levels he was married to a loveridge years ago we used to visit a few of my grandads brothers

Offline shaun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have connections to the Beeney family. My great grandma Ada Jones married John Beeney in 1916.
On my tree I have John Beeney as having siblings named Priscilla and Asblom. I know they had connections with the Ripleys too, because John Beeneys son (also John Beeney b. 1921) owned a scrap metal business with a Ripley. A Samuel Ripley was also a witness at the marriage of John and Ada.

My knowledge of the Beeney's that far back is not very good, so any help from someone who has any information about them would be great.

I have a tree currently on Ancestry.

thanks

Shaun

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 05 April 18 21:19 BST (UK) »
 Hi shaun

i have lots of information on the Beenyes, you can spell the name several ways to, they are in the records way back, and in the records with names like Ripley cooper Lee Brazil and more, i will write a few records up for you, there is so much information, then if you would like a few more that may help you i will write a few more, no trouble at all.

michael

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 06 April 18 19:23 BST (UK) »
 Hi shaun

I found this record from 1868 i think it is one of great historical interest, of coarse there are place names and dates that you can use along with peoples names to widen any search in the future that yourself or others may set out to do, yet the the truth that lays within this record makes me say, yes, i know i was right, Census records are used by many and often you will hear people rightly say follow the records, follow the trail, but the problem is i was from the time i was born surrounded by the past, people around went on the same way as the talk of goings on from times before, when i started talking to people on the internet through different web sites often they would talk to me and it sounded like they was going on about different people, then i learned all about scholars and writers and mostly they to was talking their way of thinking talk, luckily for me there was a few who new what i was trying to say, that gave me strength evan tho i dont need nothing, anyway look below how that Superintendent and Browell the Esq., are going on about the License, i think Gipsy People from the time of the beginning switched many types of records not just names as in saying this is my name, i think there are great untruths in peoples Census records, for several reasons to, but below is the truth of one of thoes truths, i am glad i met you, i new i was right, i will put more records on soon, Shaun there are many records like this with good information for you to learn from, its just that this one record below will go down in history, the Gipsy People were never the simple fools, why people thought they could work the gipsy out by using there way of recording and researching is a thing for researchers of today to ponder on, the Oldest Family's the Youngest Family's, they was all wise, wise to the game. 

Monday  20 January 1868 Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser

PENBURY

Hawking without a Liecense._ At the Police Courts on Friday, before W.F Browell, Esq., Absalom Beeney was charged with hawking brushes and other things without a License, Penbury, on the 16th INST. The prisoner pleaded guilty to not having the License in his possession at the time he was asked to produce it. Police_Constable Waghorn stated that when he asked prisoner for his License he said it was with his van in Gas_Lane, Tunbridge Wells. He ( the police man) went to Gas_Lane, but could find no van there.
The License being produced, Mr. Browell asked the prisoner if he was quite sure his name was Absalom Beeney, and whether there  were any other Absaloms in the same family? Supt. Emberry said he believed there were half a dozen hawkers about who gave the name of Absalom Beeney he remembered one who was before the court only a short time ago for a similar offence. His Worship fined the prisoner. 10s., the lowest penalty he could inflict, and reminded him and a friend who payed the money for him, that if any other person were found using this License he would render himself liable to a penalty of £40.

Offline shaun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 09 April 18 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Panished,

Thankyou for replying. This is very interesting. It seems that these families were very good at making it hard to keep track of them through names alone. There were alot of John Beeney's in my family on official records. However within the family and community were always referred to by Jack, or Jackie.

ANy other records you can find to put up would be amazing.

thanks

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 09 April 18 20:22 BST (UK) »
 Helo shaun

A good day to you, i do hope you are well and your family fine.  Shaun i have found much that i think you would be interested in, Kent, the South, all those Counties. This information that i have researched will take a few pagers to transcribe, try at the end to read them as an whole, i did find John Jack and things like that but first we must start at the beginning.

The Black Death, this was a time of an apoplectic mind set, Doomsday, through out Europe Village Towns and whole Country's were decimated, millions died, they say the devil was riding high, the times being the mid 1300s, it was thought of as the last days, Gods wrath was upon the people, again it is wrote the Jews were being slaughtered by their thousands to appease the Plague, in England around these times the likes of you and me in our life were confined to the place of our birth in a never ending life of serfdom, more or less an open prison, basically you just worked for the lord of the manner and your work covered your expenses in your life as you were allowed to sleep on the lords land, thats about it, no where to go, just marry into another family of your Village and start the hole process over again, yes the Black Death, the Plague of Plagues, so what happened a few years later, well everything changed, them lords still had all the lands that they had been fighting over, over untold centuries, well like every war that came later the Plague destroyed millions of people like me and you, the lords then had fewer people to work the land, the ones that was left got wise, they started to move to the next Town and offer there labour for a certain price, this was the true start of the Hawker in my mind, the seasonal farm laborer, the tradespeople, this was a time of great change.

I think also at this time people known as the Romany Gipsies moved into the vacuum, so now you have agricultural movements and millions of vacancies that the Black Death had brought forth, you can research these times, i dont believe for one minute all that superposed talk of scholars about the narrative time scale of the times of the Gipsies, to me the real truth lays within the truth of how the Gipsies in England went to America in the 1800s, from this land, it was just for the reason that they were pioneers, they were searching out new orisons, great opportunity awaited, to many people like to down play the Gipsies endeavor,  the truth is the Gipsy was always wise and took advantage of new orisons, of course this was over many years and much happened within those times, so now we start, we both will learn evan "Kentish talk".

I found this record, this will be the start of our story.

South Eastern Gazette
12 July 1859
Kent

OBSTRUCTING THE ROAD _ Henry Beney, travelling horse dealer, vulgary termed " pickey", was charged with obstructing the roads in the town of Tunbridge. From the evidence of Mr. Godhard one of the Parish Constables, it appeared that on Tuesday, the market day, the defendant had refused to move his horses, although he had been repeatedly told, it was a very great inconvenience to foot passengers. The informant did not wish to press being only desirous of preventing the roads being stopped up._ Fined.

to be continued.......