Author Topic: Lamb  (Read 6859 times)

Offline papaandmim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

That explains why I cann't find a marriage record. Edith did remarry someone with the last name Reid.
Do you know anything about a daughter of James who was left behind when he went to South Africa? Her name was Mary or May.

Kathey

Offline davidmmac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 June 18 14:12 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit late to the party, but assume this may still be of some interest.
My late father was David George Lamb Macdonald, son of Thomas and Janet Kater Macdonald (nee Lamb). Janet was the daughter of James Crichton and Eleanor Rosina Lamb (nee Smith). She died in around 1975. James and his brother George Lamb did indeed go to South Africa and then went with the pioneer column to settle in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe). Both brothers were initially with Store Brothers in Johannesburg (I understand James may have had a spell in Kimberley). They opened the Salisbury (Rhodesia) branch of the operation. James and Eleanor had five children : Rosie (died in infancy but was the first birth officially registered in the country at the instigation of Mrs Lamb), Janet (my grandmother), Christina (married name Reeves), Nellie (married name Harding) and finally a son James Crichton (Jnr). In her book "Experiences of Rhodesia's Pioneer Women" author Jeannie M Boggie wrote a chapter on Mr & Mrs Lamb of Store Brothers chronicling many of the memories of my Grandmother (Janet).

Offline papaandmim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 June 18 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Thank you for your reply. Since I posted this I have acquired a lot of info on the Lambs and family photos. If you wish any info please email me at (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least two postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php