Author Topic: ATKINSON & JOHNSTON families, Ballina Co Mayo c1800 - completed  (Read 21655 times)

Offline John Atkinson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Old !
    • View Profile
Re: ATKINSON & JOHNSTON families, Ballina Co Mayo c1800 - completed
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 May 14 03:07 BST (UK) »
to hello567

my father's records indicate 5 sisters:
Sarah Atkinson d. 1866 @ George's
Ann Atkinson d, 1909 @ George's
3 ?     Atkinson - married a Dodd
4 ?     Atkinson - married another Dodd - no relation
5 ?     Atkinson - married a son of Dr. Milligan

Please - Who was George's father and were there other siblings ?

Offline hello567

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 May 14 04:58 BST (UK) »
to hello567

my father's records indicate 5 sisters:
Sarah Atkinson d. 1866 @ George's
Ann Atkinson d, 1909 @ George's
3 ?     Atkinson - married a Dodd
4 ?     Atkinson - married another Dodd - no relation
5 ?     Atkinson - married a son of Dr. Milligan

Please - Who was George's father and were there other siblings ?

How interesting. Did the girls marry in Ontario or Ireland?  I dont know for sure but I think George's father's name was George. I am not aware of any other siblings.

Offline John Atkinson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Old !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 May 14 13:35 BST (UK) »
to hello567
There is no indication that these girls were married in Ireland.
The Dodd name was a popular name around Orangeville Ont.
John - in Canada

Offline hello567

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 May 14 20:21 BST (UK) »
There was a Robert John Milligan (1837-1912) who was a printer who married Rebecca Atkinson (1835-1914). They had a son named Dr Arthur Atkinson Milligan and several other children. The problem is that Rebecca is not in the 1842 census with George so I dont know if she is actually his sister. Are you sure the other girls married a Dodd and not Dobbs? Is there no first names on the Bible? Thank you for sharing this information. The large gaps in dates of birth seems to indicate that George should have had several siblings.

Offline John Atkinson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Old !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 May 14 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi to hello567
- Sorry my error - the #3 Atkinson girl & the #4 Atkinson girl both married a "Scott" and not related.
-the #5 Atkinson girl, who married the son of Dr. Arthur Milligan, her name may be "Francis". The words "New York" also appear on the same line.
My , family bible, starts after the marriage of George Atkinson to Jane Glassford in 1854, so his siblings aren't shown. They had 10 children.
George Atkinson b. 1825, d. 1907.His mother's name is Ann(e) Maxwell? His father's George? Atkinson.
Any info. on G.Atkinson's immediate family in Ireland, would be appreciated immensely.
John - Canada

Offline hello567

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 May 14 23:34 BST (UK) »
Would it be possible for you to actually scan and send the page that shows the marriages of the girls? It is very difficult to try to ascertain exactly what is going on without seeing the documentation.

If you ordered the death certificate of George it should show his parents names. His sister's death cert said her mother's name was Maxwell and her father was George but I would not depend on that being correct unless George also has the same information on his death certificate.

You might also try to look at the cemetery and see what you can find. I have photos of George and his wife's headstone and a few kids but I don't know what cemetery they came from. You might know since you live in the area. I have never been to Ontario so I couldn't say.

George is definately from Cavangarden, Ireland. If you google the Atkinson family of Cavangarden you will find a great deal of information. I think someone from Australia posted a family tree on word press but it is hard to follow and incomplete but it will provide you with something to go on.

Offline John Atkinson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Old !
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 May 14 03:04 BST (UK) »
Hi to hello567
The document that I refer to, was copied and laminated for posterity last month.
The lead pencil writing on the cardboard paper is now smeared, small and nearly unreadable.
(no point emailing)
The cemetery is, St George's Anglican in Caledon twp.. Was taken over by the municipality as it was uncared for. The better stones were moved together and the rest were ? The Atkinson stone is there.
That is a long story itself. The cemetery records are too brief, believe me ! No mention of George''s mother or his two sisters who lived with him !
John A.

Offline hello567

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 16 May 14 19:34 BST (UK) »
You say now that she married the son of Dr Arthur Milligan. Are you quite sure of that? I had mentioned a Dr Arthur Atkinson Milligan who is unrelated in a previous post. I wasted an entire day looking for the Dodd marriages which were incorrect so I would like to be sure that the name of Arthur Milligan is correct.

Have you been in touch with John Samuel Atkinson's grandchildren in Ontario?

Offline John Atkinson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Old !
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 01:39 BST (UK) »
to hello567
I have no names or addresses for the Captain John Samuel's grandchildren.nor any leads.
John