Author Topic: How do I find my great-aunts grave - scotland  (Read 8988 times)

Offline bobby66

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find my great-aunts grave - scotland
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Billy - thought I was getting somewhere - have phoned lots of folks and only the Crematorian Society could tell me she definately wasn't cremated.  Glasgow Council says they will search which will be at a cost of £12.36 per half hour - am willing to pay but thought before I forked out more money I'd post a look up request.  Actually  think I may have subsidised all the councils in scotland for family research over the last six months.  Everyone has been very helpful but basically keep getting sent to the Mitchell Library.  Do you think it's best to just give them more money - would that be an easier route - don't want to cause anyone any more work than they need.  It's Agnes Young died at 48 Gallowgate in Glasgow on 1st July 1929 (murdered by an insane seaman).  Her residential address was 116 Drygate, Glasgow.  Unfortunately I wouldn't know one area of Glasgow from another so have no idea what cemetaries are in the area.  All advise welcome.  I think I've pretty much hit panic mode since we're getting so close and I can't get any time off work before july to get the the Library myself.  Eva

Offline bobby66

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 18:16 BST (UK) »
HI EVA IF YOU STAY IN GLASGOW GO TO THE PARKS DEPRT ARGYLE STREET THEY HAVE RECORDS FOR ALL GRAVES KIND REGARDS MATGARET

Offline egar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

That's wonderful, thank you - only stay an hour away on the train so will arrange a day off work soon.  Kind regards, Eva

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 19:45 BST (UK) »
Eva, try going through this,  http://memento-mori.co.uk/   surely she would have a headstone, the neighbours possibly chipped in for one!......Skoosh.

Offline egar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi.  Been through them all - but to no avail :-[  will keep looking tho.  thx, eva

Offline Kate Mason

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 31 August 15 23:37 BST (UK) »
Dear Eva,
Hello, your posts popped up when I was searching so have signed up.

Please forgive any intrusion but I wondered if you had tracked down Agnes Young’s last resting place since your last post? – I know it was a long time back, some years now. It’s an incredibly long shot but my family have been trying to trace an Agnes of our own for 10 yrs to no avail and I wonder whether she may have changed her name (due to some skeletons we think)– there is no record of her death etc anywhere and she disappears from the record in the early 1920’s (was born Falkirk). Every attempt to trace her has failed. Many of the details match the account of your Agnes such as similar age range, likely whereabouts and so on and little available info on her early life – I just wondered whether was a chance they might just be one and the same? – long shot I know…..
I wondered if you might have a picture I might look at? - I'd be so very grateful if . The Agnes I am looking for is my Great-Grandmother and my Mother has tried so hard to find her and just kept hitting a wall.

All the best, Kate