Author Topic: Peter Geddes and Elspet Crockett  (Read 24416 times)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Geddes and Elspet Crockett
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 21:21 GMT (UK) »
you'll have to login on the home page using your username and the password
that was emailed to you

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Ann in 1881?

28 Main Street, Rathven Banffshire
Head: Ann GEDDES 52, Fisherman's widow, b Keith Banffshire
Dau: Annie GEDDES 21, b Enzie
Grand-Dau: Annie GEDDES 6, b Enzie

After you register, and your logged on........
Go to "HOME". Click on  Statutory Registers - Births 1855 -2006
The Index search form will come up.

Wild card is * and is well to use.
When you choose a  county, the form will reload  - then finish entering search parameters and click search.  The form will reload each time you choose a new county, so be sure to always click search after a reload. This will make more sense once you're in and using it  :)

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all this helpful information. When I went on to the Statuory Births, it said I needed credits to search.
Also seeing as I am struggling slighty, could you perhaps find Peter Geddes in the index if he is in there?

Thanks,
             Greg :):)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greg

OK, so you've regsitered with them - and are now logged in?

Up top left it will say:

Logged in as: Greg (or whatever your chosen username is)  ?

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greg

Sorry you're struggling  :'(
Worth perservering though - SP is good value for money cert-wise especialy once you've gotten the hang of getting as much as you can out of the free searches first...

Once you have registered, confirmed and logged in - you can definitely freely perform searches in the Stat. Reg.  index (not to be confused with the blue "Free Surname Search" box on the Home page).

You dont'need credits to search and be told there is for example 1 person matching your search criteria.

Anyway.....
SEARCH: Peter GEDDES deaths
Between 1901 (when he was seen on the Census)
to 1955 (who's to say he didn't live to be a 100  ;) )

RESULT:
38 Peter GEDDES deaths in all Scotland
(MMS is not captured on the Index until 1974, though on actual certs it is there if it was informed))

NOW, progressively narrow the search result:
14 of those 38 are in Banffshire
4 of the 14 were born 1853+/-5years in Banffshire (1848 to 1858)
3 of those 4 had their deaths registered specifically in Rathven and all by end of 1939
1 of the 3 died by 1910 - the other 2 died between 1921 and 1939

So  -  you have 3 Peter GEDDES who died in Rathven between 1901 and 1939, who were born anytime between 1848 and 1858.

When you pay 1 credit to view an index page, your search is saved (you can refer back to it for free).  You also get a maximum of 20 listings per page / per credit. The year and age indexed will be on that 1 credit Index result.

So you can search the 14 Peter GEDDES who died in Banffshire, and view the results for 1 credit.  Then you can pick out the one(s) you want to buy a cert for (for 5 more credits apiece).

Trouble is - the free search has identified 3 possibilities - and that's only by assuming his death is registered in Rathven btw 1901 & 1939. Once you view the Index page for 1 credit, it may be the 14 entries clearly identify the one most likely to be yours  - which in turn may be one of those 3 in Rathven.

Keep in mind,  though:
The age and pob as seen on the Census of 1901 (abt 1855 Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, as opposed to:
The age and pob you believe to be correct (abt 1851 Port Gordon), and combine with:
The fact ages on a death record can be mis-taken (mis-informed or not known correctly by informant) and consider:
He may not have died in Rathven (so not registered there), or not even in Banffshire. He may have outlived the wife, moved counties to be with one of the children or died at sea...anything is possible.

Lucky dip, I'm afraid. In a perfect world with pots of dosh, one would try narrow his probable death by first seeing what his wife's cert said, his children's post 1901 marriages if he was stated as deceased.

If you priority is to acertain his parents, I would plump for the 1874 marriage first - major reason being Peter himself would have provided the information thereon.  His parents details on his death cert will have been informed by someone else - who may have gotten something wrong!

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. I have came slightly more closer to finding his death now. I also tried out that AncestralScotland as it gives you 10 free creds. When I got sent my confirmation it only said
"Hi Greg,".   ::)

I'm unsure if I am the only one experiencing this problem but it doesnt say the activation code at all  :-\

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 17 December 09 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Somebody has found my great-great-grandparents marriage certificate. James Geddes and Jessie-Ann Findlay married 1910. Elspet and Peter were still alive according to the marriage certificate. Elspet doesn't have a job and Peter is a fisherman.

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 27 December 09 09:24 GMT (UK) »
My husband has a lot of Geddes from Port Gordon in his family tree. I don't know if you've seen the following site, I've found it very useful:

http://rgu-sim.rgu.ac.uk/history/family_history.htm

Hope it helps.

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 27 December 09 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have, thanks  :). Most of my Geddes' came from Portgordon. Some of mine also came from Cullen and Portessie.