Author Topic: Peter Geddes and Elspet Crockett  (Read 24376 times)

Offline vikinggold

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Geddes and Elspet Crockett
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 12 September 10 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've just came across this site while looking for more information on Peter Geddes & Elspet Crockett.  They are not the easiest to find as the last reference I have is on the Marriage Records for George Alexander Thain and Ann Geddes (my great-grandparents).  I was told by my father that Elspet Crockett came from Lossiemouth as she is apparently related to my mother's family who also have relatives in Lossiemouth by the name of Crockett.
I have found an Elspet Crockett born on 26 Mar 1853 to William Crockett & Janet Stewart (of Drainie) who shows up in the 1861 census aged 8, and in the 1871 census aged 18 at 22 Commerce Street, Lossiemouth as a general servant.  I believe that this is the mother of Ann Geddes.  Ann also had a sister who I believe was called Isobel, she was also known as 'Epy Didle' and used to sell fish in the Portgordon area.  I have a photo of her with her fish basket taken on the seafront at Portgordon.  I also have a photo of George Alexander Thain and Ann Geddes with their son Nelson, one of their 11 children.
There is a lot of information on Dr Peter Reid's site hosted at RGU, but I haven't got to the details of Peter Geddes so far.
Check it out at http://rgu-sim.rgu.ac.uk/history/family_history.htm if you haven't already done so.
If you have any more information on Peter Geddes and Elspet Crockett, I would be very interested.

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 28 October 10 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,
         I went through to Edinburgh and thankfully I was able to find them. I found Ann Geddes and George Alexander Thain too. Annie's brother, James, was my great-great-grandfather. I had no idea Ann and George had 11 children, I only found 8. George, Peter, William, John, Elsie, Annie, Margaret, Joan. Which one of these was your grandparent?

Peter Geddes - 29/11/1927 - 8 Hope Street, Portgordon
Elspet Crockett - 10/4/1939 - 25 High Street West, Portgordon

George Alexander Thain - 8/2/1945 - 5 Reid Terrace, Portgordon
Ann Crockett - 29/3/1956 - Aberdeen Royal Infirmary

I noticed that Ann was born illegitimate to Elsie Crockett and I noticed she died that way. Peter Geddes was her dad on her marriage certificate, although I am unsure if he actually was the father. Could you maybe tell me all of the children born to Ann and George. Thanks again.  :)

Offline vikinggold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 01 November 10 13:03 GMT (UK) »
hi,
Thanks for the information you posted.  Here is what I have that might be of interest.  If you wish to contact me you can get me at (*).

Elspet Crockett - born 26 Mar 1853 in Stotfield (d. 10 Apr 1939)
married Peter Geddes (d. 29 Nov 1927) on 02 Mar 1874
Family:
Annie Geddes born 1874
? Geddes (a.k.a. Epy Diddle) possibly Isobel or Elsie?

Annie Geddes married George Alexander Thain on 19 Feb 1897.
Family:
George Thain (b. 24 Feb 1896)(d. 12 Jun 19550
Peter Thain (b. 12 Dec 1898)(d. abt. 14 May 1964, Kingseat Hospital, Aberdeen)
William James Thain (b. 09 Jun 1900)
John Thain (b. 23 Sep 1901, 1 High Street West, Portgordon)
          (d. 03 Feb 1979, Spynie Hospital, Elgin)
Elsie Mary Margaret Thain (b. 1904)
Joan Geddes Thain (b.1918)
Horatio Nelson Thain (lived in Fochabers)
Ernest Thain (lived in Buckie)
Bert Thain (lived in Hopeman)
Annabella Thain (Nannie)
Daisy Thain

John Thain was my grandfather and he married Jane Packman (b. 18 Jan 1904, Fordyce) on 27 Nov 1923 in St Gregory's Church, Presholme, Enzie.
Family:
Edith Thain (b. 08 Feb 1924) lives in Yeovil
Alfie Thain (b. 05 Feb 1925) lives in Sheffield
Isobel Thain (b. 10 May 1926)(d. 08 Sep 2007, Aberdeen)
John Thain (b. 28 Jul 1928, Carnoch Cottages, Rathven)
          (d. 21 Dec 2002, Dr Gray's Hospital, Elgin)  -  My father
Jeannie Anne Thain (b. 18 Jul 1930) lives in Buckie

George Alexander Thain born 12 Dec 1875 in Lennox Place, Portgordon
and died 08 Feb 1945 at 5 Reid Terrace, Portgordon.
Mother was Elspet (Elsie) Bruce (d. 01 Mar 1934) (m. 17 Oct 1873, Enzie)
Father was George Thain (b. 1853, Portgordon)
          (d. 09 Jan 1909, 17 Lennox Place, Portgordon)
Family:
George Alexander Thain
Margaret Jane Thain (b. 06 Jan 1883)
Mary Jessie Thain (b. 17 Aug 1885)
Elspet Ann Thain (b. 03 Sep 1888)
William James Thain (b. 13 Feb 1889, Portgordon)
Georgina Thain (b. 10 Jul 1891)
Catherine Thain (b. 16 Mar 1895)

I hope this is of some help to you, and would appreciate any corrections or additions to the above.  I have more details of George Thain's ancestors available if you are interested.
Thanks once again.   :)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 20:05 GMT (UK) »
That is very useful information on Ann's children. I could only find 8. I noticed you did not put Margaret Jane Thain (b.1909 d.1919) and Annie Smith Thain (b.1911 d. Eastern Europe (possibly Denmark). I have got all of Peter Geddes and Elsie Crockett's children.
- Ann Crockett - (25 Dec 1873 37 Commerce St. Lossiemouth - 29 Mar 1956 A.R.I) (Aberdeen Royal)
- William Alexander Geddes (14 Nov 1875 46 Commerce St. Lossiemouth - 27 Jul 1902 Lerwick)
- Peter Geddes (15 Oct 1877 8 Baker St. Lossiemouth - 17 Oct 1917 Brindisi, Italy)
- Jessie Geddes (4 May 1879 8 Baker St. - 9 May 1969 Forse House, Latheron)
- John Geddes (12 May 1883 37 Kinneddar St. Lossiemouth - 20 Dec 1963 Dr Grays Hospital Elgin)
- Alexander Geddes (3 May 1881 37 Kinneddar St. Lossiemouth- 3 Jul 1971 Woodend Hosp. Aberdeen)
- Margaret Geddes (28 Apr 1885 23 Stewart St. Portgordon- 30 Dec 1974 Seafield Hospital)
- James Geddes (my great-great grandfather) (24 Aug 1887 23 Stewart St. Portgordon- 25 Nov 1951 Great Yarmouth)
- Elsie Geddes (is this the sister that you have a photo of?) (29 Jun 1889 23 Stewart St. Portgordon - Canada)
- Charles Geddes (3 Sep 1897 21 Lennox Place Portgordon - 30 May 1966 1 Reid Terrace Portgordon)

As of present I they are all gone as are their children, with the exception of about 2 or 3 of Peter and Elsie's grandchildren. My 88 year old (soon to be 89) great-grandmother is still living, she was cousins with your grandfather John Thain.

Thanks again,
                      Greg

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 04 November 10 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at Peter Reid's Portgordon genealogy web site?

http://rgu-sim.rgu.ac.uk/history/family_history.htm
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 05 November 10 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at Peter Reid's Portgordon genealogy web site?

http://rgu-sim.rgu.ac.uk/history/family_history.htm

Thanks for posting the link .... have been able to re-enter some dates and names back into the family tree .....

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vikinggold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 15 November 10 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greg,
many thanks for posting details on the family of Annie Geddes as I didn't have much information on that side of the family.
Going back to her children, I have never heard about Annie Smith Thain at all.
Maggie Jane Thain I have managed to trace and she is the one I have called Daisy.
I have checked out the records for Buckie Cemetery, Lair 103, Section D, Headstone Ref: Bu1335.
This is where George and Annie are buried.
The details on record are as follows:
Lair purchased by George "Downie" Thain, 23 Stewart Street, Portgordon on 29 Oct 1912, and transferred to Ernest Alfred Thain, Wallace Avenue, Buckie, in Sep 1946.

Interments:

Name            Relationship   Age      Date of Interment
Still Born                        04 Dec 1909
Maggie Jane Thain   (Daughter)   10yrs      06 Nov 1918
Georgina Thain   (Grandchild)   4Days   13 Mar 1923
Joan G Thain   (Daughter)   18yrs      24 Nov 1936
George A Thain   (Self)      69yrs      10 Feb 1945
Annie Thain   (Widow)      82yrs      02 Apr 1956
Peter Thain   (Fisherman)   65yrs      19 May 1961

The gravestone inscription reads:
In Loving Memory
Of My Dear
Husband and Father
George A Thain Downie
Died 6th Feb 1945
Also Daughter & Sisters
Daisy Died 2nd Nov 1918
and Joan Geddes
Died 17th Nov 1936
From Wife and Family
At Rest

This would add another child (the stillborn one in 1909) to the list making it 13 in total, although she is not shown on the gravestone.
I have no idea who the granddaughter Georgina is, or who Peter Thain might be.  He is not George's brother Peter because he died in 1964.
If you are interested in finding the headstone, go into the cemetery and after the road on the right go to the second row of graves.  Take the left side and go almost to the end of the row, its about 13 lairs from the end but there are few headstones in that area.  Its easy to miss as it is a flat stone.

I think that you could be right as Elsie Geddes could be the one I have the photo of carrying her fish basket.  Due to the limitations of size it wouldn't be worth posting a copy here, but if you would like copies of it and any other I have use my username at gmail (the com one).  I didn't notice that they had removed it from my posting last time, is it against forum rules to contact each other?
regards,
John

Offline lmsb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 03 July 11 05:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Listers,
I'm also searching 'mainly' the Crockett line, have Elspet Crockett m. Peter Geddes.  However i've just found your posts which have given me more leads on the Geddes line.  I already had Peter jnr Geddes b1876 son of Peter and Elspet.   http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=3040986 
The link is Peter WW1 info.  Peter m. Joan Hay b. 10 Mar 1879. 

Regards.
Imsb
New Zealand.

Offline lmsb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 03 July 11 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've just came across this site while looking for more information on Peter Geddes & Elspet Crockett.  They are not the easiest to find as the last reference I have is on the Marriage Records for George Alexander Thain and Ann Geddes (my great-grandparents).  I was told by my father that Elspet Crockett came from Lossiemouth as she is apparently related to my mother's family who also have relatives in Lossiemouth by the name of Crockett.
I have found an Elspet Crockett born on 26 Mar 1853 to William Crockett & Janet Stewart (of Drainie) who shows up in the 1861 census aged 8, and in the 1871 census aged 18 at 22 Commerce Street, Lossiemouth as a general servant.  I believe that this is the mother of Ann Geddes.  Ann also had a sister who I believe was called Isobel, she was also known as 'Epy Didle' and used to sell fish in the Portgordon area.  I have a photo of her with her fish basket taken on the seafront at Portgordon.  I also have a photo of George Alexander Thain and Ann Geddes with their son Nelson, one of their 11 children.
There is a lot of information on Dr Peter Reid's site hosted at RGU, but I haven't got to the details of Peter Geddes so far.
Check it out at http://rgu-sim.rgu.ac.uk/history/family_history.htm if you haven't already done so.
If you have any more information on Peter Geddes and Elspet Crockett, I would be very interested.

Would any one know when Isobell Geddes was born and would she fit in beween Elsie and Charles as some one else mentioned that there is a gap from Elsie and Charles. 

Regards,
Crockett re-searcher, New Zealand.