Author Topic: Wisbech Particular Baptist Church, Hill St Headstone lookup  (Read 8989 times)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wisbech Particular Baptist Church, Hill St Headstone lookup
« on: Thursday 17 December 09 06:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have just discovered that a number of ancestors appear to have all been buried at this church, and there is some possibility of a family tomb. Some of these ancestors died in Norfolk, and were brought here to be buried, and possibly one was a deacon of the church.

I have tried contacting the church directly with no luck, and was wondering if there was a generous soul out there who might take a stroll in their churchyard for me, to see if there is a tomb please?

The following are all buried there:
Hannah Wood - mother of Mary Dawbarn in 1824
Richard Dawbarn- husb of Mary Dawbarn, aged 40; buried in 1826...burial listed as in Vault of William Wood
Mary Dawbarn- 1829
Emily Dawbarn- dau of Mary and Richard in 1822
John Stephenson Dawbarn- son of Mary and Richard in 1826
Willaim Wood- 1826 aged 78

If anyone was willing to visit the cemetery and tell me of any vault/memorial inscriptions for these folk, I would be incredibly grateful- I have other missing pieces to the family puzzle that I am wondering if they too are buried there.

Many thanks- and merry christmas!
KYlie B

Offline FosseWay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wisbech Particular Baptist Church, Hill St Headstone lookup
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kylie

I'm related to this lot too. I have been to Wisbech but don't remember any cemetery associated with the Baptist chapel -- it's right in the middle of the town and there's not much unbuilt space there. If it ever did have a graveyard, I'm fairly certain it no longer does.

I'm very interested, though, in your inclusion of Wood burials. I know that Richard Dawbarn married Mary Wood in 1809 in Wisbech, and know of Mary's death, but know absolutely nothing of her birth or parentage. This sounds like it could lead somewhere -- thanks!

There are a number of Dawbarns buried in the old town cemetery, which is now a 'pocket park' (for which read horrendously overgrown). We spent some time grubbing around under the vegetation, but being a park, deploying a machete or napalm is frowned on! There is a plan/list of burials, which is held in the town museum, IIRC.

I have a fair bit of Dawbarn-related information if you have any specific queries.

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 03:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

Yes- Mary Wood was the wife of Richard Dawbarn- they used Wood as a middle name for some of the children I think.

Her parents were John Meadows Wood and Hannah Kidman- they married in Cambridgeshire in 1775. John was from Norwich and the son of a non conformist minister- Rev Samuel Wood of Framlingham. He was one of about 8 children from memory- would have to go and look them up!

Hannah was the daughter of William Kidman and Martha Wilkin (married 1743). She was baptised at the Church of Christ independant chapel in Cambridge in 1771...perhaps how she met her husband? Her sister Lydia was also baptised the same year- both were recorded as 'grown daughters'.

Mary was one of 4 children- her siblings were John meadows wood jnr, Elizabeth Wood and William Wood. No idea what happened to William, Elizabeth married Thomas Marsters and lived in Bawsey and Sherbourne area of Norfolk, and John Jnr married Mary Hawkins.

I have Richard with 2 brothers- Robert and Thomas and his father being RobertB, and a sister Mary who married John Dowson...if you have any more on them or any corrctions, would love to have them!!
Kylie B

Offline FosseWay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kylie

Thanks for this. Where did you get the info on Mary's parents from?

Richard Dawbarn had 8 or 9 siblings IIRC. I'm at work at the moment so can't check, but will do this evening. If I've counted the generations right, Richard and Mary are my GGGG grandparents. How do you relate to him?

Alex

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alex
My line is to John Meadows Wood Jnr- Mary's brother. I actually had no idea about any siblings until I read his mothers will- she named Richard Dawbarn and Thomas Marsters as her executers.

This is what I have on Mary and Richard in summary:
Mary Wood; married Richard Dawbarn 18 Jan 1809 St Peter Wisbech Cambridgeshire. Children: Mary Wood born 2 April 1810, Thomas born 29 Aug 1811, Hannah Marie born 6 Feb 1813, Richard born 20 Nov 1814 (Sat at 4.30 pm), Julia born 6 May 1816, Lucy Elizabeth born 13 Feb 1818, henry born 3 Dec 1819, Emily born 10 Oct 1821 (born half hour before 6pm, died Tues Oct 10 in 1822), John Stephenson born 3 Nov 1825, died 8 March 1826 and buried 10 March 1826 beside Emily. Husband Richard died 23 Jan 1826 at 4am and interred in vault of William Wood aged 40. Mary died 1829.

I assume the William Wood with the vault must be related somehow but still havnt figured out how- he is not Mary's brother.

John Meadows Wood (Mary's brother) married Mary Hawkins and they had one daughter- Mary Hannah. I am decended from her. Which of Mary and richards children are you decended from?
Kylie

Offline FosseWay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kylie

I'm now at home and have my stuff in front of me. Richard Dawbarn (1786-1827) was the fourth of 11 children of Richard Bunbury Dawbarn (1757-1829) and Elizabeth Saltenstall. RBD was a preacher in the Hill Street Baptist church and may have been one of its founders.

All of the info you posted about Mary and Richard matches what I've got except I have an extra child, Martha, who was born between Emily and John Stephenson on 7 May 1823 and died 14 Jan 1895. I'm descended from Richard Wood Dawbarn, the fourth child (this family was spectacularly unoriginal with children's names), and Mary Lafone Dawbarn (his cousin).

I've traced the Dawbarns definitely back to the start of the 17th century and slightly less securely back to the 1540s. It's a rare name and virtually all of them that I've found have turned out to be related to me.

I have copies of the wills of Richard Bunbury Dawbarn, Richard husband of Mary Wood and John Dowson, if these are of interest. My great-uncle (whose middle name is Dawbarn) has some paintings of early Dawbarns: Richard Bunbury D., Richard Wood D. (b. 1814), Mary Lafone D. his wife, and John D., brother of Richard the husband of Mary Wood. Unfortunately he doesn't have any of Richard and Mary, but I have photographs of the others if you're interested.

Offline greenfarmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 October 10 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie & Fosseway,
Have just enrolled with Rootschat and was most interested to hear about the Dawbarns of Wisbech-in particular Mary Lafone Dawbarn.
I am trying to find out who her parents were and if she might have been a G'Daughter of Samuel Lafone b.1770 & married 1st Mary Seacome Ellison in 1794 & 2nd Sarah Hurry in 1813.
I know that Mary S Ellison's sister Jane Ellison married 1st Francis Hurry(2 daughters) & then married John Dawbarn in abt.1811 and several F.trees show Mary Lafone Dawbarn to be their daughter,but I can't think that she would have been called Lafone unless her mother(or father) had Lafone blood.
Your help please.
Samuel Lafone was my GGGG'father ,a merchant in Liverpool.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 October 10 20:19 BST (UK) »
I was drawn to this thread as I have Cambridgeshire Baptist connections, albeit further south in the vicinity of Cambridge. Regarding there being no Baptist cemetary in Wisbech, why not enquire at the local museum? If there was a cemetary and it has been cleared for development then the remains will have been re-interred, usually with a complete list of those interred.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline FosseWay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 08:29 BST (UK) »
Greenfarmer: I have the information you're after but I'm at work at the moment -- I'll dig it out this evening. From memory, Mary Lafone Dawbarn is indeed the granddaughter of Samuel Lafone b.1770.

Roger: I have been to the museum in Wisbech but I can't remember the answer to the question of where the Baptists were buried. They do, however, have a guide to the old town cemetery, which is now a pocket park and very overgrown. Despite the vegetation I managed to find gravestones for a lot of my relatives there. I seem to remember, though, that up to a certain point everyone tended to get married and buried in Anglican churches even if they went to Methodist, Baptist etc. chapels for normal worship. It may be, therefore, that the Hill Street Baptists were buried in the same place as the local Anglicans, namely the churchyard around St Peter's and the pocket park mentioned above. Certainly there are plenty of Dawbarns in the latter. In the case of Wisbech I don't think the Baptist chapel ever had a graveyard -- certainly by the time of the earliest OS map I can find online (1884) it didn't.