Author Topic: HOEY or HOY Sligo - Info available  (Read 11298 times)

Offline greenpaula

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HOEY or HOY Sligo - Info available
« on: Thursday 17 December 09 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I've just spent 20 euros on looking at births and marriages of possible ancestors in Sligo with zilch results  :(
I have however printed off the records I looked at between 1821 and 1846 so if anyone is looking for Hoey or Hoy from Sligo give me the name and I'll check if I have any references to it. Whilst I only have 7 print-outs there are parents names too so in total there are around 20 names.

:) :) :)
Hoey, McLuskey - Scotland & Ireland. Eckersley, Rogerson - Lancashire. McGee - Ireland, Lancashire. Barnes - Bolton, Lancs

Offline gaucho

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: HOEY or HOY SLIGO INFO AVAILABLE
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 January 10 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
if you wouldn't mind, do you have a Patrick Hoy born around 1820?
Can I ask where you got these details- I'm more familiar with Scottish records, the Irish ones are new territory.
many thanks.
John
McGowan, Dunlop, Watson, Kerr, Rickelton, McLachlan, Devine, Glasgow

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 January 10 08:24 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that the website used by greenpaula for the Co. Sligo Parish records was the Irish Family History Foundation at www.irish-roots.ie

Searching their index is free once you register and they charge €5 for each record transcript you view.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline greenpaula

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 January 10 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi John
I'm at work at the moment so I'll have a look for a Patrick when I get home later today. As Shane said I did use the irish roots site.
Regards
Paula
Hoey, McLuskey - Scotland & Ireland. Eckersley, Rogerson - Lancashire. McGee - Ireland, Lancashire. Barnes - Bolton, Lancs

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 January 10 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Griffths valuation 1858, Hugh Hoey Ballyscannel, Ahamlish, Sligo,
John Hoey Drangen or Mount Edward, Ahamlish, Sligo, John Hoey Mullanabreene Anchonry Sligo,  lot more Hoey on this site if you go through www.google.com when the box comes up type in - Griffiths Valuation Sligo 1858 do you know what part of Sligo they came from Hoey did live in Ballyshannon County Donegal.

Offline greenpaula

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 January 10 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi John
As promised I've had a look what I've got.
Only one Patrick baptism - probably too late for your guy - Patrick Hoye  baptised 18/8/1833 Parents Thomas and Margaret Feeney.
Are your Hoeys definitely from Sligo, emigrating to Scotland?
I'm asking because one of our relatives is a Patrick Hoey, born circa 1799 who emigrated to Lanarkshire around 1846. I have no records of him having a son Patrick but my man is the right age to be your Patrick's dad and in those days there was often a son named after the father.
Regards
Paula

Offline gaucho

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Paula.
From Mary Barton nee Hoy's poor relief application, she was born in Sligo about 1857 parents Patrick Hoy a labourer and Mary Feenie. Her sister Ann's application has the same parent's names. Mary Feenie was in Scotland, and applied for poor relief, but I can't find her application. I wonder if the names are coincidence.
Have to think about this more!
best wishes,
John

Offline lulibell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Albert Edward Pugh and his bride Maria Phillips
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Dear Paula
I'm researching my husband's family who came from Inishmurray Island ,Sligo.
The family names are Herrity /Heraghty, Donlon, Hoey /Hoy.
I haven't attempted to view the records yet on the 5 euros a look site yet, but I've tried to do some searches using info that I know or gathered from the censuses. These are no way checked out yet!!
I think Catherine Hoey born 1858 married James Donlon.
I think Catherine may have been the daughter of Michael Hoey , who was married to Catherine Dyer, or possibly to a daughter of a Heraghty.
The family records I believe are Ahamlish parish  but sometimes Drumcliffe.
I would be really grateful if you have any clues that you could share with me even if they help me sort out which individuals are not ours.
I hope you've had better luck with your research recently.
Many thanks
Lu
 :)
Pugh Phillips Worrall Savage Gwillum Grant Wild Jessop Evans Coley (B'ham and Staffordshire)
Pitt Jones Lerry (B'ham and Hereford/Worcestershire) Clark Fordyce Bruce (Unst) Hall Holland (Staffordshire) Doust (Birmingham)
Herrity Heraghty Donlon(Sligo) MCNulty McMahon (Armagh)

Offline gaucho

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
glad this was bumped!
 I found Mary Feenie's poor relief application. From this, she was born in 1830 in the Parish of Cuilbeg, parents James Feenie and Agnes Hart. She was married  around 1850 by Rev Callaghan to Patrick Hoy, born around 1808, died around 1868 in West Drumcliff, his parents John Hoy a labourer and Bridget Carrott. Her daughter Mary was born in West Drumcliffe.
John