Author Topic: The VAUGHANs of Kimpton, Wheathampstead, Boxmoor and Goldings.  (Read 5373 times)

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
The VAUGHANs of Kimpton, Wheathampstead, Boxmoor and Goldings.
« on: Monday 21 December 09 11:31 GMT (UK) »
I was born at the Lodge and baptized at the Chapel Dr Barnardo’s Tech College Goldings and in relation to my direct paternal line would be interested in establishing the following;
1. The burial location of Daniel Vaughan, death registered 2nd Qtr 1896, in the Watford registration district.
2. Confirmation that  James Vaughan baptized at Sth Mimms 20 Oct 1811 is my ancestor who mrd at Kimpton to Sarah Dollin 18 Oct 1835. He declares born at Kimpton in all census except one which he shows as Sth Mimms.
3. James Vaughan mrd Mary Mays at Kings Walden 23 Mar 1810, would like to confirm that James Vaughan mrd at Kimpton to Sarah Dollin 18th Oct 1835 is his son and that Sarah Vaughan later wife of George Daws who mrd at Kings Walden 25 Dec 1834 is sibling to my ancestor James Vaughan, also where are the other children besides these 2 of this union?
4. Would like any further information on James & Mary Vaughan nee’ Mays.
5. My Grandfather born 1896 was one of 8 children who all appear to have survived to adulthood. One ~ Charles James Vaughan was K.I.A. 15th Sept 1916(listed Boxmoor and Theipval), of the rest I know absolutely nothing from the 20th century, other than a couple of Free BMD entries, rumour has it that the Vaughans owned an electrical shop in Welwyn.
I would be interested in finding any modern descendents of other Vaughan family branches.
With over 40 years historical research experience, if I can assist anyone with research in Pembrokeshire please let me know.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Vaughan’s of Kimpton, Wheathampstead, Boxmoor and Goldings.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Oriel,

On the assumption that Daniel died in 1896 whilst a patient in Leavesden Hospital, he would doubtless be buried in the cemetery within the Hospital grounds, now known as the East Lane Cemetery.   
The Hospital closed in 1995 and ownership of the cemetery was transferred to Three Rivers District Council.
A report of the situation at the cemetery was made by the DC on 11Jun2009 and details are given on  www.threerivers.gov.uk/GetResource.aspx
Hope this helps and good luck with the rest of your search.

Regards   ...   Peter
Census information is Crown Copyright http:/www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jimford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The VAUGHANs of Kimpton, Wheathampstead, Boxmoor and Goldings.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi.

I was at the Leavesden Hospital Burial Ground a couple of days ago. It's down the now very neglected East Lane. Here's a 'tinyurl' link to the location on Google Maps:

http://tinyurl.com/yjr8ow8

It's the wooded square where the road bends 90 degrees.

It's a sad and very neglected spot, and whilst the findings of the report posted above imply that it's beyond tidying up. I don't think it is - I was able to roam freely without encountering impenetrable undergrowth. I think the council don't really want to get involved. I have no faith, but respect the memory of the dead, and think it's a shame that those who were largely forgotten and neglected in life continue to be so in death!

Out of curiosity I examined several of the gravestones, but can't recall seeing a 'Vaughan', but a more thorough search may be rewarded. It's unlikely that I'll visit the place again - the lane is virtually impassable to traffic (I was walking when I went), but if I do I'll check for your ancestor and report back.

There's a plaque stating that the records are in the chapel at Leavesden Hospital - but the chapel is now used for business purposes! It may well be that the book is now with a local church.

I took a photograph of the lych gate at the entrance.

Jim

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 23:25 BST (UK) »
.............Out of curiosity I examined several of the gravestones, but can't recall seeing a 'Vaughan', but a more thorough search may be rewarded.

Jim Many thanks for your assistance. I would be delighted with anything you may find here. Having been blooded and ripped searching churchyards and Cemeteries in Pembrokeshire ~ please be carefull.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
1946-2015

Offline jimford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 March 13 17:05 GMT (UK) »
A long time since my last post, but:

I was in the Three Rivers Museum in Rickmansworth today, and saw a display on Leavesden Hospital. There also seemed to be some records. I spoke to one of the curators and was told that an 'expert' on the hospital  will be giving a talk in October this year (2013).

Here's a link to the museum, that has a contact email:

http://www.hertfordshire.com/pages/entries/show-entry.asp?id=3974

Hope this helps 'Orielbenfro' (if you're still following this thread)

Jim

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 March 13 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hope this helps 'Orielbenfro' (if you're still following this thread)
Jim
I'm hanging in there but only just, alas probably for not much longer. Beyond me now to travel the distances required. I had hoped to take my grandson to the Nov 11th at Boxmoor, but that won't happen.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
1946-2015

Offline jimford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 May 15 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi 'Orielbenfro'

A couple of years on from my last post, but maybe you're still interested!

I saw in a local paper that there is a 'Leavesden Hospital History Association'. Here's their web site:

http://www.leavesdenhospital.org/

It may be that they know where the burial records are located, which may state the precise location of your relative.

If the location of the grave can be established, I'm quite prepared to go back and take a good quality photo' of it for you, or do any other 'leg work'.

Best wishes, Jim