Author Topic: Brennan family of Finglas  (Read 33591 times)

Offline Ms. Smokestoomuch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brennan family of Finglas
« Reply #27 on: Friday 01 January 10 11:53 GMT (UK) »
There still is a good chance even if you had those certs there maybe no way of making a connection.
She may not be born in Finglas.
You could end up with a number of certs in front of you and  still not be able to choose.
Maybe an unmarried mother might make you suspect you have the right one. But there is a chance you might never know with a birth cert alone.

Rafter, Smith, Hession, O'Gara, Leech, Durkin, McManus, Eustace, O'Brien, Hyland, White, Hoey, Maher, Martin, McConaghy, Flynn, Davy.
Ballybough, Ballina, Ballyinaglea, Sligo , Casleconner, Killucan, Royal Canal. Ballymoney(wex).

Offline kristof

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 01 January 10 12:24 GMT (UK) »
We don't know of any middle name so that won't help us;  I'd narrowed it down that that list of possibles as well, but had settled upon Annie Bridgit O'Shaughnessy as the most likely, or least unlikely candidate as her estimated age puts her birth in 1904, making the 1909 registration the closest.  We are working through the older members of the family to get her actual date of birth; someone, somewhere will know it; failing that it will be on her pension application (if that ever turns up).

How good is that search of births, deaths, etc?  Is it fairly comprehensive or is it only a small fraction of the actual births?  

Would there be any adoption records?

But as is very rightly pointed out, even if i did, by some stroke of luck actually strike the right birth certificate, how then do i prove a link with Annie?  I think it would only be if the exact date of birth matched up.
Brennan (Finglas)
O'Shaughnessy (Clare)
Welch (Dublin)
Moore (Portadown)
Williams (Cornwall)
Albrecht (Germany & Australia)
Korn (Germany & Australia)
Coster (London)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 01 January 10 13:13 GMT (UK) »
...How good is that search of births, deaths, etc?  Is it fairly comprehensive or is it only a small fraction of the actual births?  ...

the familysearch Irish Civil index is based on the GRO Index books - which are complete. In earlier years the occasional birth went unregistered - but I dont know if this happened very often by the 1900s

....But as is very rightly pointed out, even if i did, by some stroke of luck actually strike the right birth certificate, how then do i prove a link with Annie? ...

The only way I can think of is by a process of elimination - e.g. say you find three reasonable close births, and you research these and find that one dies unmarried and the other marries Mr. X - then you only have one left ..  time-consuming and possibly expensive, but might work.

It's also possible if Ann/Annie was fostered for some reason that she did not know her exact date of birth.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 01 January 10 13:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm not 100% but if she was offically adopted wouldn't her name have changed to McEvoy.

What year did she die?
Rafter, Smith, Hession, O'Gara, Leech, Durkin, McManus, Eustace, O'Brien, Hyland, White, Hoey, Maher, Martin, McConaghy, Flynn, Davy.
Ballybough, Ballina, Ballyinaglea, Sligo , Casleconner, Killucan, Royal Canal. Ballymoney(wex).

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 01 January 10 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Sorry you told us that already
the glasnevin trust site has a burial that matches her being born 1904.
http://www.glasnevintrust.ie/genealogy/
Buried on her own. But that maybe because Francis is in the Republican plot. ? ?

EDIT
Sorry I think I need a nap. Of course he's on the stone in St. Canice's graveyard

Offline kristof

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 02 January 10 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Ok, one small step forward, Annie's birthday was 16 November and based upon her age in the census (7 years old) that puts her birth year at 1903, so her date of birth is 16 November, 1903.  Does this give us a chance? 

I found her record for Glasnevin, paid for the entry but it didn't really give me much.

As for why she was in Glasnevin and not St Canice's, we've just heard from another Brennan family member that she chose not to be buried there, with Francis and the rest of the Brennans because one of the graveyard gates was closed.  I'm not sure of the significane of this, and which gate was it that was closed, the protestant or catholic gate?
Brennan (Finglas)
O'Shaughnessy (Clare)
Welch (Dublin)
Moore (Portadown)
Williams (Cornwall)
Coster (London)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 02 January 10 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Ok, one small step forward, Annie's birthday was 16 November and based upon her age in the census (7 years old) that puts her birth year at 1903, so her date of birth is 16 November, 1903.  Does this give us a chance?  ...

the only record on the civil index that I see that would fit a November birthday is  Anne T O'Shaughnessy/ Dublin South / Oct - Dec 1900

might be worth ordering that cert to see if the date of birth matches up.

You can search the BMD index on the Familysearch Irish Civil Index

It's possible that her foster mother never knew her exact date of birth and estimated her age, and gave her a birthday..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kristof

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 02 January 10 09:49 GMT (UK) »
That thought had occured to me as well.....lets just not go there........yet; that would be a pretty awful outcome. 

That Annie T O'Shaughnessy may well be worth a look, but if it turns out to be a dead end i think that we'll officially be out of ideas? 
Brennan (Finglas)
O'Shaughnessy (Clare)
Welch (Dublin)
Moore (Portadown)
Williams (Cornwall)
Coster (London)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 02 January 10 09:53 GMT (UK) »
the full index details for that record are :

Name: Anne T O'Shaughnessy
 Registration district: Dublin South
 Record type: Birth
 quarter and year: Oct - Dec 1900
 Volume: 2 / Page: 581

Shane
My Surname Interests