Author Topic: Grimes family, Kilmaine. Advice please  (Read 29756 times)

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grimes family, Kilmaine. Advice please
« on: Tuesday 22 December 09 18:08 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can advise me. I've been researching my great grandmother's siblings. There are two sisters born in 1873 in Coolisduff, Kilmaine. I'd wondered if they were twins but I have traced their birth records and one of them ( Sabina Grimes church record) is dated 27/7/1873. The other (Sarah Grimes civil record) is dated 20/12/1873. The civil record has the letter E. in the notes field. Could this mean Early or premature?

For another sibling, born in 1860, there are no sponsors on the baptism record but it is noted that her grandmother was present at the birth. Does this suggest that she died at birth or was stillborn?

Any thoughts gratefully received.
MEEHAN, HENAGHAN Ballinrobe Co. Mayo; HENEHAN, Derby; GRIMES Coolisduff Co. Mayo; KEEFFE Clyard Co. Mayo; WARD, DESMOND Claudy Co. Derry; FEDIGAN Ardgillan Co. Dublin

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grimes family, Kilmaine. Advice please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Could Sarah and Sabina be the same person? I have seen the two names together with Sibby/Sally interchanged.
I know the church record is first but I also think that civil registration was not as important as baptism (my own father was baptised a week before his official birthdate according to his registration).
As regards 'E'- can't help sorry.
For the 1860 baptism, it would be usual for grandmother to be there and often grandparents were sponsors. The child may have been stillborn/died early and the baptism performed at home by grandmother perhaps. If there is no record for this child as living then that could be the case/
If you have records from the church -are there any death records?

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Heywood
Thanks for your response. Yes, I had wondered if they were the same person but was thrown by the dates being so far apart but yes, civil registration wouldn't have been the most important.

Re: the 1860 birth, I haven't traced any other records for this sibling, so perhaps she did die young.
Thanks again
MEEHAN, HENAGHAN Ballinrobe Co. Mayo; HENEHAN, Derby; GRIMES Coolisduff Co. Mayo; KEEFFE Clyard Co. Mayo; WARD, DESMOND Claudy Co. Derry; FEDIGAN Ardgillan Co. Dublin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Evidence seems to point towards there being 1 daughter born in 1873. Civil registration index has Sarah Grimes birth registered 1874 Ballinrobe registration district (no Sabina/Sabrina Grimes appears in index for any period).
IGI lists a birth for Sarah Grimes 20 Dec.1873 Ballinrobe district daughter of John Grimes and Biddy Duddy. IGI also lists 2 other daughters-
Judy born 28 Aug.1865 Ballinrobe district (page 47 in civil index)
Honor born 20 Oct.1869 Co. Galway
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for checking this out for me. That is most helpful. The date I gave for Judy (1860) was my typing error. She was born, as you say, in 1865.
I am a bit baffled. I found the record for Sabina on IFHF. Could it be a transcription error? Easily done, as I've just proved! :-\

Offline grimeshudds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 December 09 21:41 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can advise me. I've been researching my great grandmother's siblings. There are two sisters born in 1873 in Coolisduff, Kilmaine. I'd wondered if they were twins but I have traced their birth records and one of them ( Sabina Grimes church record) is dated 27/7/1873. The other (Sarah Grimes civil record) is dated 20/12/1873. The civil record has the letter E. in the notes field. Could this mean Early or premature?

For another sibling, born in 1860, there are no sponsors on the baptism record but it is noted that her grandmother was present at the birth. Does this suggest that she died at birth or was stillborn?

Any thoughts gratefully received.
hi im very new to this , but i am interested in trying to piece together my family tree , my name is simon grimes , i live in the uk but have family still living in kilmaine , spent all my school holidays in blessington and i remember the place you mention  coolisduff , my grandad was called harry grimes but i think his real name was actually harry , would be interested if you know anything about him or family , very new to this so any advise would be welcome . thanks

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Grimeshudds.
I think it's very likely that we share great great grandparents. If you go to the 1911 census, there is a Harry Grimes listed in Coolisduff. Is this your grandfather?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Mayo/Kilmaine/Coolisduff/703579/
I'm happy to PM you with more info but I think you need to post at least 3 messages before I can do that (I've just read that on the etiquette page).

Offline grimeshudds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 11:04 GMT (UK) »
hi , yes i was up late last night looking at the irish national archives and found the whole family ,i was amazed i could look at the housing situation and details such as who can read and write etc..and my grandad was harry , are you in the uk or ireland? im hoping to try and piece together the family tree , im going to see my dad (david grimes) today so will ask him for some info , im sure he will be amazed to look at the census of his family , i do remember there being an aunt molly grimes who emigrated to america i think but there is no mention of her on the census , i wonder if her real name was honor ? how far have you got with your investigations ? :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Molly is often a nickname for Mary and there's a Mary Grimes in the census link posted above- could be her?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!