Author Topic: Grimes family, Kilmaine. Advice please  (Read 29772 times)

Offline mayojoe123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grimes family, Kilmaine. Advice please
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 05:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, well Sarah Grimes born Dec 20, 1873 is my great grandmother and I was able to find her birth cert info at the dublin vital statistics office, then when I went to the family heritage center in ballinrobe, they gave me information for Sabina Grimes.  I have not confirmed if Sabina and Sarah are the same but I did confirm that Sabina Grimes and family was not who I was looking for because I do know that my Sarah Grimes had a sister named bridget and Anna and Sabina and Sarah's DOB's are off.  I paid a lot of money for the report and it was wrong meaning probably not my family.

I can provide info that John Grimes and Bridget Duddy had 5 children:  Mary b. 1858, Michael b. 1860, Judy b. 1865, Honor b. 1869 and Sabina b. 1873.

Michael Grimes had 9 children:

Julia b. 1893, John b. 1894, Thomas b. 1896, Mary b. 1899, Michael b. 1900, Honor b. 1904, Patrick b. 1907, Sarah b. 1908 and Harry b. 1911.

If you know anybody with information on my Sarah Grimes b. Dec 20, 1873 and daughter of John Grimes and Biddy Duddy, please let me know.  We are 98% certain she had two sisters named Anna and Bridget but can't find anything else.

Hope this info helped.

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 06:31 BST (UK) »
I am very confused. I have baptism records (found on IFHF) for Mary b.1858, Michael b.1860, Judy b.1865, Honor b.1869, Sarah b.1873 and Sabina b.1873 (who I thought were the same person) all giving their mother as Bridget Duddy and all from Coolisduff (which is definitely the right village). I haven't come across Anna Grimes.
MEEHAN, HENAGHAN Ballinrobe Co. Mayo; HENEHAN, Derby; GRIMES Coolisduff Co. Mayo; KEEFFE Clyard Co. Mayo; WARD, DESMOND Claudy Co. Derry; FEDIGAN Ardgillan Co. Dublin

Offline mayojoe123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 14:12 BST (UK) »
Is it possible there were two John Grimes and Biddy Duddy's? Is Biddy and Bridget the same?

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 17:48 BST (UK) »
Biddy can certainly be shorthand for Bridget. Do you mind me asking what your source is for John and Sarah Grimes as the parents, as opposed to John and Bridget?
MEEHAN, HENAGHAN Ballinrobe Co. Mayo; HENEHAN, Derby; GRIMES Coolisduff Co. Mayo; KEEFFE Clyard Co. Mayo; WARD, DESMOND Claudy Co. Derry; FEDIGAN Ardgillan Co. Dublin

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have been reading this thread and getting confused too  ;)
I doubt that there are two sets of John Grimes and Biddy Duddys. Biddy can be short for Bridget yes.

Mayojoe - are you saying that your Sarah Grimes is not the daughter of John and Bridget?

Besides the Family Search baptisms mentioned earlier in the thread, there are also these:

Biddy Grymes 1866- parents James Grymes and Mary Duddy
Mary Grymes 1868 parents James Grymes adn Mary Duddy
Sarah Grimes 1870 parents James Grimes and Mary Duddy
Thomas Grimes  1873 parents James Grimes and Mary Duddy

It also has civil births for Sarah Grimes, Ballinrobe district for 1870 and 1874 - nothing for Sabina.

heywood

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mayojoe123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 05:05 BST (UK) »
I made a correction to my earlier post, John Grimes and Bridget Duddy are the parents. Not John and Sarah.

Offline mayojoe123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 05:22 BST (UK) »
Please help, what is IFHF?  Where can I find a research source to get birth and baptismal info?  I did my research the hard way by going to the Dublin Registrar Office.

I have a birth certificate for Sarah Grimes born Dec 20, 1873 with parents names John Grimes and Biddy Duddy. (Not Bridget, but I was told Bridget and Biddy are the same)

When I received the birth cert, I went to the heritage office and I was given a report for John Grimes and Bridget Duddy children. The list of children provided is in my previous message.

This report did not include a Sarah Grimes with the above DOB or sisters Anna and Bridget.  I have death certificates for Sarah and Bridget stating their parents names were John Grimes and Bridget Grimes?????

Sabina was born July 27, 1873.  Her and Sarah's DOB's are to close, and the birth cert for Sarah states that it was registered Jan 24, 1874.

Hope this helps.
Thanks

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hello,
IFHF is here: http://mayo.brsgenealogy.com/  (Mayo part) . You have to register for free and searching is free but not really specific and it is expensive to get the information. However, I notice e.g. there is a civil birth for Bridget Grymes 1866 (as above).

I thought, from the info on Family Search, that it looks as though two brothers,James and John may have married two sisters Mary and Biddy.

Have you searched back from what you know for definite - e.g. Sarah's children's birth certificates; then Sarah's marriage certificate to make sure you have the right person.
The marriage certificate would have her father's name so that would help surely.
(Apologies if you have done this already).

heywood

Just thinking, if you got the birth certificate for Sarah first, then went to the heritage office with that specific info , then they would give you the family of John and Biddy. However, if you had gone with just a name- Sarah Grimes, then you may have got the other family. ???
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 21:17 BST (UK) »
The Grimes baptism records are awash with Duddys as sponsors ::) Hard to work out the relationships.
This is all very confusing - think I'll have to sleep on it.
Heywood - thanks for looking things up. You've given me plenty of food for thought  :)