Author Topic: Grimes family, Kilmaine. Advice please  (Read 29687 times)

Offline grimeshudds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grimes family, Kilmaine. Advice please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 11:35 GMT (UK) »
more than likely , i need to find some dob's and basic info out , any advise would be be greatley recieved , only just started looking into my ancestry and becoming quite addicted ;D ;D

Offline grimeshudds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 12:23 GMT (UK) »
my grandma was mary grimes nee devers , from a place called tullyduff in co mayo , not been able to find any info on her she had a brother called john and sister called julia , but thats the only info i have at the moment , any ideas on how i can find anymore out about the other side of my family . thanks

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 14:39 GMT (UK) »
hi , yes i was up late last night looking at the irish national archives and found the whole family ,i was amazed i could look at the housing situation and details such as who can read and write etc..and my grandad was harry , are you in the uk or ireland? im hoping to try and piece together the family tree , im going to see my dad (david grimes) today so will ask him for some info , im sure he will be amazed to look at the census of his family , i do remember there being an aunt molly grimes who emigrated to america i think but there is no mention of her on the census , i wonder if her real name was honor ? how far have you got with your investigations ? :)

Hi again. You'll see that I have PM'd you with more info on the Grimes family but if you want to chase anyone who went to America, the Ellis Island passenger lists are a great source - I've found loads of people there.  :)
http://www.ellisislandrecords.org
MEEHAN, HENAGHAN Ballinrobe Co. Mayo; HENEHAN, Derby; GRIMES Coolisduff Co. Mayo; KEEFFE Clyard Co. Mayo; WARD, DESMOND Claudy Co. Derry; FEDIGAN Ardgillan Co. Dublin

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You might like to have a look at this site - the 1901 census for a few counties - including Mayo - has been put on line(not the original transcripts).Looks like the same family are there living with Michaels mother Bridget who is a widow  aged 80- she is the head of the household. The ages are slightly different but this isn't unusual.

Just select county Mayo then put Grimes in the head of household - you should be able to see quite a few families.
Then select county Mayo but this time put Grimes in 'other enumerators in household' - you should then see other families who have people called Grimes living with them.

http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/1901census/census.shtml

There are a couple of civil registration birth entries for Julia Grimes in Mayo - one in 1889 and one in 1894.  The birth certificate for one of the children (or for Harry)would give their mother's maiden name. Once you have her maiden name it should be possible to apply for a marriage certificate.

http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

I believe that the 1901 census of Ireland is due to be released in the near future.

This next site is free to register but costs five euros to view each entry so you have to make sure you have the correct record as it could be expensive!

http://www.irish-roots.ie/pay-per-view.asp

Good luck

Neptune
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grimeshudds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 December 09 15:35 GMT (UK) »
thanks neptune thats excellent advise , things are getting very interesting and addictve   :D

Offline mayojoe123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 May 10 04:44 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I stumbled across this site today and I am responding to the Sarah Grimes and Sabina Grimes inquiry.  Sarah Grimes - b. Dec 20, 1873 is my great grandmother.  I ran into the same problem with Sarah and Sabina but ended up doing more extensive searching and resolved the confusion.  I don't mind sharing what I came across.  Are you or is anyone searching for Sarah Grimes, b. Dec 20, 1873.  I am having a hard time finding information on her siblings.

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 May 10 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I stumbled across this site today and I am responding to the Sarah Grimes and Sabina Grimes inquiry.  Sarah Grimes - b. Dec 20, 1873 is my great grandmother.  I ran into the same problem with Sarah and Sabina but ended up doing more extensive searching and resolved the confusion.  I don't mind sharing what I came across.  Are you or is anyone searching for Sarah Grimes, b. Dec 20, 1873.  I am having a hard time finding information on her siblings.

Hello - Sarah Grimes's sister Mary is my great grandmother. I will PM you
MEEHAN, HENAGHAN Ballinrobe Co. Mayo; HENEHAN, Derby; GRIMES Coolisduff Co. Mayo; KEEFFE Clyard Co. Mayo; WARD, DESMOND Claudy Co. Derry; FEDIGAN Ardgillan Co. Dublin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 May 10 18:20 BST (UK) »
New members usually need 3 posts to use PM system:
www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 May 10 18:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reminder Aghadowey.
Mayojoe123 - really pleased to hear from you. Other than our great grandmothers, Sarah and Mary, I know of 3 other siblings - Michael, Judy and Honor. I know a little about Michael through his descendant but next to nothing about Judy and Honor, other than their baptism records.