Author Topic: Family Tree Maker - printing large sheets  (Read 10687 times)

Offline GerryS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Tree Maker - printing large sheets
« on: Thursday 24 December 09 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Can anyone help me - I want to print my family tree either descendants or ancestors or the whole thing (!) from Family Tree Maker 2009 just as a rough copy (for checking and seeing what I need to do). But I want to print it all on one sheet - A1 or A0 sheets. I believe I can download as a PDF to a memory stick and take to a print shop and they should be able to print it for minimal cost. The problem is the maximum page size FTM seems to do is A2 - and that results in several A2 pages which I don't want to do.
So the question is can I from FTM 2009 (or copy to some other on-line software) set up to an A1 or A2 sheet?
I don't want to use a professional genealogy printing company as its a work in progress (!!!) and I think there maybe 1 or 2 linkages which are currently incorrect but it is hard to see on the screen.
Thanks for your help
Gerry
Smyth, Markey, Farrell & McNamee Meath
Newton, Beck, Tebbs & Watts Leicestershire
Hindley & Valentine Lancashire
GÜVENÇ, ÜNDEŞ, AKGÜL & TAŞ Istanbul Turkey

Offline brushbroomstick

• RootsChat Senior
  • John William Vickers & Emma Robson my grandparents
    • View Profile
Re: Family Tree Maker - printing large sheets
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 December 09 17:58 GMT (UK) »
This is so frustrating Gerry  I have exactly the same problem . All told I am not very enamoured of Family Tree Maker 2009. There are so many things which are difficult to put right once you have made a mistake.
Irene
Broom(e) - Staffs/Shropshire/ Durham
Burnett - Northumberland & Scottish Borders
Dickson - Scottish Borders/ Northumberland
Henry - Londonderry/ Durham
Morrell - Shropshire
Neale - Norfolk/Northumberland
Powell - Shropshire
Robson - Northumberland/Durham
Stott - Northumberland/Durham
Taylor- Holy Island/Bedlington
Vass- Inverness/ Newcastle/ Durham
Vickers- Cumberland/ Durham

Offline GerryS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 December 09 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I managed to figure it out!!!
If you sent up you chart in the normal way (do not worry about page overlaps). Then go to 'Share' on the top right and that gives you a drop down, choose 'Export to one page PDF' and its done!!! You can then load it to a memory stick or whatever and take for printing!
Hope this is useful
Gerry
Smyth, Markey, Farrell & McNamee Meath
Newton, Beck, Tebbs & Watts Leicestershire
Hindley & Valentine Lancashire
GÜVENÇ, ÜNDEŞ, AKGÜL & TAŞ Istanbul Turkey

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 February 12 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Once again, rootschatterers come to the rescue!
My frustration has ended
cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline Stuart P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 March 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
If you sent up you chart in the normal way (do not worry about page overlaps). Then go to 'Share' on the top right and that gives you a drop down, choose 'Export to one page PDF' and its done!!! You can then load it to a memory stick or whatever and take for printing!
Hope this is useful
Gerry
You may find that if your FTM print is quite large then the 'Export to one page PDF' fails. One solution is to install [for free] CutePDF as a printer on your computer. Then you can 'Print' your tree directly to PDF after choosing one of the custom page sizes in the Printer Properties menu - the largest is 3ft x 8ft.
If your chart is larger than that then I think you would have print directly from the FTM program. So, if was to be printed commercially, you would have to install the printer onto a laptop, prepare your print in FTM then connect your laptop to the printer at the shop. Alternatively install FTM at the printshop and copy your file into the Family Tree Maker directory.
Do not allow a printshop to charge you 'by the foot' - remember, a chart is 99% blank space.
All Cabrach, Fyvie, Methlick in Aberdeenshire
Mee, Merrin, Stevenson in Notts Derby

Offline Ethain

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 April 23 08:30 BST (UK) »
I'm having a similar situation, as well. My tree is really big (almost 70k people), but I want to make a poster only with my son's ancestors, "just" 700 people. The kind of circular tree FTM has is perfect, but it crashes and / or gives an error message if you go over 13 generations, and I have like 30. Charting Companion (a FTM plug-in that is not cheap, around 50 USD), can go so far as 200 generations, but they don't have that kind of circular tree, the one they have modifies font size the further you go, so over 13-14 generations it gets smaller. Other kind of designs would make a veeeeery long poster and that's not what I need. I need a square poster, no matter the size. Any suggestions?

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 October 23 23:07 BST (UK) »
Aaah wanted to know a lot of this.  About printing from family tree maker, so thanks for that.

I do want to know how you save your tree with a new name.  I need to split mine into at least 2 sections but I don't want to delete everyone on it, but have two versions so I can delete the appropriate people on the two versions.

Hope that is understandable.

Nga mihi
Bronwen
Aotearoa
Campbell, McKenzie, Ross, MacKay, Munro, Sutherland all of Ross & Comarty
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs
Erskine, Fletcher of Edinburgh

Offline Stuart P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 October 23 00:13 BST (UK) »
"I need to split mine into at least 2 sections but I don't want to delete everyone on it, but have two versions so I can delete the appropriate people on the two versions."
I think the best way to do this is to disconnect the two spouses forming the roots of your new trees. Then generate an Extended Family Chart for each one of them in turn, ensuring "Include all individuals" is OFF and you have sufficient generations of ancestors and descendants to include everyone. Click on on of the boxes, then Right-click-->Select All.  Then File-->Export-->Selected Individuals. Tidy up by adding the disconnected spouse to each tree.
The Extended Chart with "Include all individuals" ticked is also a good tool to spot errors in your tree -unconnected groups of individuals will show up below the main body.
All Cabrach, Fyvie, Methlick in Aberdeenshire
Mee, Merrin, Stevenson in Notts Derby

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 October 23 00:25 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Stuart.
Campbell, McKenzie, Ross, MacKay, Munro, Sutherland all of Ross & Comarty
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs
Erskine, Fletcher of Edinburgh