Author Topic: EVANS & JONES families: NOT lost cause!! Updated Dec 2005  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
EVANS & JONES families: NOT lost cause!! Updated Dec 2005
« on: Sunday 13 March 05 22:05 GMT (UK) »
HELP PLEASE!! I think I've bitten off more than I can chew!!

Looking for the family of EVANS in the Saron area, Llandysul

David EVANS husband/father, occupation unknown
Rachel wife/ mother
David John son born c 1884
Benjamin son
Daniel son
Sarah Jane dau
Samuel son born c1880 (Royal Welsh fusiliers, killed 1 Sep 1918)

also the JONES family, same area, woollen mill owners

David JONES husband/ father
Elizabeth wife/ mother
Rachel eldest dau born c 1880
William son
James Owen (son inherited the mill)
Evan Rees son
Elizabeth dau
Ellen dau
?Thomas son & about 4 others

I know this is really vague!  Order of children not certain, except Rachel is thought to be the eldest JONES.

David John EVANS and Rachel Jones married and lived in the Pontypridd area, having children Martha and Eleanor.  I may have found a marriage for them in 1903, but far from certain.

Any help or guidance appreciated.  :)

Arranroots
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: EVANS & JONES families: a lost cause??
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 March 05 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Don't give up. It's just harder with names like that  that's all (" that's all" she says lol ;D  I'm really stuck on one of  mine at the moment, have been for ages, it's  very frustrating)
 Anyway, don't give up, I'm not - they are out there somewhere.

Have you got your families in any of the censuses, 1881, 1891 etc ? If so, could you post the details/ref numbers etc, so that  fellow rootschatters can have a look at the details. Someone may spot something which you may be overlooking - you never know, fresh heads and all that. My sister in law spotted  something on one of our censuses that myself and hubby totally overlooked, and she's not even into family tracing.

I'd start with your Jones first, as if they are mill owners they may be the easier ones to trace first.

You didn't say if you had found your Jones in 1881. I can't seem to find them.  I can't find Rachel in 1881  if she is born around 1880. Have you got her birth certificate? Or do you know for sure she was born in 1880, and not sometime  in 1881 months after the census

Do you know the name of the Mill that James Owen took over?

It's just  that the only mill I came across with a David Jones  in  the 1881 census with a quick search ,employing men was in Llanboidy ( which I think is near Llandysul?)
wife in 1881 is an Ann though, and no Rachel.  So if you do  have your Rachel and family in that census, could you post the ref numbers, folio, page number etc so people can take a look at the census.

What I've had to do do with one of my families "common surname" , I could not find my  Grandfathers birth  because he had a common Christian name "David" as well as a common surname. There was no way to tell which one it was by looking at the BMD indexes, millions of them. so instead I got one of sisters birth certs, as she was easy to find as she had a less common name and a middle name too.
I knew I had the right one when the birth cert came as she was born in the house that I already knew all the kids was brought up in.

Maybe trying to find one of the other children's birth cert's  may be easier. For instance your Evans family; if you can't find John's , try Daniel's. A birth cert will besides give you the address of where the child was born, it will give  your David Evans occupation and may help a little trying to find this family in the censuses.

Good luck :)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 March 05 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cell

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply!  I don't think there is anything I didn't post, sadly.  This is my sister-in-laws family and all we have are the MIs for Rachel and David John, giving their ages (Aug 9th 1956 aged 71 for David and Jan 29th 1961 aged 80 for Rachel).

The info I have is that James Owen Jones inherited the mill, but no name for it.  S-i-l thinks both families lived near each other in Saron.  I can't find families with the correct combination of parents and children!!  Not on any censuses: I have access to 1871/81/91.

RG11/5383 ED3 F18 P4 has an Elizabeth JONES with baby daughter Rachel at Cilycwm at her parents' home, LEWIS (don't know if this WAS our Elizabeth's maiden name).

RG11/5382 ED1 F16 P27 has a David and Margt JONES with dau Rachel at LLandingat, he a woollen manufacturer at Glangwerdderig factory (I think it says!)

There is also an EVANS family at Llangeler, Cefn Saron in 1891, forgot to note the ref - going blind by then (!!) They are Samuel and Mary with children Anne, Samuel, David j (right age) Benjamin and Sarah J.  neighbours include a Rachel Jones aged 13, but with wrong parents.

You see my dilemma?  I'm tempted to go back to my source and ask how confident they are about parents' names, but they seemed pretty sure.

Haven't tried births yet, except family search.  So will give that a go for the ones with middle names.  Certainly not giving up!!

I was hoping that Samuel's war record would help, but his medal card could be one of several.  Same old,same old  ;D

Would welcome any further input .

regards

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 March 05 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible that Rachel was David's second wife and not the mother of his children?
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 March 05 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Nigel, certainly possible.  ruling out nothing at this stage!!

I did try to correct a relative once, when she asserted that her mother was born somewhere and I "knew" she wasn't - I was wrong!!  So trying to work with what I have been told, but will ask s-i-l when I see her.  Trouble is, I don't think she knows either!

Your slightly boggled friend  :-\

Arranroots

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 December 05 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Update!

Cell was right - never give up!

After re-examining the info I had and doing quite a bit of delving into the EVANS son Samuel, I FOUND THEM!!  :D

The parents' names I had written down were wrong - a misunderstanding when taking notes.

The EVANS family with parents Samuel and Mary were correct - a bit more info made all the difference.  In this case I found out that son David J later became a shoemaker and son Samuel went to Pontypridd.

I found Samuel in 1901 in Pontypridd - he later died in WWI, then traced him backwards & it all fits!

Celebrate with me now - and if anyone sees any JONESes that I might want...   ;D ;D

Merry Christmas to all our readers

Arranroots  ;)

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: EVANS & JONES families: NOT lost cause!! Updated Dec 2005
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 December 05 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Celebrate with me now

I'm happy to do so!!   8)  8)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 December 05 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Tanja - I am doing cartwheels (metaphorical ones anyway!!)

Shan't stop grinning until 2006!!

;D ;D :D ;D ;D

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 December 05 16:06 GMT (UK) »
All of us with similarly challenging Welsh surnames (Jones in my case) share your  joy  and celebrations!!

Yippee
RuthieB
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk