Author Topic: Millsaps Genealogy  (Read 13051 times)

Offline Patriot

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Millsaps Genealogy
« on: Saturday 26 December 09 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for information on the Millsaps family. The earliest male I can trace directly is William Millsaps born in 1649, 1653, or 1679 Armaugh, Tyrone County,Ireland. married Elizabeth Wood. His son Thomas Millsaps born around 1702 (same location) immigrated to USA around 1735. I'm hoping to trace beyond William. I want to discover where the family was from prior to Ireland. I only have one questionably source stating Thomas came to Charleston,SC around 1735 on the HMS Eagle. If anyone has helpful info. I would be grateful. Thanks!!!
Millsaps or variants, from Armaugh or Tyrone county, Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Millsaps Genealogy
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 December 09 23:12 GMT (UK) »
"Armaugh, Tyrone County, Ireland" perhaps refers to an area near Co. Armagh and Co. Tyrone border which is why I've moved your post to Ireland-General board. The surname Millsopp in fairly common and is perhaps a version of 'Millsaps.'
Unfortunately pre-1800 there are no census or vital records and few church records survive.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dfwdallas

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 02:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm also looking for the below Millsaps. Please email me direct at *

The first 4 Millsaps I'm wanting to know where they are buried at? Any information you have to share would be great. thanks!

William Millsaps 1679-1760
•  Name: *William MILLSAPS
•  Sex: M
•  Birth: 1653 in Tyrone Co., Ireland
•  Death: in Augusta Co., Virginia
Thomas Millsaps 1702-1759
•  Name: *Thomas MILLSAPS
•  Birth: ABT 1679 in Belfast, Antrim Co., Ireland
30 OCT 1759 in Augusta •  Death: Co., Virginia
Robert Millsaps 1737-1760
•  Name: *Robert MILLSAPS
•  Birth: ABT 1719 in Belfast, Antrim Co., Ireland
•  Death: ABT 1793 in Randolph Co., North Carolina
Thomas Millsaps 1752-1837
•  Name: *Thomas MILLSAPS
•  Birth: 23 Dec 1752 or 1762? in Rowan Co., North Carolina
•  Death: 1 APR 1837
Thomas James Millsaps 1782-1870
•  Name: *Thomas James MILLSAPS (IV)
•  Birth: 23 DEC 1782 in Cooke Co., Tennessee
•  Death: 23 AUG 1870 in Georgia
•  Burial: Millsaps Baptist Church Cemetery, Fannin Co., Georgia
Francis Marion Millsaps 1834-1906
•  Name: *Marion MILLSAPS
•  Birth: 14 MAR 1834 in North Carolina
Andrew Jackson "A.J." Millsaps 1856-1934
•  Name: *Andrew J. MILLSAPS
•  Birth: ABT 1856 in Georgia
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 August 13 18:28 BST (UK) »
taking a different tack to Agaghdowey which I have learnt to be extra cautious about, i went where my geography isn’t that good , Tartaraghan civil parish Co Armagh adjoins Co Tyrone on the south west edge of Lough Neagh . Cloncarrish is an alternative spelling for Cloncarris, and Breagh are both mentioned in my first source, they are townlands in the civil parish of Tartaraghan
Repository :   Public Record Office for Northern Ireland
PRONI Reference :   ARM/5/2/5
Level :   Item
Access :   Open
Title :   Return of the Registered Freeholders of
Dates :   1813-1820
Description :   Return of the Registered Freeholders of £20 and 40 shillings. Barony of Oreilland West.
I found 3 Millsop listed
26_34_Millsop_Isaac_Cloncarris_Edward Obre__1814___?
26_35_Millsop_Francis_Cloncarris_Edward Obre__1814___?
27_46_Millsop_Thomas_Breagh_Charles Brownlow__1817___?

For about 1864, there are two indexs for Griffiths valuation
{1} www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/armagh/tartaraghan.htm
Milsop           Abraham             Cloncarrish              Tartaraghan     Armagh
Milsop           Esau                Clonmacash               Tartaraghan     Armagh
Milsop           Jacob               Cloncarrish              Tartaraghan     Armagh
Milsop           James               Derrykeevan              Tartaraghan     Armagh
Milsop           John                Cloncore                 Tartaraghan     Armagh
Milsop           Joseph              Breagh                   Tartaraghan     Armagh
Milsop           William             Teagy                    Tartaraghan     Armagh
{2} www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index. Covering all Ireland
Milsop    Abraham    Armagh    Tartaraghan                   
Milsop    Esau        Armagh    Tartaraghan                   
Milsop    Francis    Armagh    Drumcree                   
Milsop    Jacob        Armagh    Tartaraghan                   
Milsop    James    Armagh    Tartaraghan                   
Milsop    John        Armagh    Tartaraghan                   
Milsop    Joseph    Armagh    Tartaraghan                   
Milsop    Joseph    Armagh    Tartaraghan                   
Milsop    Thomas    Armagh    Drumcree                   
Milsop    William    Armagh    Tartaraghan   
then for other spelling
Millsop    Moses    Armagh    Newry{civil parish is south Armagh}     Millsop    John    Tyrone    Clonfeacle [civil parish part of Dungannon union}

Tartaraghan  civil parish sits on part of Tartaraghan Road, the later is on Google its about 3 miles plus north west of Portadown.  The Tyrone valuation took place earlier about 1859.                    

More research is needed, but unlike modern people, the people then didn’t move about greatly. If I was wanting any clue to where the family came from in Ireland, I would be picking Tartaraghan    civil parish, and then finding any surviving church records.

As regards where did they come from I read thru http://www.houseofnames.com/millsopps-family-crest?a=54323-224. Which suggests middle England around Bucks etc  and also a possible occupational name Milksop, someone who knows about milk and whey.  Could they have been brought to Ireland by the local landlord, eg the Brownlows or the Obre, etc.
Surprisingly the name is not in the The Oxford Names Companion.
Finally did I miss something obvious about the size of the population with the variant name spellings in Ireland, I came to the conclusion it was relatively rare.
Anyway good luck on your search.      
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 August 13 15:48 BST (UK) »
I am intrigued by your last post regarding a Thomas Milsop in Breagh.

My gr great grandfather William Davis was living in Warrenpoint Co Down and in 1833 emigrated from County Down to New South Wales. In 1822 he had  written to his daughter Sarah (whose mother Isabelle Milsop had died) and this letter was sent to her in care of Mr Milsop's,  Breagh, near Portadown, Armagh.

Where the Freeholders are listed - what does the name "Charles Brownlow 1817" mean?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 August 13 16:22 BST (UK) »
Now I have answered my own question in finding the Freeholder's records on PRONI but I do have another - where it says "Lives and Other Tenure" What does that mean?

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 August 13 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
   I believe that "Lives and Other Tenure" refers to the length of a lease. It was common in Ireland to lease land for the length of  lives of three specified people. Other Tenure could be 21 Years which was common or even year to year which was also common.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 August 13 18:08 BST (UK) »
The original query by ‘Patriot” included Tyrone.   Because Tartaraghan parish lies next to Tyrone border, but exactly whereabouts ?  In the 18th century detailed knowledge  of  even townland boundaries,  was not always based on maps etc held by others.  Many landlords had simple maps to show their property.  So I suggest lets get a more detailed  idea of the geography.  To do the job thoroughly one should include studying any OS memoirs or note books. Many are available in Libraries   What I suggest is sufficient research to be able to say The homestead in Tyrone was close enough to Tartaraghan parish to be almost indistinguishable unless you were the landlord or clergy etc .  If you want  to go down that road the a starter is  www.ballynagarrick.net/ulsterancestors/Parishes%20of%20County%20Tyrone.htm where again someone is generously offering you a freebee.  From that map it looks like the adjoining Tyrone parishes to the border opposite Tartaraghan include 3 Arboe, 7 Ballyclog, and 16 Clonoe and possibly Killyman.  One needs to plot the townlands of Breagh and Concarris within the parish and plot all the townlands on their Tyrone side if they have a boundary with Tyrone.

Help needed from all Tyrone folk.  Are their any records of these townlands having  the same records as Tartaraghan? Are their other records?  I am running out of personal time, and want to pass the hat onwards to you all. So good luck perhaps Patriot, dave62448, & dfwdallas are cousins, JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 August 13 22:09 BST (UK) »
That's wonderful resource - that link. Many thanks! The townlands and parishes are often a great mystery and your suggestion about adjoining areas is very wise and helpful I am sure.