Author Topic: Sinnott family in Wexford  (Read 30510 times)

Offline sinnottpat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sinnott family in Wexford
« on: Sunday 27 December 09 22:51 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on the Sinnott family in the county and city of Wexford. My GGrandfather came from there, immigrating to Baltimore Md in the US in 1854. This Sinnott family was active in the tanning and clothing business and operated a business in St John's lane

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sinnott family in Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 January 10 19:49 GMT (UK) »
The  Leitrim-Roscommon genealogy website has a lot of Sinnott in it's 1901 census section.

Offline sinnottpat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information. Sinnott is a fairly common name in southeastern Ireland. I should have been more specific in my request that the Sinnott family I am most interested in is that of Alexander Sinnott who had 4 children including my Great Grandfather Patrick Michael. I know that three of the four went to the US. One, Nicholas may have remained in Ireland. Alexander's father was named Patrick and maried Alice Hore. They had 18 children thus adding a lot to the Sinnott population in Wexford.
Do you have an interest in this family line or simply being helpful? Please let me know and thank you again. What I am looking for is someone knowledgable on this family in Ireland who could help me learn more.

Offline T. Michael Sommers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 March 10 23:58 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on the Sinnott family in the county and city of Wexford. My GGrandfather came from there, immigrating to Baltimore Md in the US in 1854. This Sinnott family was active in the tanning and clothing business and operated a business in St John's lane

My gg-grandfather John Sommers's mother was Catherine Sinnott and his wife was Margaret Sinnott.  (See http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=tms2&id=I474)  His son James, my great-grandfather, ended up in Baltimore as well.

I have very little information on my Sinnotts other than that they were from the RC parish of Rathangan, in Duncormick.  Where are yours from?
Sommers, Ray, Glendenning, Ruppert, Codd, Carson, Benson, Schmidt, Sinnott, Walsh, Brown, Clazey, Carroll, Johnson, Buckheit, Heiser; Hitzelberger, Pamphilion

Offline sinnottpat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 March 10 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I have a great deal of general information on the Sinnott family in Ireland which I would be glad to share. My GGGranfather, Patrick M Sinnott was from St. John's Gate just outside of Wexford. His extended family were tradesmen in the leather and fabric industries. I was able to obtain some birth marriage death data from the Wexford church records and the civil records but have not been able to establish any contact with living family members in Ireland. Patrick immigrated to Baltimore and established a successful men's habidashery business. He had married a woman named Mary Bolger in Ireland but lost her to ships disease after arrival. He remarried a woman named Catherine Henry at the Basilica in Baltimore in January of 1858 and they had a number of children only two of which survived to be adults. Are you by any chance in Maryland and does any of this look like it fits your Sinnott?
Thank you for the response and let me know if I can help your research.

Offline T. Michael Sommers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 March 10 20:32 GMT (UK) »
I have a great deal of general information on the Sinnott family in Ireland which I would be glad to share. My GGGranfather, Patrick M Sinnott was from St. John's Gate just outside of Wexford. His extended family were tradesmen in the leather and fabric industries. I was able to obtain some birth marriage death data from the Wexford church records and the civil records but have not been able to establish any contact with living family members in Ireland. Patrick immigrated to Baltimore and established a successful men's habidashery business. He had married a woman named Mary Bolger in Ireland but lost her to ships disease after arrival. He remarried a woman named Catherine Henry at the Basilica in Baltimore in January of 1858 and they had a number of children only two of which survived to be adults.

Two of the three Sinnotts I know of in my tree is a Thomas Synnott who married Ellen [--?--].  Their daughter Margaret was baptized in Rathangan in 1829.  Margaret married John Sommers.  John's mother was a Catherine Sinnott, and all I know about her is her name.

In 1880 there was an Ellen Sinnott in Westminster, with a son Thomas.  I have wondered if she was the Ellen above.

Are you by any chance in Maryland and does any of this look like it fits your Sinnott?

I'm not in Maryland anymore, which makes research difficult.  I only get there about once a year.

I'm not sure if your Sinnotts and mine are connected.  It was a common-enough name in the area.  I despair of ever figuring it all  out.
Sommers, Ray, Glendenning, Ruppert, Codd, Carson, Benson, Schmidt, Sinnott, Walsh, Brown, Clazey, Carroll, Johnson, Buckheit, Heiser; Hitzelberger, Pamphilion

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Slater's Directory Enniscorthy 1894;
Commericail;
Sinnott Ann; spirit dealer, Shannn quay
Sinnott Arthur; miller, Saville mill
Sinnott John; nail maker, Market st
Sinnott Walter; grocer, 7, Castle hill.

Enniscorthy Roots 1901;
Castle st; (20)
Sinnott Mary, Margaret, Peter, Annie. (grocer)

Duffery gate (13)
Sinnott Mary.

Edwards lane (7)
Synnott Henry & Bridget; Joseph, Henry, Mary, Anne.
(9)
Synnott John & Susan;
(11)
Synnott  Mary, Mary, James, Margaret.

Eniscorthy rural (33)
Sinnott Michael, Patrick.

Irish st (74)
Synnott John. (nailor)

Motabeg or Salville;
Sinnott Arthur, Kate, Anne. (corn miller)

New st (7)
Sinnott John & Kate;
(25)
Synnott Aidan & Johanna;

Ross rd (13)
Sinnott Kate, Michael, Matthew, John, Thomas. (dressmaker)
(39)
Sinnott William, Mary, William,. (ex army)
(54)
Synnott James & Martha; John. (shoemaker)

Shannon hill (37)
Sinnott Mary, Margaret.

Templeshannon (46)
Sinnott Peter & Catherine; (merchant)

The Quay (4)
Sinnott Catherine.

63 pubs in Enniscorthy in 1918;
Sinnott Mary; castle hill.

Thom's 1938 Enniscorthy;
Sinnott J.A. Rafter st (Solicitor)

Offline shellback

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 March 10 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Sean, All the Sinnott's you mentioned above appear to be in Enniscorthy .Whereas John's Gate St. is in Wexford Town, about 14 miles from 'Scorthy .
 The only Sinnott in Wexford Town in the 1800s who was in the fabric business
 (that I can find ) was Charlotte Sinnott ,Draper of Main St. Wexford. There was another Maria Sinnott who was a hat seller from Cornmarket which is a continuation of John's Gate St. Most  other Sinnotts  in the town were either ironmongers or land owners.

Offline sinnottpat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 17:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for the responses/information. My Sinnott branch descends from a Patrick Sinnott who married  Alice Hore & began to have children in 1782. They had 17 children between 1782 and 1805. Many of the names listed in the 1894 directory appear to be family names but of later generations. Slater's National Comm'l Directory of 1846 list several family names in the grocery and leather setter business while Griffith's Valuation identifies a Sinnott compound in St. Johns that appears to include a number of related families.  One of the 17 children, Alexander bn. 1799 married Sally(or Sarah) Currin in March of 1824 and they had 4 children: Patrick bn 1825, John bn 1828, Nicholas bn 1830 and Sarah bn 1833. Patrick went to Baltimore in the USA in 1854 as did John. Patrick married Mary Bolger in February 1854 and they had one son John T or P. John and his wife arrived in Baltimore after Patrick and had both contracted ships disease which the subsequently gave to Mary Bolger who also died. Patrick remarried in Baltimore to Catherine Henry and they had 4 or 5 children.
I don't know if any of this helps but I hope someone in Wexford might read it and recognise the history.