Author Topic: Searching for Charles Devine  (Read 2751 times)

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for Charles Devine
« on: Monday 28 December 09 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

My ancestor Elizabeth TOLAN/TOLLAN  has marriage banns registered in 1853 to a Charles DEVINE in  St John's Port-Glasgow. However no official marriage documents appear to have been submitted.

Two children were born of this marriage Catherine in 1853 and Antony in 1867. Antony died aged 2 months . Both  children are registered with Charles DEVINE as father

Elizabeth appears in the 1861census  as Elizabeth TOLLAN back living with her birth family in Port-Glasgow and with her  daughter Catherine and is designated as widow.

I can find no record of Charles DEVINE'S death. Have tried Scotland's people under various permutations on DEVINE/DIVINE/D*V*N for a death in the period 1857-61. Charles gives his occupation as riveter on his son's death cert.
The only near fit is for a Charles DEVINE aged 43 died Greenock in 1861 but the occupation is flesher and the marital status is single.

His  death is not listed on the Greenock Library site as far as I can tell.

Any ideas as to where to look for the elusive Charles DEVINE would be most welcome. Of course he may have just "shot through"!

Thanks  Orkrad

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Charles Devine
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 15:44 BST (UK) »
hi check out the marriage for Charles Devine and Eliabeth Torrance port glasgow 31st dec 1852 maybe errors

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 22:59 BST (UK) »
 Thank you for replying after such a long time----I had put this on the back burner as nothing ever came of my enquiry. Yes I think the information you have posted is correct. Elizabeth TOLIN probably sounded like TORRENCE to the person registering the banns.  I know quite a bit about Elizabeth but have not been able to find the death of Charles DEVINE .  He is a mystery man.  Regards Orkrad

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 08:11 BST (UK) »
charles was a shoemaker from what i can see, and i know there was at least 2 other devines in greenock around that time that where also shoemakers james and michael devine i came across these
researching my own devines and found the name devine varying a lot as in our case at one point it changed to diver, the devines that where shoemakers appear to have come from the parish of cumber, in fermanagh, ireland,

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
I checked Post Office Directories, Greenock 
https://www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office/

Found a Charles Devine, Boot & Shoemaker, 38 Vennel in the '53/54, '55/56 and '57/58 editions. Not listed '58/59.

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 11:18 BST (UK) »
i viewed those
1 possibilty is immigration 1863 a Charles age 18 assisted passage to australia,
charles appears to have been born 1844 so that fits the bill

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 19:04 BST (UK) »
co incidence or what my william devine lived in 44 vennel

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 June 18 00:39 BST (UK) »
 Regretfully I don't think the Charles who immigrated to Australia in 1863  aged 18  was our relative. The Charles Devine I am seeking married in Port-Glasgow in 1852 and I imagine he was of "full age " at that time. His wife Elizabeth reverted to her maiden name by the 1861 census of Port-Glasgow is back with the rest of her birth  family  and is a widow. She  becomes Elizabeth TOLLAN/TOLAN/TOLLAND  at various times in other censuses and also sometimes Elizabeth DEVINE.

Regards Orkrad