Author Topic: James VIVIAN - convict to SA?  (Read 12246 times)

Offline Tahneesmum26

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James VIVIAN - convict to SA?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 28 May 18 09:11 BST (UK) »
Consumption got so many of my Ancestors. ( Now known as TB)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 28 May 18 09:21 BST (UK) »

Use Ancestry...James VIVIAN.....1846 Darlinghurst  Gaol....."Claudine".............

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 28 May 18 13:39 BST (UK) »
I found this record of a convict Peter WIFFIN aka James VIVIAN.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/228063420
https://convictrecords.com.au/convicts/wiffin/peter/19800
Appears to be the chap who died at Mt Pleasant SA on 8 Sep 1890. Reg. Tal 188/267

Essie

Offline Tahneesmum26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 06:44 BST (UK) »
Re. William Hicks
"Cow Stealing".. I know William and James KNEW each other. They were both on board the Claudine and sent to the same Convict intake building. After much looking into this.. William Hicks had the property next to James Vivian. Now what happens within the hulks of convict ships is very much like what happens within prisons today.. AND You find and stay with the people you know AFTER you have been discharged. So the Vivian's were definitely covering for William Hicks. as it was what mates did. William didnt keep out of trouble though..

Also we on our side of the Vivian tree have a Richard Vivian married to Mary Hicks.. Williams Hicks cousin. ( how ever these two went to Moonta to copper mine and not to the farming district of the Torrens River area)

Offline Tahneesmum26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 06:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Essie.. however that is a different person as James Vivian arrived on The Claudine.

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 07:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rose for the extra details about the Hicks neighbour.

Obviously others have difficulty tracing the other convict aka VIVIAN!

Essie

Offline Tahneesmum26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 07:59 BST (UK) »
Yes Essie,

It gets confusing around the 1840's - 1860's as so many FREE settlers were also embarking on their life adventures from Cornwall and all over England  to settle in the Booming Copper mining locations of Moonta, Burra and Broken Hill ( where my grandfather yet another Vivian was born). (at this stage any B,D,M were registered in Adelaide from Broken Hill as it was closer than Sydney. As alot of B,D,M on towns like Bordertown, S.A were registered in Melbourne and Not Adelaide.) This also makes tracing records interesting.

I have however discovered our Convict James William Vivian was born in ABBOTSBURY, DORSET.

all the Puzzle Pieces are slowly coming together. Im just a little disappointed that his Convict Record of Discipline no longer exists . . It would have been interesting to see what happened to him within that 10 year span of time. But he worked for very influential upstanding members of the community as he was getting his Ticket Of Leave so that was good to find.

Offline Cynthia3

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 08:48 BST (UK) »
I have been interested in following the conversation here on Rootschat [albeit a couple of years ago now] about James Peter Vivian and James William Vivian being one and the same person.
I am a direct descendant from JPV through Jane Rachel Vivian.
I am curious how/why JWP became JPV?
I have also done research on the other convict Peter Wiffen alias Vivian who came out as a convict on the "Bengal Merchant". He came out because he stole some silk from his employer. His occupation was a calico printer on his records.
If you have a copy of the SA marriage certificate of JPV, you will see that JPV said his occupation was a calico printer. Have you ever considered that he now maybe the James Peter Vivian from Mt Pleasant rather than the James William Vivian a labourer from NSW? Love to have your thoughts?

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Cynthia,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

Sadly this members email notification has bounced back to us saying that the email is no longer in use,  it looks like they have updated their email but have not let us know the new details.

This member was logged in 2019 and we have experienced a lot of old members logging in so hopefully they will pick up on your message when they log in next.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk