Author Topic: Looking for information on James Whitecross born 1841 in Aberdeenshire.  (Read 17392 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on James Whitecross born 1841 in Aberdeenshire.
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 31 December 09 19:47 GMT (UK) »
The printed 'link' to freepages is very long and clearly has some details missing - 'freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/......../whitecross' - it's a members personal web-page.

However, the ...... bit is clearly crucial as the link won't come up without it.   But, as I suggested, if you do a search on 'Google' and just enter in the name Alexander Lindsay Whitecross it brings up a list of entries and the second item on my screen is headed by this name and if you then click on the name it takes you to the web page.   Simple.

Happy New Year.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 31 December 09 20:05 GMT (UK) »
you are a star XXX

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 31 December 09 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Gadget

Don't know if you noticed on IGI but to get entries on overall family you have to enter in 3 different surnames (would have thought as they sound the same the connection would have happened automatically as they usually do) i.e. Whitecross, Whytecross and Whytcross.

Annette

Hi Annette

I used SP and soundex in the end and it did deliver but my my computer hung!  (was down to my last credit! )

I just couldn't open more than one window and then everything kept hanging.

I'm going to go off to spend lotsa ££££s before I go stark staring bonkers  ::)

Happy New Year to everyone involved with this thread.

We got there. Would love to pick up the Irish side but   :-\

Gadget  :-* :-* :-*

PS - gratuation - will send you Helen's death cert and James's first marriage cert when I download
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 31 December 09 21:31 GMT (UK) »
hi

yes i will of course when i  can finally discover how you do that! sorry i'm not very pc.

This has all been very exciting and has put back my  faith in  human kindess which to be honest with was  in decline a little. back on track no and ready to help others this site shoud  be a tonic in human well being !!XXX

Offline JENNYBROWN4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 02 August 13 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm a newcomer to this site.   But I have "WHITECROSS" on my husband's tree and also on mine!!   My husbands Gt. Gt. Grandmother was ELIZABETH WHITECROSS, born 1830 in a tiny fishing village south of Cruden Bay and north of Aberdeen, Scotland, called WHINNEYFOLD - pronounced locally as FINNYFALD.   It is perched above the North Sea of the edge of the cliffs, with a winding path leading down to the small beach and shore line.   Long ago the inhabitants, mostly fishermen, were involved in smuggling under the noses of the excise men.   There's also a story of the rescue of a number of sailors from a sinking ship off the coast, and one of the local cemeteries has gravestones to the drowned shipmates.

My WHITECROSS ancestor was ANN, born about 1815 in Methlick, Aberdeenshire, but I suspect she also is part of the Winneyfold clan.   ANN is my Gt. Gt. Grandmother and she married my Gt. Gt. Grandfather, ROBERT DUGUID in 1832.

I notice your query was 2009, so no doubt you have your tree "finished" by now.  But I have a number of the Whitecross family in my tree and I know that there are still Whitecrosses living in the area.

Regards from JENNY in Aberdeen

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 14 April 17 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi I think there was a other son born to Jean Lindsey my Francis Whitecross brother but I can't make the connection

G