Author Topic: James John Johnston - b Unst 1881 - COMPLETE - Thanks!  (Read 14353 times)

Offline Vicki.J.P.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James John Johnston - b Unst 1881
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 January 10 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Stuart,
It was certainly surprising to receive your response to my post.  We had no idea what had happened to your Great-Grandfather after he left Shetland.
You may well be astounded to learn just how many relatives you have in the Antipodes!
I will do my best to put together as much documentation as I can, which should clarify just where the Aussie connection sits in the family tree.
I started researching the family tree in about 1982 (pre-internet, when I am certain my letters were delivered by 'snail-post'), you have developed an interest at a far more beneficial time.
Am attaching a family chart for Thomas & Eliza - with as much information as I currently hold - excluding of course your branch.
 Have a wonderful New Year and hope to continue our chat.

Regards,  Vicki

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline stuartroxy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me at work! But not any more :0(
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 January 10 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Monica,

Thanks.  Vicki will, I'm sure, pick up my PM in due course.

Vicki,

In the meantime, thanks for the family chart.  It had a few details that I was unaware of.  I don't know if you have seen it but the website below has loads of detail about our family:

http://bayanne.info/Shetland/getperson.php?personID=I147687&tree=bayanne_1

The additional information that you don't have for your chart is that James John JOHNSTON married Margaret SHIRRAN (or RETTIE) on 9 Oct 1908 in Edinburgh.  I don't yet know when James died - there are a couple to investigate.  Margaret, who was born in Aberdeen on 23 Jan 1883, died in Edinburgh on 28 Oct 1922.  My grandmother, Ellen (or Helen) Margaret Johnston was one of 3 children.

All the best,

stuartroxy
Roxburgh/Rock/O'Rouk - Edinburgh/Glasgow/Australia
Slora/Slorach - Edinburgh/Aberdeen/Moray
Roberts/Robert - Edinburgh/Torphichen
Cochrane - Edinburgh
Johnston - Shetland/Australia
Davison - Sunderland
Curtis - Sunderland/Norfolk
Shirran - Aberdeenshire/Edinburgh
Rettie - Aberdeenshire
Leng - Sunderland
Lay - Sunderland
Rogers/Rodgers - Sunderland

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline stuartroxy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me at work! But not any more :0(
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Vicki and I are corresponding via e-mail, so this thread has probably run its course.

Thanks for your help.

stuartroxy
Roxburgh/Rock/O'Rouk - Edinburgh/Glasgow/Australia
Slora/Slorach - Edinburgh/Aberdeen/Moray
Roberts/Robert - Edinburgh/Torphichen
Cochrane - Edinburgh
Johnston - Shetland/Australia
Davison - Sunderland
Curtis - Sunderland/Norfolk
Shirran - Aberdeenshire/Edinburgh
Rettie - Aberdeenshire
Leng - Sunderland