Author Topic: mckenzie/mackenzie nairn inverness  (Read 9009 times)

Offline Leonie_O

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
mckenzie/mackenzie nairn inverness
« on: Wednesday 30 December 09 05:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am trying to locate relatives of William McKenzie born in Fearn, Ross and Cromarty in 1865.  He married Williamina McKenzie in 1898 in Inverness.  By the 1901 census the couple were living in Nairn with their children Donald and Mary Ann, both of whom were born in Nairn.  Another son, John was born in Nairn in 1902.
Both William and Williamina died in Columba Rd, Inverness.  John was the informant when his father died and an H.McKenzie, son, the informant when Williamina died.  (William died in 1950, Williamina in 1953).
Unfortuately I don't know who H is or where he was born.  (I have tried scotlandspeople to no avail).

William was a coachman.

I would appreciate any help with this family so if anyone is connected to them, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks
Leonie

Offline jessica patricia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mckenzie/mackenzie nairn inverness
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 12 23:09 GMT (UK) »
I believe this is my family.  All names and details are correct but not sure about a 'John' still alive in 1950.  the 'H' in 1953 is Hugh.  I am the daughter of one of the later children (12 in total).  You seem to be interested in many other family lines, so I won't mind if you do not reply.  Heather.

Offline Leonie_O

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 March 12 02:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather

The reason I am interested in this family is that William Mackenzie/McKenzie was the son of Donald Mackenzie and Ann CUMMING.  Does this match your information?

Ann Cumming had a brother Walter who immigrated to Australia with his wife and baby daughter in 1856, and I am a direct descendant of this couple (and the baby daughter in fact!)

William Mackenzie was the informant when his father Donald died in 1902.  I only had the children Donald and Margaret (Mary Ann?) from the 1901 census, but haven't found them yet on the 1911 census.

I would love to know more of William and his wife Williamina.  I have their death certificates but don't have any other children other than John and now Hugh-thank you.

You and I are both descended from Thomas Cumming and Jennet Skinner if our info matches.

Thanks for replying.

Regards

Leonie

Offline jessica patricia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Leonie I am delighted with the info you have so kindly given me and it certainly looks like we share great great grandparents.

Please pardon my apparent rudeness but I'm a bit up to my eyes with a forthcoming long weekend away - 5 couples have been doing this March break for 14 years now and its my turn for the Saturday feast.  I promise to respond on my return.

Also I've got to admit to being a total newbie at family geneology so bear with me.  I obviously knew all my Mum's family really well when growing up in Inverness.  She was the youngest of 12 with sadly 3 dying in infancy.  Being the youngest born following the Great War, it's almost like a generation skipped as the spread of the children was from 1849 thru to 1919.  Although a large family, a few were unmarried and then some childless so there are few surviving cousins and all the 'children' have now died.

I never knew my Grandfather, he died the year I was born and sadly I don't remember mina as she was known, as I was only 2 when she died.

I will return but how much info do you want.  I do have the old folks golden wedding picture taken in 1948 and if I'm helped with scanning etc. you are welcome.  Heather.

Offline Leonie_O

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather

This is very exciting to finally catch up with another descendant of Thomas Cumming and Jennet Skinner!!
I have now found the Mackenzie family on the 1911 census.  At that time they had 6 children (all living), but still no sign of Hugh.

After you have recovered from your long weekend, if you email me on * I will give you more information.  Perhaps I can email you copies of the death and marriage certificates if you need them.

Are you in Inverness?  I stayed there in 2000 in a B&B and in 2008 in the youth hostel so I could visit the archives.  I just love Scotland!  My husband lets me travel on my own so I am very lucky-he's more into golf and fishing than family history so I leave him at home!

Have a great weekend with your friends and I'm looking forward to hearing from you again!

Regards

Your distant cousin Leonie

PS I live on the far north coast of NSW.
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 April 13 13:10 BST (UK) »
Also I've got to admit to being a total newbie at family geneology so bear with me.  I obviously knew all my Mum's family really well when growing up in Inverness.  She was the youngest of 12 with sadly 3 dying in infancy.  Being the youngest born following the Great War, it's almost like a generation skipped as the spread of the children was from 1849 thru to 1919. 

A span of children from the same parents 1849-1919 =70 years  ???
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley