Author Topic: William Waugh .  (Read 15856 times)

Offline Kaggs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Waugh .
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 25 October 14 18:18 BST (UK) »
I have a connection with the Waugh family and Shearer on another side of the family. I have a bit on the Shearer Family as that was my Mother in-laws Family. So I am interested in William. Maxwell Waugh married Isabella Lees and they helped to bring up Isabella Agnes Jane Lees she was illegitimate born at Sandbed. She, took the name Waugh. Isabella Waugh was sister to Jane, Isabella, mother. When Maxwell died Isabella his wife was with Isabella her niece. My Isabella married William Mckie and Isabella Waugh was living with them in Kirkbean on a farm Their first child was called Maxwell.
Can you tell me if Maxwell and Isabell had any family of their own?

Kind Regard
Karen McKie

Offline JOA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 30 October 14 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen,
As far as I can tell Maxwell Waugh and wife Isabella did not have any children of their own. I don't see any in the register of births. The marriage registration of Maxwell Waugh shows his wife Isabella to have the maiden name of Kirkpatrick. Her father was Robert Kirkpatrick, blacksmith, and mother was Agnes Morrin. They were both deceased at the time of the marriage in 1865.
The birth registration for Isabella Agnes Jane Lees in 1874 names her mother as Jane Allan Lees. NO father is named at that time.  By 1900 at the time of her marriage to WIlliam McKie she was using the surname Waugh.
There is a marriage record in 1881 for a  Jane Allan age 24 marrying a James Coupland . Jane' s mother is named as AGnes Kirkpatrick (then married to David Blaycock). Jane Allan's reputed father was John Lees. Jane Allan was living at Sandbed of Dalswinton. This was the home of Isabella Waugh, wife of Maxwell.
If you look back at the census, Agnes Kirkpatrick was the sister of Isabella (Kirkpatrick) Waugh.
SO it looks like Isabella Agnes Jane Lees is the great niece   of Isabella Kirkpatrick Waugh.

What is strange though is that Jane Allan was using the surname ALLAN. I can't figure that one out. There was another Kirkpatrick sister Jane. She married Andrew Allan in 1855 and they moved to Victoria Australia in Dec 1856.
Regards
Joanna Waugh

Offline sarnia23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 30 October 14 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi just read you post about the william waugh. i was intrested in the shearer side as i am also related to the waugh shearer from dumfries my waugh shearer connections is william waugh had a daughter mary who married william shearer and they had 4 children elizabeth william jessie and maggie . maggie was my great grandmother who married thomas kirkaldie.sorry i cant remember dates will need to get my paperwork out maybe you could tell me your connections to the shearers
many thanks
sarnia23

Offline JOA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 31 October 14 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Mary's father was William Waugh (1817-1899). His parents were William Waugh (1786-1862)  and Mary Cherry.  This William was the older brother of my gg grandfather John Waugh(b. 1789-d. 1857 in Canada)  SO she was my John Waugh's great niece. Mary and my grandfather would be 2nd cousins.  I am 4th cousin to your Mary Waugh SHearer Kirkaldie, I think.

Mary Waugh Shearer had a brother William Waugh b 1844 in Kirkmahoe. I haven't been able to find any record of him past 1861 census.  DO you know what happened to him?
Joanna