Author Topic: Help please.  (Read 6765 times)

Offline renibacterium

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help please.
« on: Thursday 31 December 09 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Hester Eastwood or Eastman (1743 -1808) married Thomas Fenner (1739-1817) in the Ticehurst / Burwash / Mayfield area of Sussex. I would like to confirm whether she was an Eastwood or  an Eastman and who her parents / ancestors were ? Is she related to Ann Monk (b1719 ) ? Ann Monk married William Eastwood (b1719) and they had up to 15 or 16 children at least. But wherever I look, no mention of a Hester. If Hester was their child this would give my wife a line back to Margaret Boleyn(c1490) sister to Thomas Boleyn (1477-1538). Any help / clarification appreciated.Thanks.

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 January 10 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

From the Sussex Marriage Index
Mayfield, East Sussex, 7 Apr 1763
Thomas FENNER
Esther EASTWOOD, (Esther) d/o John E.

SMI does not usually list any parents, but has in this case. She might have been under 21

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 January 10 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Possible parents for Esther

Withyham, East Sussex, 21 May 1739
John EASTWOOD
Elizabeth PET, of Mayfield (lic)

Mayfield, East Sussex, 26 Dec 1726
John EASTWOOD
Katherine PEARL, (B)

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline renibacterium

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 January 10 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Ian C - Thank you very much for the info

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 January 10 12:26 GMT (UK) »
If Hester was their child this would give my wife a line back to Margaret Boleyn(c1490) sister to Thomas Boleyn (1477-1538).

I had a close look at this yesterday as my direct line ancestor is William Eastwood who married Ann Monk, I know some others on this board also have the same ancestors. I notice on Ancestry that there is one person at least who has linked this line to the Boleyns. The lynchpin of the connection is Mary French born in 1651 who married Ann Monks grandfather Stephen Monk.
There are however two Mary French born in 1651
1) Mary French bap 16 Feb 1651 All Saints Heathfield Parents: Richard French (& possibly Barbara Humfry)
2) Mary French bap 3 May 1651 Parish Church, Chiddingly Parents: Steven French Esq & Susan Foster  Daughter of Sir Robert Foster Chief Justice of England.

The second Mary French is the one who links to the Boleyns, however there is a burial record for her in Chiddingly as follows:
Burial: 13 Mar 1696 Mary French Daughter of Susan French Deceased (She was buried in 1695)

It seems likely then that Stephen Monk married the first Mary French, both were from Heathfield, they married in Heathfield and were buried in Heathfield (Stephen in 1721 & Mary in 1726).

I followed the first Mary French line back to see if it connected further back but I couldn't see any.

I would appreciate it if someone could check my reasoning, I know Chris has some Heathfield records that might help here.

Regards Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline renibacterium

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 January 10 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies & info

swebby  -   I think you are right. I have done some research myself, inluding Mandy Willard's site and the Mary French that Stephen Monk married is not the one that connects back to the Boleyn family. So the Eastwoods do not have a connection back to the Boleyn's at least not through Ann Monk's ancestor.

My wife was always told by her grandmother that her family were related to the Boleyn's. I have been looking for 3 years and have not found the connection yet. In the 1960's, a now deceased relative of my wife, claimed he had found the connection. But the documents proving this  appear to  be lost. The only clue I have is that the connection was through  one of my wife's great grandparents Ruth Leaney (b1860, Ticehurst who married Arthur Frederick Newman (b1860, Shere, Surrey). The additional surnames we have so far from their ancestors are  Nash, Dawes, Elliot, Sheet, Freeland, Goodchild, Geare, Glydd, Ashdown, Cross, Fenner, Bones, Eastwood, Baldwin, Akehurst, Rodgers, Bristow, Callow, Downwood, & Stone.

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 January 10 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Four of the surnames you mention appear in the Visitation of Sussex 1662, they are Geare, Baldwyn, Callow and Newman.

Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 January 10 19:42 GMT (UK) »

some others on this board also have the same ancestors

:-\ I do...well I would if I could decide who this lady's parents are..

I have Susanna Eastwood married in Mayfield 1771 to Thomas Nailard SMI also records 'father John Eastwood' giving her a birth year c1750/55
On balance of probability I have chosen John Eastwood and Elizabeth Pet as parents...but where do I go next, any ideas, I don't seem to be able to verify anything with baptism records.

Does anyone know the extent of missing/unreadable register years from Mayfield?

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 January 10 22:04 GMT (UK) »
The SFHG database has missing registers between 1701 & 1759 unfortunately.
In 1760 there is an Elizabeth Eastwood born to John & Margaret. Cannot see a marriage on SMI for them though.
I think Kerryb had some stuff on Mayfield, could be wrong though.