Author Topic: Help please.  (Read 6762 times)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: Help please.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 January 10 22:36 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Sean, I am a member of SFHG and have seen the gap in their records.

I've also looked for that marriage and wondered could Margaret be the Mary Simonds m to John ESTWOOD 1759 in Mayfield :-\

I'll see if I can catch kerryb about somewhere  :)
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline renibacterium

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 21:07 GMT (UK) »
According to Janet Sutton (GR) her family tree has a Richard Eastwood (1706 -1800) marrying twice, first to Katherine Pearl (c1700) with issue of two daughters, Sarah (b1728) & Katherine (b1732)  & secondly, to Elizabeth Pet (b1710) with no issue. This Richard Eastwood's parents are recorded as John Eastwood (1678-1743) & Ann Piper (1676-1742), with four other siblings Sarah(b1709), Jane (b1710), Thomas (1712-1782) & William (b1714).

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 January 10 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys

I don't know how I missed this thread but somehow I did  ::) ;D

I have Mayfield prs 1571 - 1812 on cd.  Not sure I should advertise that fact in view of copyright but there you go  ::)

Just going to drag out my Eastwood notes and will see if anything I can add

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 January 10 15:00 GMT (UK) »
If Hester was their child this would give my wife a line back to Margaret Boleyn(c1490) sister to Thomas Boleyn (1477-1538).

I had a close look at this yesterday as my direct line ancestor is William Eastwood who married Ann Monk, I know some others on this board also have the same ancestors. I notice on Ancestry that there is one person at least who has linked this line to the Boleyns. The lynchpin of the connection is Mary French born in 1651 who married Ann Monks grandfather Stephen Monk.
There are however two Mary French born in 1651
1) Mary French bap 16 Feb 1651 All Saints Heathfield Parents: Richard French (& possibly Barbara Humfry)
2) Mary French bap 3 May 1651 Parish Church, Chiddingly Parents: Steven French Esq & Susan Foster  Daughter of Sir Robert Foster Chief Justice of England.

The second Mary French is the one who links to the Boleyns, however there is a burial record for her in Chiddingly as follows:
Burial: 13 Mar 1696 Mary French Daughter of Susan French Deceased (She was buried in 1695)

It seems likely then that Stephen Monk married the first Mary French, both were from Heathfield, they married in Heathfield and were buried in Heathfield (Stephen in 1721 & Mary in 1726).

I followed the first Mary French line back to see if it connected further back but I couldn't see any.

I would appreciate it if someone could check my reasoning, I know Chris has some Heathfield records that might help here.

Regards Sean
Hi swebby

I have Mary French who married Stephen Monk as baptised 1 Feb 1651 at Warbleton to Robert French and Ann Leverie from herstmonceux.  Maybe I need to revisit

Kerry

Added - Having re checked the SFHG website I think you are right, it should be Mary daughter of Richard from Heathfield for all the reasons you give.  I would just like to check the Warbleton burials as I can't find a marriage for that Mary though.

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 January 10 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Ok Mayfield records

Esther Eastwood baptised 4 September 1743, daughter of John and Elizabeth Estwood = Eastwood

Kerry

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 January 10 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Other children baptised at Mayfield to John and Elizabeth Estwood = Eastwood -BTs

1739 9 Dec Sarah
1741 28 June Elizabeth
1742 18 July Mary
1744 1 Jan Anne
1746 27 April Susanna - Suey I think this interests you
1752 - 6 Jan John
1754 3 March Martha
1755 22 Feb Thomas
1757 29 april Thomas
1758 3 December Hannah

Interestingly I found one baptism to John and Katherine
27 Jan Anne

At least I presume this is 1739, but the way the CD is laid out is comes directly under the baptism of 9 Dec Sarah of John and Elizabeth under 1739 baptisms.

A burial for Katherine in 1739 and a marriage for John and Elizabeth 1739 would help

Kerry

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 January 10 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Marriage for John and Elizabeth Pet at Withyham on
21 May 1739
she has note - of Mayfield (lic)

Kerry

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 January 10 15:58 GMT (UK) »
The SFHG database has missing registers between 1701 & 1759 unfortunately.
In 1760 there is an Elizabeth Eastwood born to John & Margaret. Cannot see a marriage on SMI for them though.
I think Kerryb had some stuff on Mayfield, could be wrong though.
John Estwood married Mary Simonds 13 November 1759 at Mayfield.

Kerry

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 January 10 16:33 GMT (UK) »
According to my notes this John was the son of James and Elizabeth son of John and ann Piper but I have not checked this against the records as yet. 

Kerry