Author Topic: Church Register Records Lookup  (Read 4471 times)

Offline wrudge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Church Register Records Lookup
« on: Friday 01 January 10 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Using a lot of information from this and other websites, I have been able to build a family tree back to the mid 1800s. I was hoping I could get some help from anyone living in the area with parish records for the following individuals. I am trying to find the family of my 3x Great Grandfather John Rudge. I do know his fathers name was Samuel from his GRO record. I found the following information on familysearch.org (Batch # C010243): possible brother/sisters and John Rudge himself:

Edward Rudge
Male
Christening:     
13 JUN 1813      All Saints, West Bromwich, Stafford, England
Father: Samuel Rudge
Mother: Mary

Thomas Rudge
Male
Christening:     
10 SEP 1815      All Saints, West Bromwich, Stafford, England

Mary Rudge
Female
Christening:     
16 NOV 1817      All Saints, West Bromwich, Stafford, England

Samuel Rudge
Male
Christening:     
27 AUG 1820      All Saints, West Bromwich, Stafford, England
Father: Samuel

Joseph RUDGE
Male
Christening:     
18 SEP 1825      All Saints, West Bromwich, Stafford, England

Ann Rudge
Female
Christening:     
24 AUG 1828      All Saints, West Bromwich, Stafford, England

JOHN RUDGE
Male
Christening:     
27 FEB 1831      All Saints, West Bromwich, Stafford, England

Hannah Rudge
Female
Christening:     
21 JUL 1833      All Saints, West Bromwich, Stafford, England
Possible Marriage:
- International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Marriage: 22 OCT 1856 Tring, Hertford, England
Spouse: John Gill
Possible GRO for Marriage:
Dec 1856 District: Berkhampstead Vol: 3a Page: 454

I did find this family in the 1851 England census but how do I know if it is my 3x Great Grandfathers family or the wrong John Rudge:
HO107/2084/576 p 41
I do see some similarities between occupations (Boatsman)

I also found this (using batch #M041791)
Samuel Rudge
Marries Mary Lighham (07 NOV 1809      Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England) - could these be John Rudge's parents?

I'd really like to break the barrier into the 1700's and continue my research, but don't want to just make assumptions and go down the wrong paths.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Offline Kiboko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Church Register Records Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 November 14 00:15 GMT (UK) »
I am (one of) the great great great grandchildren of Edward Rudge (b 1813) and Mary Holloway.  I've read your posts and your data pretty much corresponds with mine.  I'd be happy to compare notes if you would like.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 November 14 13:26 GMT (UK) »
If you check  www.freereg.org.uk. You will find a lot of west brom all saints rudge  marriages on there. The site has updated this week.

Offline sdweatherman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 02:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks weste for the update! wrudge and I are cousins and we have been working on our line for several years. It has taken us from London to Tring, to Ashby-de-la-Zouch and back to Birmingham, then over to Smethwick/Bromwich and possible back to Sedgley. These darn Rudge  boatsman working the canals moved around quite a bit. Its been challenging.
Scott.
Rudge

Offline Kiboko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 16:31 GMT (UK) »
My branch ended up in Paddington.  I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but I have Samuel Rudge (Edward's son) and his wife Phoebe Walters' marriage certificate and Phoebe's death certificate.  I'm waiting for some more certificates.  I just wondered, is asthma common in your line?  In our branch, there are only one or two who don't have asthma.  Phoebe died at 45 from bronchial pneumonia.  I asked my GP and she suspected that the damp conditions she lived in (I don't think she was from a barge family, she married in) made her asthma worse and left her prone to chest infections.  There were no antibiotics in 1887, so it proved fatal.  I'm wondering if the asthma came from her DNA.  Thanks.

Offline sdweatherman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Kiboko,
As far as I know, asthma has not been an issue in our line. So you have Edward Rudge, c.1813 at All Saints, West Bromwich in your line? Edwards little brother John is where my line comes in. We just might be distantly related. Tricky step is that there are two Edward Rudges christened in 1813 at All Saints. One c. 13 June and one c. 15 August. My Edward Rudge c. 13 June, has parents Samuel Rudge, c. 5 Jun 1789 and Mary Lighham. The transcription for Mary's last name is probably not right - and it is hard to make out the original. I have copies of the Baptism register entries for Edward, Thomas, Mary, Samuel, Joseph, Ann, John, and Hannah from West Bromwich parish. I also have a copy of the St. Philip's church register entry for Samuel Rudge and Mary's marriage. Do you have Samuel and Mary as parents for your Edward? Do you have William Rudge and Catherine Paine as Edwards grandparents? That's as far back as I have been able to go - I have not been able to make a reliable connection to William's parents.

If you have made it to Paddingham (Pattingham?) then you are doing good. They say that most surnames come from our ancestors vocations or locations. The hamlet of Rudge is just a mile southwest of Pattingham - and I am guessing that is where our surname originated. There are a lot of very early Rudges in the Pattingham records. I am also guessing the Evesham branch of Rudges came from this area too. Their tree goes back to John De Rugge (John of Rudge) who lived in Seysdon (Seisdon) during Edward II reign - 1307 to 1327. Seisdon is just 2 miles southeast of the hamlet of Rudge.

EDIT: Just realized that you meant that you are now in Paddington - oops. I was hoping you had traced your tree back to Pattingham - that is where a lot of early Rudges show up in the older records.

Scott.
Rudge

Offline sdweatherman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 December 14 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Kiboko,
I was just surfing familysearch.org, and if you search the IGI database, there are a couple of user submissions for Edward Rudge and Mary Holloway's marriage. According to the user submission, it looks like Edward was born around 1807, and Mary was born around 1811. It also says Edward was born in Cradley near Halesowen. The best match I have come across for Edward (c. 13 Jun 1813 at All Saints, West Bromwich) is a marriage to a Harriet Griffin/Griffith (c. 9 Mar 1817 at All Saints, West Bromwich) on 22 Jun 1834 at Aston Juxta, BHam. Happy hunting!
Scott.
Rudge

Offline DD70Dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if anyone is still following this thread or will be notified of my comment, but I have an interesting theory about Mary 'Lighham' - who I think is my GGGG Grandmother (I'm descended from Samuel and Mary's daughter Mary)

Offline sdweatherman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hey Dave,
I would love to hear your theory on Mary's last name. I have not been able to follow her tree back at all because of her unique name. I have a copy of the original doc with her name on it - and it is not very clear. Your thoughts on what her true last name is would be welcome.
Thanks,
Scott Rudge
South Dakota - USA.
Rudge