Author Topic: District in Worcestershire  (Read 1670 times)

Offline daphnewenn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
District in Worcestershire
« on: Saturday 02 January 10 10:13 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace FRANCIS HUNT who was born around 1781 in Worcestershire.  On Ancestry 1851 census his place of birth has been transcribed as NARON.  On Find My Past however, it is transcribed as NACTON. I can find no trace of either of these names.  Can somebody help me with the correct one?

I should be most grateful.

Daphne Wenn

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: District in Worcestershire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 January 10 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daphne

Looks like Norton - but that doesn't help much because it is a popular name!  There are two in Worcestershire (not counting King's Norton) and one in Gloucestershire, at least!

•Norton by Lenchwick
•Norton by Kempsey

Try Genuki+ placename

Have you looked on the IGI?

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 January 10 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Daphne

Baptism Francis Hunt 17 Sept.1780 at Naunton Beauchamp Worcs -parents James + Alice
also
John Hunt 30 June 1782 (same parents)

Jackie

Happy New Year.
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 January 10 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Daphne

Possible marriage...
Francis Hunt + Ann Blackburn 19th Nov.1803 Studley Warks.

Studley about 5 miles from Arrow.

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daphnewenn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 January 10 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to both Arronroots and Jackie for your help.  I looked on Genuki but found dozens of Nortons but no Nacton or Naron's in Worcs.  Yes, I've looked on I.G.I. and found both entries that you suggested, Jackie. I think that this is most probably the right Francis, and, just as a thought, as he was born in Worcs and the census was taken in Warks,  I wondered if the enumerator didn't understand either his accent or the way that his birthplace is spelt.  (For example - in Norfolk where I live we have a place called Costessey - pronounced Cossey, and another called Wymondham - pronounced Windam, so it's possible that this could be his local pronunciation of a place.  Just a thought!!!)

Anyway, thanks again both of you and a Happy New Year.

Daphne :

Offline Maxwell-W

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 May 16 13:41 BST (UK) »
Dear Daphne -I have only just found this site and Google brought me to this page: I am trying to find info on the Hunts (they were the 2nd main landowners in Naunton Beauchamp, Worcs-I'm sure where you were searching for, the name historically  also could even have been 'Norton'..) ..my grandfather George Whitaker was born George Hunt (1889, I think) and inherited Caldewell estate at Drakes Broughton right near there -he was a cousin of Whitaker, and had to change his name to Whitaker (actually Whitaker-Wilson ,but he lopped the -Wilson off ,according to my late Ma).
What I'd like to find out, though, is, from your Q, who his parents/ancestors were, so wonder if you are also related to Francis Hunt, to whom I and my father's family are - and who the in-between generations were , i.e. between Francis Hunt and my great-grandfather, who was, I am pretty sure named  Charles Hunt (we have a painting of him commissioned by my grandfather in the family, done by a portraitist who has a number of works in the NPG in London).
I've only recently received some things from my cousin's wife/widow Ivona Whitaker which have led to me trying to trace that line back, so I'd be delighted if you have any info that would help! Kind rgds, Max Whitaker.