Author Topic: Buckinghamshire Lunatic Asylum  (Read 25607 times)

Offline katesonny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Buckinghamshire Lunatic Asylum
« on: Saturday 02 January 10 17:02 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was an "attendant on the insane" at the Buckinghamshire County Pauper Lunatic Asylum in Stone, Buckinghamshire.  How can I find out details of the hospital and details of the staff employed there?

Offline Ermintrude46

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Capture of the Maria Riggersbergen, Oct 18th 1806
    • View Profile
Re: Buckinghamshire Lunatic Asylum
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 January 10 21:17 GMT (UK) »
According to this website some records are at Buckinghamshire County Record Office http://studymore.org.uk/4_13_ta.htm

Buckinghamshire County Asylum opened 17.1.1853
Stone, Near Aylesbury (HP17 8PP)
Simon Cornwall: Built: 1850-1853. Architect: TH Wyatt and David Brandon
Corridor form - Close to Conolly's ideal
"Dr John Millar, Superintendant of the County Asylum close to Stone Vicarage" was a photographic pioneer and friend of Joseph Bancroft Reade (1801-1870) Appears to have been superintendent in 1855. A John Milar was proprietor at Bethnal Green by 1859. A John Millar wrote a book about insanity in 1861
1853 to (about) 1930 registers of admissions and discharges in Buckinghamshire Records, County Hall.
1919 Buckinghamshire Mental Hospital
1948 St John's Hospital
Associated Hospitals: Manor House Hospital - Joint Management Committee from 1954
550 beds in 1979
Buckinghamshire County Pauper Lunatic Asylum - St. John's by John Lewis Crammer. Publisher: London: Gaskell, 1990 195 pages: illustrated and indexed ISBN/ISSN: 0902241346
closed
Simon Cornwall: Demolished. Site developed for housing. Only Chapel and some staff houses remain.

Ermy
Baldwin / Dixey / Rumble (Berkshire)
Burnsides / Corps / Harker / HINDLE / Longstaff / Martin / Page (Co. Durham)
Chalker / Glyde / Morris / Pitman / Stroud (Dorset)
BARTON / Heasman / Wheatley (East Sussex)
Baby / Silver / Silvester (Hampshire)
Cheeseman / JONES / Wood (Kent)
Chalker (Somerset)
Curtis / Davis / Stevens (Wiltshire)
Arcules / Carter / HINTON (Worcestershire)
~.~. main lines in CAPS .~.~

Offline arabrab

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 January 10 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Welcome to RootsChat

Buckinghamshire Library service has copies of the book Buckinghamshire County Pauper Lunatic  Asylum  by John Crammer.

Your local library should be able to get you a copy through the inter-county loan service.

Barbara
Bucks- Young,Neale,Wright,Ludgate,Todd,Turney,Crouch,Roberts,Hoare
Oxon Whichello,Roberts,Slatter,Kimber
Kent-Fox,Medhurst,Pearson,Wimble,French,Tilby,Bassage
Herts-Pellant,Martin,Figg,Turney
London, Scotland, Ireland - McWatt
Suffolk-Fox,Sage,Scarfe,Palmer
Berks - Kimber,Dorman

Offline katesonny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 January 10 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your help.  Next time I am in England I will arrange a visit to Buckinghamshire and in the meantime ask my local library if they can get a copy of the suggested book.

Offline Ruth Dewland

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 March 11 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Found your message, and thought i might jot you a note or two.
My Father (Rev'd Colin Shaw) used to be the Hospital chaplain to St. John's Hospital, Stone, Stoke Mandeville hospital and Tindall hospital, Aylesbury, Bucks from 1975 - 1990. He saw the closure of it happen which was devastating to all those who worked there and to the patients. As a little girl my siblings (2) and i used to go with my Mum to church, and we would sit with the patients while Dad preached to everyone. The best times were at harvest festivals when patients would get up and sit on the altar munching the fruit. We used to live at 'Holmesdale' which was a massive house between 'The Glebe' and the now new housing put up after our house was knocked down. We went to all the hospital parties, there, and at Manor house hospital (Aylesbury). I felt very privileged to have been a part of things not many people of my age would have experienced. Since then my Father passed away in 2009, but have very fond memories of those times. We knew alot of people there. Perhaps you could give me some more details of your relative that worked there. Take care, Ruth Dewland

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 March 11 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

My Father (Rev'd Colin Shaw) used to be the Hospital chaplain to St. John's Hospital, Stone, Stoke Mandeville hospital and Tindall hospital, Aylesbury, Bucks from 1975 - 1990. He saw the closure of it happen which was devastating to all those who worked there and to the patients. As a little girl my siblings (2) and i used to go with my Mum to church, and we would sit with the patients while Dad preached to everyone. The best times were at harvest festivals when patients would get up and sit on the altar munching the fruit. We used to live at 'Holmesdale' which was a massive house between 'The Glebe' and the now new housing put up after our house was knocked down. We went to all the hospital parties, there, and at Manor house hospital (Aylesbury). I felt very privileged to have been a part of things not many people of my age would have experienced. Since then my Father passed away in 2009, but have very fond memories of those times. We knew alot of people there. Perhaps you could give me some more details of your relative that worked there. Take care, Ruth Dewland

My Uncle Jack Ives was at St.Johns Hospital, Stone,  for quite a bit of his adult life.  He finished his days there, I'm led to believe.

This is the only picture there is of him.  He was a very quiet man, I have been told.

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline matgeorges

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 November 11 15:29 GMT (UK) »
My husband has an ancestor who was a nurse at the Stone Asylum. I have a photo of the male nurses which I obtained from the Stone Society. There are photographs of the road the asylum is in on the Buckinghamshire Record Office site. The hospital was knocked down and it is now houses.

Offline shadowacf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 October 12 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

hi ruth do u remember remember the fire officer bill allen and his daughter shirra she was a nurse at st johns

Offline roachy42

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 August 13 11:22 BST (UK) »
Bucksboy, I reckon Jack Ives used to dig our garden in Darvill Road Stone around 1960.  My Dad worked at the hospital.  Jack was indeed a quiet, gentle man.  He once asked my Mum for a glass of water 'without any of that cold stuff in it'.  Ice!