Author Topic: Jones's of Newmarket + descendants  (Read 13510 times)

Offline CMooreddrall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jones's of Newmarket + descendants
« Reply #27 on: Friday 08 December 17 20:52 GMT (UK) »
I assume you have the marriages of the two daughters of John Evan and Martha,Susie and Catherine(Katie)
(Hattie is not a misread of Katie elsewhere is it?)

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3630482/3630486/41/

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4246823/4246831/37/

Regards
Roger

So interesting you should mention the Hattie vs Katie thing- I thought that could have been a possible issue too- but I was informed it was a separate person.

And with regards to the marriages- I in fact did know about them- but the interesting thing was I had been told that Katie married a John Thomas- not William- as per their granddaughter. I will run it by her with the link and ask what she says.

Addm: She agreed it was probably William Thomas- as he died well before she was born as did her grandmother- she did not know much about them.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 08 December 17 22:36 GMT (UK) »
One thing we haven't found is any evidence that Edith was related!

Regards
Roger

Offline CMooreddrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 08 December 17 22:40 GMT (UK) »
You have found the same records as me:-
1851  HO107/2509/226/5    Cwm Ucha
1861 Not found.Some 1861 pieces are missing,But I didn't think this area was involved.
1871  RG10/5681/26/9         Pentre,Garthiaen  original gives correct birthplaces for Thomas/Margaret
1881  RG11/5538/63/13

While the 1871 seems anomalous,in 1881 at Pentre Bach,next to Garrthiaen is the family of Hugh and Catherine Jones.This Catherine looks like the sister of John(and Robert) with a possible marriage in 1873.The couple are still there in 1911.Presumably she is a candidate for Auntie Catherine of Landrillo,1921.

I have George Borrow's "Wild Wales",but I can't guarantee finding the name of the horse thief!

Regards
Roger

I have a feeling you are right. And based on a picture I have for a cousin Susie I suspect it is the Susannah from the earlier census based on how old they look in those photos.

Offline CMooreddrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 08 December 17 22:55 GMT (UK) »
One thing we haven't found is any evidence that Edith was related!

Regards
Roger

My only thought would be it was perhaps a daughter of one of Johns siblings...You may very well be right she is not related- but I had suspected she was one of johns siblings children-though neither has William or Ellin(en) as a name- sure it could be a cousin too, unfortunately following them is not so easy with their Jones name i think it might go back a bit further. So I figure you might be right regarding the relation, Its very unfortunate that is the case. But I think we can at least put a face to a name and location- despite there being no relation.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 08 December 17 23:10 GMT (UK) »
On the positive side if Thomas and Margaret prove to  be the correct parents for John Evan,the 1871 census gives Margaret's father to go back another generation on that side.There is a newspaper snoppet that gives John Roberts dying aged 83 in 1878 at "Pentre (late Cwm Ucha")

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3288878/3288881/21/

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 08 December 17 23:47 GMT (UK) »
......and in 1841 the Roberts family are,indeed,at Cwm Ucha.

HO107/1428/19/5/5

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 10 December 17 10:54 GMT (UK) »
In case you have not looked,Tan y Fynwent (from" o dan y mynwent" or "below the cemetery") in Newmarket(aka Trelawnyd) was probably where Llan Cottages (Bwthyn y Llan) are on this map

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/308500/379500/12/100954

and is referred to here:-

http://www.gwaenysgorandtrelawnyd.org.uk/trelawnyd-old-trelawnyd-homes/

Bwthyn y Llan (postcode LL18 6EF) can be seen on Google Earth.

I will see if there is any remaining sign of Cynwyd House in Brighton Road.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 10 December 17 19:12 GMT (UK) »
I think I can identify Robert,who is granted probate in Thomas Jones Will,and therefore brother to John Evan.
Appropriately he appears to be Robert Evan Jones of Blaen y Cwm,Llandrillo,postcode LL21 0TE,seen in the censuses,with by 1911 a very large family(though nothing obviously connected to Edith).I think he marries a Jane Davies in 1878.

1891  RG12/4636/24/5
1901  RG13/5247/35/6

Regads
Roger

Offline CMooreddrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 10 December 17 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I think I can identify Robert,who is granted probate in Thomas Jones Will,and therefore brother to John Evan.
Appropriately he appears to be Robert Evan Jones of Blaen y Cwm,Llandrillo,postcode LL21 0TE,seen in the censuses,with by 1911 a very large family(though nothing obviously connected to Edith).I think he marries a Jane Davies in 1878.

1891  RG12/4636/24/5
1901  RG13/5247/35/6

Regads
Roger

Its really hard to say- so that census in 1871 showed John Evan to have been born in 1858 while robert said 1855. Obviously the rest of the census' show john as born 1855 which made me suspect their ages were switched- I did find another Robert Jones who married an Ann Davies 1901  RG13/5247/27/7 at Ty nant and he was born about 1858. Yours makes more sense though- I'm wondering if they estimated Johns birth year wrong and he just looked younger! It would seem an awful big coincidence that they both shared a middle name with those general birth dates. That makes me think you are right...