Author Topic: Jones's of Newmarket + descendants  (Read 13572 times)

Offline CMooreddrall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jones's of Newmarket + descendants
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 10 December 17 20:41 GMT (UK) »
In case you have not looked,Tan y Fynwent (from" o dan y mynwent" or "below the cemetery") in Newmarket(aka Trelawnyd) was probably where Llan Cottages (Bwthyn y Llan) are on this map

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/308500/379500/12/100954

and is referred to here:-

http://www.gwaenysgorandtrelawnyd.org.uk/trelawnyd-old-trelawnyd-homes/

Bwthyn y Llan (postcode LL18 6EF) can be seen on Google Earth.

I will see if there is any remaining sign of Cynwyd House in Brighton Road.

Regards
Roger

I had contacted the Rhyl historical society about Cynwyd house but they didn't seem to know it- however its certainly possible its either gone or they just dont know.

With regards to the map- I had not seen it- but I think that's because I was looking for it when it was called Newmarket! I'm checking it out right now.

Chris

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 10 December 17 22:13 GMT (UK) »
It's proving extremely frustrating trying to identify Cynwyd House positively.In censuses it is listed next to either Bodawel (?) or Beaconsfield House,Cobden Terrace and 1 Thorpe Street.In lists of visitors in The Rhyl Journal of the period it is listed next to Beaconsfield House,which is given as 8 Cobden Terrace.If you look at the attached mao,there are only 8 properties in Cobden Terrace(which is in Brighton Road),with No.8 being on the corner of Bath Street.I'll carry on trying to identify it.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/301500/381500/13/101329

Regards
Roger

Offline CMooreddrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 10 December 17 22:35 GMT (UK) »
It's proving extremely frustrating trying to identify Cynwyd House positively.In censuses it is listed next to either Bodawel (?) or Beaconsfield House,Cobden Terrace and 1 Thorpe Street.In lists of visitors in The Rhyl Journal of the period it is listed next to Beaconsfield House,which is given as 8 Cobden Terrace.If you look at the attached mao,there are only 8 properties in Cobden Terrace(which is in Brighton Road),with No.8 being on the corner of Bath Street.I'll carry on trying to identify it.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/301500/381500/13/101329

Regards
Roger

Ive been having the same trouble with it. I have a feeling that its name was changed to Cynwyd only when they were there as that's the place john was born...

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 10 December 17 22:49 GMT (UK) »
No doubt it was renamed when the family took up residence.I'll see if I can find it and/or neighbouring properties in the 1939 register.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Couldn't find anything in the 1939 register.Still frustrated trying to find positive location for Cynwyd House.I have found references to two old planning applications for Beaconsfield House,which is consistently listed next to Cynwyd House.Interestingly,one has the address as Brighton Road and the other "extension of yard and back wall" is listed as Bath Street.This is possibly consistent with Besaconsfield House being synonymous with 8 Cobden Terrace on the corner of Brighton Road and Bath Street.I wonder if the building was jointly occupied at some stage? .The yellow brick building currently on that corner looks as if it is the original.
If you look at the previous map I referenced you can see Preswylfa,where Edith was in service,just above the other end of Bath Street.

Regards
Roger

Offline CMooreddrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Couldn't find anything in the 1939 register.Still frustrated trying to find positive location for Cynwyd House.I have found references to two old planning applications for Beaconsfield House,which is consistently listed next to Cynwyd House.Interestingly,one has the address as Brighton Road and the other "extension of yard and back wall" is listed as Bath Street.This is possibly consistent with Besaconsfield House being synonymous with 8 Cobden Terrace on the corner of Brighton Road and Bath Street.I wonder if the building was jointly occupied at some stage? .The yellow brick building currently on that corner looks as if it is the original.
If you look at the previous map I referenced you can see Preswylfa,where Edith was in service,just above the other end of Bath Street.

Regards
Roger

Trying to figure this bit out has been frustrating me as well- even if it changed names finding a house next to an area we have information for is strange. It is labeled as a separate dwelling on the census. Have you had any luck with finding Bodawen? Its labeled on the 1901 Census- and seems to go 7 Cobden Terrace-> Bodawen->Cynwyd->8 Cobden Terrace...

Offline CMooreddrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 21:55 GMT (UK) »
On the positive side if Thomas and Margaret prove to  be the correct parents for John Evan,the 1871 census gives Margaret's father to go back another generation on that side.There is a newspaper snoppet that gives John Roberts dying aged 83 in 1878 at "Pentre (late Cwm Ucha")

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3288878/3288881/21/

Regards
Roger

So I think you might be onto something with Thomas and Margaret. I found this Postcard for Xmas in 1910 to my Great grandmother from her grandmother- Nain T Jones.

Of course the address is from Rhyl too which frustrated me because I thought i had found her death in 1888 in Corwen. Different years and location for when i thought she died. But as grandmother names are limited- It can only be this one...

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure whether the date is 1910 or 1916,but no matter.I'm not sure what it means yet,but the address of Elwy Villa is occupied in 1901 by Edward and Charlotte Roberts and family.The address for this family in 1911 is the same as that where Edith's brother Edward was a boarder in 1901.Perhaps some family connection may yet emerge!

Regards
Roger

Offline CMooreddrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 23:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure whether the date is 1910 or 1916,but no matter.I'm not sure what it means yet,but the address of Elwy Villa is occupied in 1901 by Edward and Charlotte Roberts and family.The address for this family in 1911 is the same as that where Edith's brother Edward was a boarder in 1901.Perhaps some family connection may yet emerge!

Regards
Roger

Its definitely 1910 as she was living in another state in 1916 and this was where she had been living. I wonder if Margaret Roberts had another sibling besides catherine...who knows- maybe its coincidence Ediths brother stayed there.. .but does raise questions