Author Topic: Jones's of Newmarket + descendants  (Read 13507 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jones's of Newmarket + descendants
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm.....
Clearly need to trace Jane Jones,resident 1901(and subsequent) at Elwy Villa with Conway family,in previous censuses.Given born Llangerniew(Llangernyw) I think.

1901   RG13/5236/55/26

I think this is her in 1881

RG11/5536/44/12

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 14 December 17 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure about relationships of interest yet,but here is some data relating to the Jane Jones seen at Elwy Villa in the last two censuses where  she is given as born 1822,Llangerniew,Denbighshire,and assumed author of the postcard.Her daughter Margaret given born 1844,Bagillt,Flintshire.

In 1901 she is effectively given as mother of Margaret Conway,therefore nee Jones.

Marriage of John Conway to Margaret Jones at Prescot,Lancashire in 1876.Both fathers given as Robert.

1851 census HO107/2500/588/17-Robert and Jane Jones(!822,Llangerniew) with David as in last censuses and Margaret,1844.

Robert Conway(1820,Llanasa) married Anne Jones(1824,probably Eglwysbach,Denbigghshire) at Llanasa in 1844

1851 census  HO107/2500/52/15
1861 census  RG09/4266/60/30

Regards
Roger

Offline CMooreddrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 15 December 17 09:17 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure about relationships of interest yet,but here is some data relating to the Jane Jones seen at Elwy Villa in the last two censuses where  she is given as born 1822,Llangerniew,Denbighshire,and assumed author of the postcard.Her daughter Margaret given born 1844,Bagillt,Flintshire.

In 1901 she is effectively given as mother of Margaret Conway,therefore nee Jones.

Marriage of John Conway to Nargaret Jones at Prescot,Lancashire in 1876.Both fathers given as Robert.

1851 census HO107/2500/588/17-Robert and Jane Jones(!822,Llangerniew) with David as in last censuses and Margaret,1844.

Robert Conway(1820,Llanasa) married Anne Jones(1824,probably Eglwysbach,Denbigghshire) at Llanasa in 1844

1851 census  HO107/2500/52/15
1861 census  RG09/4266/60/30

Regards
Roger

I dont think Jane was the author of the postcard- as she identified herself as nain T Jones- which it doesn't look like she married a Thomas but our original thought did. I do think that the date of death originally found by the Margaret (roberts) Jones was the wrong one perhaps and occurred after 1910. I think it might have just been a case of boarding there or with family/friends. Hard to say with everyone having the same last names. I haven't had much luck looking for further records so far though.

I will try to see if I have further documents that might add more info.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 15 December 17 18:19 GMT (UK) »
I'd come to the conclusion that Jane is only related to the Conways.So,the letter is a T not a J and "Nain T Jones" is Margaret,wife of Thomas.I'm still confident that Thomas died in 1884,but don't have a confident date for Margaret.She is in Rhyl in 1910,but I can't find her in 1911,but nor can I find a death record.or completeness,after Thomas dies,I think she is here:-

1891 RG12/4636/13/3
1901 RG13/5247/109/10

The Conways seem to have had a presence in Llanasa-I wonder if Jane i related to Edith somehow?

Regards
Roger

Offline CMooreddrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 16 December 17 07:59 GMT (UK) »
I'd come to the conclusion that Jane is only related to the Conways.So,the letter is a T not a J and "Nain T Jones" is Margaret,wife of Thomas.I'm still confident that Thomas died in 1884,but don't have a confident date for Margaret.She is in Rhyl in 1910,but I can't find her in 1911,but nor can I find a death record.or completeness,after Thomas dies,I think she is here:-

1891 RG12/4636/13/3
1901 RG13/5247/109/10

The Conways seem to have had a presence in Llanasa-I wonder if Jane i related to Edith somehow?

Regards
Roger

I think those are her as well- the Maggie in 1901 is likely the Margaret daughter of Catherine.

As for Jane and Edith being related- I still cant find anything substantial to connect them...but certainly still in the running

Offline CMooreddrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 16 December 17 08:07 GMT (UK) »

1891 RG12/4636/13/3
1901 RG13/5247/109/10

Regards
Roger

I found a Margaret Jones who died Oct-Nov-Dec 1916 and it was registered in Festiniog- but I cannot locate any other records to cross check any thing...

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 16 December 17 11:35 GMT (UK) »
It may require some further re-thinking,but I am convinced that Margaret,wife of Thomas died in Llandrillo in 1888.The burial record gives her as 65 years old with abode as Pentrebach.When John Roberts (her father) died in 1878,the grant of probate record gives "...John Roberts of Pentrebach....probate granted to Margaret Jones(wife of Thomas Jones) of Pentrebach,daughter and next of kin."

Regards
Roger

Offline CMooreddrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 16 December 17 18:07 GMT (UK) »
It may require some further re-thinking,but I am convinced that Margaret,wife of Thomas died in Llandrillo in 1888.The burial record gives her as 65 years old with abode as Pentrebach.When John Roberts (her father) died in 1878,the grant of probate record gives "...John Roberts of Pentrebach....probate granted to Margaret Jones(wife of Thomas Jones) of Pentrebach,daughter and next of kin."

Regards
Roger

Roger,

So I have an update on information- literally just received an email from a cousin (who i had only just come in contact with- here is some information for us!) About 1824 John Roberts owned Cwm Ucha Cynwyd Merioneth. He had a daughter Margaret who went on to marry Twm ap Twm (I think where the vicar of cynwyd thought about the horse thief!) and changed his name to Thomas Jones as he was being teased. He was a cousin to Ap Bychan whose father was his mothers brother. They had 4 children John Jones(who we know about), Robert (went to live at Leger, Denbigh), Catherine (Pentre Bach Llandrillo), and Susan (went to Liverpool and died there). Thomas Jones' mother (no name given) was born in 1799 and died at Pentre bach about 1886 she was called Nain Parlour. Thomas was born at Ceunant Cwm-Glanllafar near bala.

Unfortunately I cannot find anything related to Susan. This postcard still leaves a lot of questions though...like who Nain T Jones is, if in fact her grandmother did die in 1888. I do have a suggestion though- do you think it possible the person recorded for death had the name margaret but they recorded the wrong one? The possible date of death for Thomas' mother seems a bit too close to that 1888 date...I mean if we were able to find the likely person in 2 further census' it does raise questions.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 16 December 17 18:24 GMT (UK) »
It will take me a while to work through your latest information.It seems to me that the name on the postcard is Nain J Jones.If you compare the letter J in Jones with the forename initial it is remarkably simllar,with one stroke possibly missing.Given that Jane Jones is resident in 1901 and 1911,it would seem sensible for it to be her.Perhaps "Nain" has another meaning than the strict normal "Grandmother",perhaps an honorary title for a sister of Grandmother or Grandfather.Admittedly I can't yet make any family connection other than with the Cponways,but I'll carry on trying.

Regards
Roger