Author Topic: Mobey/Stanley link?  (Read 8954 times)

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
Mobey/Stanley link?
« on: Sunday 03 January 10 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

im trying to establish whether theres a family link between the Mobeys from Battersea area of London and Stanleys from Portsmouth area.

On the 1911 John Mobey,hawker/dealer born 1844 Notting Hill and wife Amelia(nee Huxley) born Kent, is stopping on land in Marlybone St,Southsea,Portsmouth with Michael Stanley born 1864 Brighton,wife Ada born 1869 Chatham,Kent and 7 children.

Ive been unable to find Michaels marriage(Mika on 1901) nor anything on John Mobey and Amelia Huxleys parents and  possible siblings.

If anyone can find a marriage link between these two families id be very grateful,

thanks,

Nel.

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
Re: Mobey/Stanley link?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 January 10 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Nel; Just marking this one with my interest.

Happens I'm in touch with someone who's related to the (relevant) Stanley's of Portsmouth and am helping her out, as best I can, with some snippets. Can't talk on here, because some of the people involved are, to the best of my knowledge, still alive.

However, I wonder if 'your' Stanley was a forebear of the people I know? If so, that'd be extremely interesting, both to my enquirer and myself.

Sorry I can't help ye with this Mobey question  :-\
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 January 10 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steve,

good to hear from you again.

If its useful to you,the 1911 info is as follows:

Michael Stanley born 1864 General Dealer Sussex.

Ada ??? born 1872 Hawker Chatham.

Daniel born 1894 Hawker Sussex.

Thomas born 1895 Hawker Sussex.

Ely born 1897 Hawker Sussex.

Phoebe born 1899 School Sussex.

Hilda born 1902 School Portsmouth.

Clara born 1904 School Portsmouth.

Yeila born 1907 Home Portsmouth.

Address:On land in Marlybone St,Southsea.

The only other family with them is John and Amelia Mobey.

Next door at 6 Marlybone St (house) is James Ware,hawker,and  family.

On the 1901:

Mika born 1864 Brighton Hawker of flowers, plants sundry domestic utensils.

Ada born 1869 Brighton.

Daniel born 1894 Brighton.

Thomas born 1895 Brighton.

Lushy born 1897 Brighton.

Phoebe born 1900 Portsmouth.

Clara born 1834 Portsmouth Mother.

Address: Caravan(south side of Old Canal)

Next door:a shed in a field adjacent to Engine House

Thomas Shore born 1837 Staines,Middlesex,Fisherman.Widow.

This is all ive found so far,ill let you you know if i find anything else.

If you manage to uncover a Stanley/Mobey link id be really grateful,

all the best,

Nel.

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 January 10 16:05 GMT (UK) »
 Some very interesting stuff in there, Nel! Cheers!

Ye know; I was wondering where this Marlybone St, Southsea was. Isn't there now and never was, in my time, as far as I ever knew.

But, " South side of the old canal " has given me a clue. We had an Ayres chap working on a Brickfield and living in a vardo, on the south side of the canal. Somehow or other, I worked it out that that must've been what's now Somerstown.

Now you're adding potential evidence to it. I have some old maps of Pompey somewhere around here. I'll have to see if I can dig them out again and have a look. If I can pin anything down I'll post my findings on here, for future reference for others.

Actually, I think it would be a fantastic project, for anyone 'on the ground', to try and map out the traditional stopping places of Pompey. Though, saying that; I don't know if anywhere much there could be said to have gained truly Traditional status. Certainly not in my time. 'Regular and Known', maybe? But, the damn place changed so constantly.

Anyway .....

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 January 10 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Steve

its intresting that you mention the brickfield as four of Michael Stanleys brothers are brickmakers on the 1881,,living with their parents in a tent in a field in Lawrence Rd.

Nel.

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 January 10 20:23 GMT (UK) »
 Lawrence Rd? I'm almost certain I remember were that is, Nel. A field there though? In 1881? Blimey! I wonder where that was? If I do have the right road in mind, I recall no particular breaks in the properties down there. Or properties I'd have thought were out of step with the others. I wonder if the whole road then was built on since 1881?

This is good!  ;D I'm enjoying this. It's sort of throwing my mind off in all directions.

I haven't had time to look out my old maps yet. But, I do remember, from earlier works with them, I discovered there were a good many 'Brick Fields' around Pompey, when ever these maps were drawn up. (I don't suppose ye at all familiar with the place, are ye?)

Listen; One of the things about that place which has played on my mind for half a century now is a couple of things about Alexandra Park there. My mum told me how, when she was a girl of under thirteen years of age, her mum and dad were at that park ~ mum in tow ~ and there was an encampment of vardo's.

My Granma beseeched Grandad that they buy a vardo and get back on the road. Only, he was having none of it. The rest remaining, as they say .....

It's not that bit I think about. It's the simple fact of a load of Gypsys actually pulling onto a place like Alexandra Park in the first place! It couldn't have been That radically different, back then, to how I grew up knowing it? All those horses and the fires on the grass though? I'd have loved to have seen the 'Parkies', blowing blood vessels left right and centre!  ;D

Thing is, although I've had a cursory stab at it, once or twice, I never have yet cracked that event ~ and whether it was a one off or not, or what ever.

Then, there was some sort of 'Gypsy Fair' / Show Out that took place there in my own time. I only ever encountered it the once. But, I certainly retain the impression it was 'officially' sanctioned. I was just too young to really comprehend it all at the time.

This too I hope to, one day, get to the bottom of.

(Sorry. Rather turned this into the " Portsmouth Gypsys " Thread, haven't I?  ::)

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 January 10 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Steve,

im not at all familiar with the geography of Portsmouth,only been there a few times when going to the Isle of Wight and looking at the Mary Rose etc.

The road immediately preceeding Lawrence on the census is Alexander Rd.

The only inhabitants of Lawrence Rd seem to be travellers.The others are:

James Hall,travelling musician,and family.

William Hughes and family.

Noah Stanley and family.

Samuel Stanley and family.

James Billows and family.

Richard Silas and family.

All licensed hawkers in tents/vans.

After them its just a blank page,so maybe it was a road waiting to be built on,or a road where buildings once stood.

Another thought ive had on the brickmaking,the area of London the Mobeys were from was Battersea,Notting Hill etc,i believe the area was old potteries/brickfields.I think it was known as the Great Metropolitan Gypsyries or something.A lot of the people who lived there,both Gypsy and Gorger,were brickworkers,so that could be a link,

it would be nice to find a link to the Stanleys ,

Nel   

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 00:56 GMT (UK) »
 This is Wild, Nel .....  :-\ .....  :-[

I've just ~ prompted by this thread ~ made the effort and dug out my old maps. Guess what? Only turns out the man who's been producing these mind expanding maps has just been awarded an MBE for his work!  :o Look!

And, guess what else? I'm now off to grab the two 'Pompey' maps I hadn't bothered (or been able?) to pick up at the time. One of which covers Southsea in 1896!

So, once I have that one, it'll show us Lawrence Rd. It is exactly where I remember it being. And, having 'slept on it', it's been coming back to me how there are (were?) indeed some quite outstanding, 'Big Houses' dotted sparsely about that area. Whack off big places. Ostentatious as all ell, in their own right. Even if they were bed sit blocks, or council offices by my time.

But, they alone suggest an earlier sense of grandeur, set away from the spread of the stink. That same stink as would have later engulfed the entire island. First the meadow fields becoming Brick Fields. Then the bricks being used to build more and more houses. Hundred more years and what have we?

Incidentally; Check out Lawrence Rd on Google. Trace down it. Right to the bottom. It runs into Albert Rd. K? Well, right there, on the corner, left hand / west side? That's where the old Poor House once stood. I have a photo of The Door. Studded, solid thing. Complete with wrought ironed inspection hole. God help the poor souls who found themselves tapping. Some of mine did  :(

Tell ye what? Make ye a deal; You work the London / Mobey end. I'll dig into the 'Portsea' / Stanley end. Let's see where we each end up. How's that sound?  ;D

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about delay in replying Steve,

was out and about getting some money in the kitty before all the bad weather turned up,also got a heavy cold which is making me feel really rough.

Its a deal with the research idea.Im not the worlds best researcher,so it might be slow going,got a very short concentration span.Thats why i tend to have lots of threads going at once.I dont think ive ever read a book from start to finish in my life.I normally have about ten going at the same time.

Ill give you some of the Mobey info i have to see if the give any clues to a Stanley link.

John Mobey born 1841 Shepards Bush/Notting Hill hose dealer(van)
Amelia Huxley born 1842 Kent.

No earlier info found on them.

John Mobey 1860 Fulham/Betsy Herne.

Names connected to her family so far:

Dixie,North.

Names connected to Dixie:

Eastwood,White,Smith,Deacons,Franklin.

John Mobeys daughter Caroline married Henry Davis.

Son Alfred married:

1 Emily Bone.

2 Annie McCartney.

Alfred/Emilys son John married Raney Smith,daughter of Major Smith and Lucy Cooper.

These are the names i have so far,so im looking for any Stanley link to these.

Ive got a book somewhere by one of the old Romany scholars,i think it was George Borrow,called Romano Lavo Lil(Romany word book).Its got a lot of info on this area  of London in the mid to late 1800s,so im going to try and find that.

Nel.